Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

Sebastien Bassong and Jonas Gutierrez have been good signings to be fair, but will they still be at Newcastle next season given the current trend of selling our best players?

All the "best" players that have left thus far wanted to leave. Why can't people realise that?

Clubs who want to go places don't sell their best players whether they want to go or not. They keep them, go forwards and make them want to stay. Can't see Gareth Barry braying at the Villa door again this summer.

I've just answered this too. I honestly think this concept is too difficult for some.

Theres no concept there NE5 - its a non point, much like me saying Arsenal dont want to go anywhere becasue they sold Henry, or Viera. Says everything, means nothing.

Try again, maybe thats why people find it so difficult.

Sebastien Bassong and Jonas Gutierrez have been good signings to be fair, but will they still be at Newcastle next season given the current trend of selling our best players?

All the "best" players that have left thus far wanted to leave. Why can't people realise that?

Clubs who want to go places don't sell their best players whether they want to go or not. They keep them, go forwards and make them want to stay. Can't see Gareth Barry braying at the Villa door again this summer.

I've just answered this too. I honestly think this concept is too difficult for some.

Theres no concept there NE5 - its a non point, much like me saying Arsenal dont want to go anywhere becasue they sold Henry, or Viera. Says everything, means nothing.

Try again, maybe thats why people find it so difficult.

you've just confirmed my previous statement.

“We were drinking in a bar, but weren’t supposed to be at a meeting.

“What happened was we had a meeting with Zabeel Investments in the afternoon, but it wasn’t a realistic deal – it was never going to happen.

“They offered us a ridiculous deal and we said ‘fine’ and then went to the pub.

“It was very nice and that was it. We were drinking in a bar and that was it – there was no meeting.”

So....was there a meeting or not??

“I have heard the chants as well, some of it’s very funny.

I have a sense of humour and they aren’t being spiteful so I can understand it."

im glad you're finding this situation funny, mate.

Newcastle have not ruled out the possibility of stadium expansion in future years, while fans will be delighted to see that a scoreboard is about to make a return to St James’s for the first time since the early 1990s.

woooohoooo  O0 its about time

I'll take your Barry, and raise you Henry. Ill also look forwards to seeing where Drogba and Ronaldo end up, not that it adds anything yours or my point, as neither of us have one.

Ronaldo's still at Man Utd, despite wanting to be away two summers on the bounce. Ditto Drogba really.

another concept again, which appears to difficult to grasp, is when a player has won things at his current club and wants a new challenge.

:lol: Good spin.  So what was Woodgates excuse for leaving? And what if we havent won anything for a while, is that not good enough reason to "want a new challenge".

I have a sense of humour and they aren’t being spiteful so I can understand it."

I wish he'd told his pal Mike, he seemed to take it quite personally.

“What happened was we had a meeting with Zabeel Investments in the afternoon, but it wasn’t a realistic deal – it was never going to happen.

“It was very nice and that was it. We were drinking in a bar and that was it – there was no meeting.”

From that, there was a meeting where Ashley was offered a "ridiculous deal" which was dismissed by Ashley who then went to the pub. 

The initial story was that Ashley had ignored the meeting entirely to go to the pub, whereas according to Llambias' statement the meeting had already occurred by the time they'd reached the pub.

We were "told" the Ashley would invest £20M a season in the first team.

Why do you keep saying this despite people telling you that we were "told" no such thing?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/mike-ashley-statement

"I was always prepared to bankroll Newcastle up to the tune of £20m per year."

OK it's not on the first team.

But does this not contradict Lambarse's stated intention of having the club run at an overall loss of just £7M in 2 years?

Has Ashley channged his mind on what he's willing to spend since taking us off the market and wanting to make a go of it?

Currently: Loss of £20m = Ashley puts in £20m to cover

2 Years Time: Loss of £7m = Ashley puts in £7m to cover and £13m for squad building

I see.

So where's this £8M for summer spending come from?  Considering the loss last year was supposed to be £36M.  Is he pumping £44M in?

Why double the investment in the summer if you want to decrease losses and tighten your belt?

Nothing they say adds up.

Might god your complaining because he's spent MORE money !! He said he would cover at least £20m a season. During his interview when he said he would sell he said he would still cover this but nothing else. Yet he is paying out more money and your complaining.  Do you even know what your complaint is ?

He never said "at least".  He said "up to".  See the link above.

I'm complaining that they're liars.

They lied by spending more though have I got that bit right ?

What has Ashley spent?

£100 million as a loan,

£70 million of that was used to clear the old debt

£30 million has been put in to keep the club going.

Since the 30th June he has put in a further £10 million of cash as working capital.

£138 million to buy the club

total investment is £248 million so far.

Who knows if they will spend more, but the accounts we've seen only mention an ongoing investment of £10m, so it's half the maximum amount he harked on about in the first place.

It's yet to be seen if he coughs up the money needed to buy in the Summer and keep our losses down to £20M.

Again, I'll not hold my breath.

So in 6 months he has paid £10m for ongoing investment.

In the 12 months to June 08 he paid £30m for ongoing costs.

So even if he doesn't put another penny in he has put in £20m a year on average.

Of course that is assuming that the club has no more bills to pay between now and June and therefore would not require any further cash injection

£100M to clear debt according to Mort.

Then Mike Ashley says "I paid £134 million out of my own pocket for the club. I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt. Even worse than that, the club still owes millions of pounds in transfer fees....  Before I had spent a penny on wages or buying players Newcastle United had cost me more than a quarter of a billion pounds."

But the accounts showit's just £70M of debt and £30M of ongoing costs.

If he wants to claim he's spent £20M a year keeping us afloat that's fine, but he can't double count it and claim he's spent a quarter of a billion BEFORE that further investment.

He's just explained. They were not meant to be at a meeting when they were in the bar. They were in a meeting on the afternoon. When they were drinking there was no meeting.

why are you incapable of realising whey they "all" want to leave ?

Would you like to point where I've not realised that and said things to the contrary?

... clearly, there wasn't a meeting.

How is he laughing at the situation? He's laughing at some chants.

Yet more twisting.

Meanwhile United confirmed they go back in for January transfer targets Kieran Richardson, Michael Johnson, Nedum Onuoha and Albin Ebondo in the summer.

No-quotes-tastic, but how can they possibly confirm that? And why?

Meanwhile United confirmed they go back in for January transfer targets Kieran Richardson, Michael Johnson, Nedum Onuoha and Albin Ebondo in the summer.

No-quotes-tastic, but how can they possibly confirm that? And why?

From one of the the Journal pieces today

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/11/derek-llambias-says-we-re-still-a-buying-club-61634-22901430/

“We aren’t a selling club, we’re a buying club. We are out there in the market. We never said no to any requests. We tried to get Michael Johnson in all sorts of different ways. We tried cash and we tried players. We tried for Nedum Onuoha and we tried for Elano.

“But none of those combinations came off. It’s a terrible window that upsets everybody, so for us, we couldn’t actually spend the money we had.

“We tried as hard as possible to get players in a short period of time. Whatever players the manager has asked for, he’s had, or at least we’ve made an offer and tried to get a deal done.

“Are we disappointed we didn’t get another midfielder? Yes. Are we disappointed we didn’t get another right-back? Yes. But that window is so awkward, although we will be going back in the summer for certain individuals that we went for in the summer.”

Tried for Elano too, interesting.

"although we will be going back in the summer for certain individuals that we went for in the summer.”

Clearly the Chronicle has read between the lines on that and assumed it means the 4 public bids.

I still don't get how they know that they'll be going back for the same players, considering our (rubbish) manager is about to have a heart operation. Perhaps they're Wise's picks.

In any case, I don't see how it helps us to admit it now. Surely the prices will just go up?

... clearly, there wasn't a meeting.

How is he laughing at the situation? He's laughing at some chants.

Yet more twisting.

not really. he's on about the hull match when the protests happened. they weren't cute little chants, yet he found them "very funny".

Why do you keep saying this despite people telling you that we were "told" no such thing?

But does this not contradict Lambarse's stated intention of having the club run at an overall loss of just £7M in 2 years?

Has Ashley channged his mind on what he's willing to spend since taking us off the market and wanting to make a go of it?

2 Years Time: Loss of £7m = Ashley puts in £7m to cover and £13m for squad building

I see.

So where's this £8M for summer spending come from?  Considering the loss last year was supposed to be £36M.  Is he pumping £44M in?

Why double the investment in the summer if you want to decrease losses and tighten your belt?

Might god your complaining because he's spent MORE money !! He said he would cover at least £20m a season. During his interview when he said he would sell he said he would still cover this but nothing else. Yet he is paying out more money and your complaining.  Do you even know what your complaint is ?

What has Ashley spent?

£100 million as a loan,

Since the 30th June he has put in a further £10 million of cash as working capital.

Who knows if they will spend more, but the accounts we've seen only mention an ongoing investment of £10m, so it's half the maximum amount he harked on about in the first place.

It's yet to be seen if he coughs up the money needed to buy in the Summer and keep our losses down to £20M.

So even if he doesn't put another penny in he has put in £20m a year on average.

Of course that is assuming that the club has no more bills to pay between now and June and therefore would not require any further cash injection

Then Mike Ashley says "I paid £134 million out of my own pocket for the club. I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt. Even worse than that, the club still owes millions of pounds in transfer fees....  Before I had spent a penny on wages or buying players Newcastle United had cost me more than a quarter of a billion pounds."

But the accounts showit's just £70M of debt and £30M of ongoing costs.

If he wants to claim he's spent £20M a year keeping us afloat that's fine, but he can't double count it and claim he's spent a quarter of a billion BEFORE that further investment.

are those accounts covering just 1 year ?

I'll take your Barry, and raise you Henry. Ill also look forwards to seeing where Drogba and Ronaldo end up, not that it adds anything yours or my point, as neither of us have one.

Ronaldo's still at Man Utd, despite wanting to be away two summers on the bounce. Ditto Drogba really.

another concept again, which appears to difficult to grasp, is when a player has won things at his current club and wants a new challenge.

:lol: Good spin.  So what was Woodgates excuse for leaving? And what if we havent won anything for a while, is that not good enough reason to "want a new challenge".

Real Madrid ?

You've confirmed - again - you don't understand this.

Guest Mucky01

I still don't get how they know that they'll be going back for the same players, considering our (rubbish) manager is about to have a heart operation. Perhaps they're Wise's picks.

In any case, I don't see how it helps us to admit it now. Surely the prices will just go up?

he doesn’t care about that, the whole thing of naming players is to appease the restless natives,

“look we tried, honest” – yeah right, failed again you mean.

why are you incapable of realising whey they "all" want to leave ?

Would you like to point where I've not realised that and said things to the contrary?

do you realise why they want to leave ?

Do you understand why Keegan left ?

I see.

What has Ashley spent?

£100 million as a loan,

But the accounts show it's just £70M of debt and £30M of ongoing costs.

Aye.  Summer 2007 to June 2008.

Since the 30th June he has put in a further £10 million of cash as working capital.  As well as earning about £9M on transfers

I was reading some of the stuff Llambias said in these interviews, and that bit about wanting to adopt the same model as Villa in particular.

But he then goes on to say the Dennis Wise / manager / DoF style seperation of roles works very well.

Ironically, probably the main reason Lerner and MON have done so well at Villa is because there is a chairman who trusts his manager's judgement 100 percent and makes the money available, and lets the manager get on with running the club.

Having complications like Wise will never let that kind of situation flourish.

Get back in your own thread NE5.

nowt to say then ?

Just joking man, I'm pretty bored, we all know spending money improves your chances of doing well, but it's not a given, you need the right manager, the right scouts and the right amount of money but you can do well without spending massive amount if you have the right manager e.g. Moyes and Everton.

on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a decent manager, and it IS a lottery, and don't back him, he'll be off. Like Moyes, unless Everton are taken over or it all suddenly goes tits up for him.

When you say "do well", how well do YOU want to do ?

It's a lottery getting a good manager?

No it's a skill, not an easy one but it is definately a skill.

is it now ?

We'll see how easily Arsenal replace Wenger and ManU replace Ferguson.

Or Everton replace Moyes ..........

Even a "good manager" isn't necessarily the "right manager", which I suppose adds credence to NE5's "lottery" theory.

Bit simplistic on the whole though, as usual.

you mean "realistic", as usual. Which also, as usual, too many people fail to grasp.

were you happy with the kinnear appointment ?

hey getting a good manager is a lottery right,surely theres as much chance getting a s*** one to turn out good results as there is a good one turning out bad to your thinking or maybe you are piffling again in anattempt to detect any criticism from the your beloved fred ?

(conversly it must work with players aswell...shevchenko,veron,woodgate at real,keane at liverpool......good players who didn't do it so surely it means it's pointless spending big as these players prove it works)

i'll stop you in your tracks........."back your manager"............what with ? where was the money going to come from......at this point you mention the debt of others and as always i mention the debt of the top 4 is different to ours as they are making money aside from those with sugar daddies where as we have consistently made losses (not a good scenario when begging to the banks with few assets left to hock). look at the other clubs who,like us have lived beyond their means,they are all cutting right back and ask yourself what liverpools or arsenals spending would be like if they missed out on the champs league for 3 or 4 years ?

often on here you have alluded to others having thir heads in the sand but it is clear the one one doing an ostrich is yourself in relation to the position fred left us in.

I see.

What has Ashley spent?

£100 million as a loan,

But the accounts show it's just £70M of debt and £30M of ongoing costs.

Aye.  Summer 2007 to June 2008.

Since the 30th June he has put in a further £10 million of cash as working capital.  As well as earning about £9M on transfers

what about before 30th june 2007 ?

Get back in your own thread NE5.

nowt to say then ?

Just joking man, I'm pretty bored, we all know spending money improves your chances of doing well, but it's not a given, you need the right manager, the right scouts and the right amount of money but you can do well without spending massive amount if you have the right manager e.g. Moyes and Everton.

on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a decent manager, and it IS a lottery, and don't back him, he'll be off. Like Moyes, unless Everton are taken over or it all suddenly goes tits up for him.

When you say "do well", how well do YOU want to do ?

It's a lottery getting a good manager?

No it's a skill, not an easy one but it is definately a skill.

is it now ?

We'll see how easily Arsenal replace Wenger and ManU replace Ferguson.

Or Everton replace Moyes ..........

Even a "good manager" isn't necessarily the "right manager", which I suppose adds credence to NE5's "lottery" theory.

Bit simplistic on the whole though, as usual.

you mean "realistic", as usual. Which also, as usual, too many people fail to grasp.

were you happy with the kinnear appointment ?

hey getting a good manager is a lottery right,surely theres as much chance getting a shit one to turn out good results as there is a good one turning out bad to your thinking or maybe you are piffling again in anattempt to detect any criticism from the your beloved fred ?

(conversly it must work with players aswell...shevchenko,veron,woodgate at real,keane at liverpool......good players who didn't do it so surely it means it's pointless spending big as these players prove it works)

i'll stop you in your tracks........."back your manager"............what with ? where was the money going to come from......at this point you mention the debt of others and as always i mention the debt of the top 4 is different to ours as they are making money aside from those with sugar daddies where as we have consistently made losses (not a good scenario when begging to the banks with few assets left to hock). look at the other clubs who,like us have lived beyond their means,they are all cutting right back and ask yourself what liverpools or arasenals spending would be like if they missed out on the champs league for 3 or 4 years ?

often on hear you have alluded to others having thir heads in the sand but it is clear the one one doing an ostrich is yourself in relation to the position fred left us in.

Either that or "Im pleased for you that you think it was a bad thing qualifying for the CL and top 5 finishes, hopefully soopa Mike will get us back up there with his masterplan"

Real Madrid ?

You've confirmed - again - you don't understand this.

Man City?