Ryan Taylor

Dave

Raylor's a defender by trade and he's not what you would describe as a footballing full back either like Beresford was or Ashley Cole. If you were to pick either him or Santon to carry the ball into the opposition half, who would most people say had the tools to do it? Of the two, Santon's a far better footballer in the attacking sense if you take dead balls out of the equation, yet we wouldn't dream of playing Santon in midfield. Of course it's going to limit our game if you put a defender in midfield.

Best winger at the club after Ben Arfa imo.

Raylor's a defender by trade and he's not what you would describe as a footballing full back either like Beresford was or Ashley Cole. If you were to pick either him or Santon to carry the ball into the opposition half, who would most people say had the tools to do it? Of the two, Santon's a far better footballer in the attacking sense if you take dead balls out of the equation, yet we wouldn't dream of playing Santon in midfield. Of course it's going to limit our game if you put a defender in midfield.

Best winger at the club after Ben Arfa imo.

Given his total of zero games on the wing as a professional footballer, I can see where you have formulated this idea from.

Taylor and Gutierrez both would look much better if they were balanced out by an attacking player on the other side and helpful, attacking fullbacks. Playing both of them is quite negative, and the Simpson and Taylor pairing of the right will continue to give us nothing at all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2109546/Alan-Pardew-says-buzz-returning-North-East.html

Newcastle’s Ryan Taylor can testify  to the local importance attached to this fixture.

The 27-year-old scored the only goal of the game with a  free-kick when the sides met in August — and now there is a song sung by supporters in his honour.

In fact, Ryan Taylor, over the wall (sung to the tune of Tom Hark) has even caught on in the dressing room this week, where Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez have been singing it.

Taylor said: ‘The first time I heard it was at Scunthorpe after the derby and it seemed to go on for ever. Someone did a good job and it made me giggle. There is hardly a day that goes by without someone mentioning the goal to me and it has got ridiculous since I joined Twitter. They are all pleading with me to do it again this weekend.

‘The nice thing was my dad was  there in the away end with my little brother and they said they’ve never experienced anything like it at a game.

‘When they were on the bus home and people realised who they were, well I think it is safe to say they had a very good night.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2109546/Alan-Pardew-says-buzz-returning-North-East.html#ixzz1o0grBMOi

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4168578/Newcastles-Ryan-Taylor-targets-more-derby-glory-v-Sunderland.html

Ryan hopes to go over the wall again

2nd March 2012

THERE was only one person happier than Ryan Taylor when his free-kick fired Newcastle to derby glory last August.

Stadium of Light went suitably bonkers.

Boss Alan Pardew and, especially his Geordie No 2 John Carver certainly lapped up the moment.

But deep in the away end sat Taylor's dad Darren, who was having the time of his life as his little boy dramatically etched himself into Newcastle folklore.

Ryan "Over the wall" Taylor is not the kind of nickname which slips off the tongue.

But the former Wigan midfielder loves it — and will never tire of thinking about his old man joining in the celebrations on the delirious fan buses heading back to Tyneside.

He said: "I get reminded of the goal all the time. There is hardly a day goes by without someone mentioning it to me.

"It has got ridiculous since I joned Twitter, they are all pleading with me to do it again this weekend.

"It is a great memory to have and one I will never forget.

"I have been offered drinks and stuff like that but to be honest, I am not really a drinker and have not really taken anyone up on it.

"If anyone wants to buy me a lemonade, I will take that!

"My Dad was there with my little brother and some mates and said he has never experienced anything quite like it.

"The whole lot of them said it was the best time they have ever had at a game.

"They said the fans were incredible, they could not believe the singing went on all game and then after the game as well.

"They had to stay behind with the rest of the fans and said it was just rocking. Then they had to get one of the buses home because they could not go by car.

"When they were on the bus, people started to realise who they were. I think it is safe to say they had a very good night."

With one flash of his magic right boot, likeable Scouser Taylor, who started out at Tranmere, went from bit-part player to local hero.

He has established himself as a key man at St James' Park under Alan Pardew.

And he added: "It was great for the team but also for myself in terms of confidence.

"It gave me a massive boost. It was so early in the season and it got me going but what has happened since is down too me training hard every day and showing the gaffer that I want to play. I would not say that goal kept me in the team because it is about performances and not just goals."

There is plenty at stake tomorrow lunchtime other than local bragging rights.

Toon are still bang in the Euro hunt while Sunderland have the FA Cup in their sights and a strong end to the season could see Martin O'Neill making a late top six push.

Pardew said: "I would hate to have been sitting here saying this game was the be all and end all of the season.

"It would have been awful if we were 12th, they were 13th, we were both out of the cups and this was all either of us had to play for. It's not like that.

"They're still in the cup and we obviously have a great chance of getting European football. It isn't the be all and end all, although you try telling that to the fans who'll be turning up on Sunday.

"This is a fixture that as a southerner, which I am, I'm slightly detached from. That might be of benefit. Am I going to be like John Carver on the sideline? No I'm not.

"The atmosphere and passion of the game is not passing me by but I've got to make sure that my team perform and the biggest focus is that we perform better than we did against Wolves last weekend.

"If we perform like we did in that game, we're going to get beat."

[email protected]

Thought Pardew said he thought we were good against Wolves? ???

Anyway, hope Taylor does score another cracker if he does start this weekend, don't think he should be starting for us honestly but he's earned the affection of the fans with that goal in August.

We better fucking beat these.

certainly make more sense putting santon in midfield than raylor, the only reason raylor gets the gig at the wings is because pards cant f***ing get away from his direct play and favours raylors crossing. that is it.  we all know santon is first and formost a winger by trade and it wasnt that long ago he was converted to a defender at inter.

if anyone is to take a man on, out on the right wing, out of , raylor, potatohead,santon,

it would be santon.  ofcourse we got the option of hatem, but atleast santon would provide that extra workrate and tackling if pards is worry about that turd mr longball simpson being exposed.

Guest Dontooner

He playing quite well, at left back tbh, his understanding with Jonas and creating space with his off balls runs are quite good. Intelligent player, maybe we should just get rid of Simpson and put Santon on the right.

Horrific performance if we're on honest. Set pieces were poor, especially. Agree with the above poster that he's fine when he's not in the limelight. He's not a 'make things happen' player, which is what you are when you're put out at wide-right in our midfield.

Guest palnese

Both him and Jonas plays like a third and fourth CM. We're way too narrow in the middle of the park, and Simpson is too scared to attack the room Raylor leaves.

Santon is doing that fairly well, but he hasn't really clicked with Jonas, yet.

He should never play on the wing again, his first half performance was pathetic.

Was pretty much anonymous out there. Was better when we was moved to LB imo, linked with Jonas well at times. I have mentioned this before, I can understand Raylor starting if we wanted to play a more "conservative" game. Today, however, was not one of those games where a "conservative" approach would have been the best option. Today was more rather about running at/attacking what is/was an unfrightening mackem team.

Was pretty much anonymous out there. Was better when we was moved to LB imo, linked with Jonas well at times. I have mentioned this before, I can understand Raylor starting if we wanted to play a more "conservative" game. Today, however, was not one of those games where a "conservative" approach would have been the best option. Today was more rather about running at/attacking what is/was an unfrightening mackem team.

Ryan Taylor was no better on the left than Santon was in the first, Santon was one of the few players in the first half who wanted to run with the ball and make a pass.

Ryan Taylor was no better on the left than Santon was in the first, Santon was one of the few players in the first half who wanted to run with the ball and make a pass.

I didn't understand the Santon substitution btw - I didn't agree with it at all. Would probably have gone with what others have said in other threads - taking Simpson off (he was on a yellow card and did have a bit of a overzealous temper today I thought) and moving Santon to RB with Raylor at LB.