Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton - 22/02/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

Sarper - 7 - Good save on that corner-chance, poor distribution though.

Saylor - 7 - Looks twice as good as a RB than he does at CB.

Foloccini - 7 - Solid

Sassong - 8 - Terrific again, top class defender. My MOTM

Jnrique - 8 - Another good game for him.

Raylor - 6 - Quality deliveries, but not much more.

Nutt - 6.5 - Credit where it's due, he did well today

Kolan - 5 - Was our best player before the sending off. Shame he may or may not have lost us 2 points

Duff - 5 - Ineffective, offered very little

Smeobi - 4 - Shite.

Pövenkrands - 6.5 - Had a good first half bar that chance, and ran his socks off the entire game.

Jutierez - 5 - Never got into the game

Oartins - 6 - Tried, but was never going to give us much playing as a lone striker

Cughton - 7 - Understandable starting XI, took off both Duff and Ameobi :thup:

Pro Evo! :lol:

Some of the feedback on Raylor's been a bit harsh imo. His delivery was consistently very good and he made some very able contributions outside of that too - positive forward ball into Shola for the Lovenkrands sitter and a fantastically timed challenge on Baines (I think) inside our penalty area. He's looking like a very good piece of business AND he's playing out of position!

The photo of the Nolan tackle is shocking. How the kid's leg isn't broken is beyond me. Am I right in thinking it seems out of character for Nolan? Don't seem to remember him getting sent off for anything that bad when he was at Bolton.

I also hope that Duff and Ameobi are dropped for next week. The former - I called it before the game in saying that he hasn't got the ability to put two good performances together. £70K a week? It's a joke. As for Ameobi - was as pitiful a peformance I've seen since Rob McDonald. I've tried to stick up for him in the past, but the fact that he's been given a new deal speaks volumes. Apparently he missed some training this week. Begs the question if it's true, why was he risked ahead of Martins or Viduka? Woeful tatics from Hughton and Calderwood. :thdn:

Everton were there to be beaten today - had we been brave enough to have a go. It's a missed opportunity and we could now be looking until the back end of April to see our next home point. Anyone feeling confident with the Mancs, Arsenal and Chelsea being the next 3 visitors?

Season can't end quick enough for me now.

Yes, for the Arsenal match. Theyve been an absolute joke this season and theyre there for the taking....especially at SJP

Have not seen full match yet, but a really shocking tackle from Nolan - deserves to be suspended for 6 matches, never mind 3...

Completely indefensible, went in deliberately from the side with both feet, almost jumping on the player's leg.

This is probably the reason Nolan was available - he has a tendency to lose it in tackles, and Bolton knew all about that...

In the circumstances, a draw is a creditable result because every point is vital, but Nolan's recklessness will cost the club because his physical presence is useful in midfield - IF it is kept under control...

Not surprised at the high ratings given to Enrique - he's a good player, now starting to prove it more regularly.

Have not seen full match yet, but a really shocking tackle from Nolan - deserves to be suspended for 6 matches, never mind 3...

Completely indefensible, went in deliberately from the side with both feet, almost jumping on the player's leg.

This is probably the reason Nolan was available - he has a tendency to lose it in tackles, and Bolton knew all about that...

In the circumstances, a draw is a creditable result because every point is vital, but Nolan's recklessness will cost the club because his physical presence is useful in midfield - IF it is kept under control...

Not surprised at the high ratings given to Enrique - he's a good player, now starting to prove it more regularly.

I really don't think it was deliberate.  It was what, his second career sending off?  Doesn't sound ilke someone who regularly loses it.

I think it's one of those horrible events where chance and poor luck creates a horrible looking tackle.

I feel terrible for the Everton guy, and it was a definite red card.  Yeah, he probably deserves a 3-game suspension because you can't let tackles like that slide.  But it wasn't deliberate or malicious.

Guest battyleespeed

I wonder if he has fully understood the implications of that one rash tackle. There isn't anyone to replace him while he's gonna sit out the next 3-4 matches and not only that the other half-decent CM Butt is going to look real bad with a make-shift replacement like Geremi. At least there was a little hope of having some control in midfield with Nolan and Butt breaking up the play and holding the formation together. The likes of Geremi and Smith are going to ruin any composure the team had. 

Guest optimistic nit

classic tackle for how to break a leg.

f***ing stupid player.

i imagine when we play barton and nolan together for sure we wont finish the games with 11 man.

Because Nolan has been making tackles like this his whole career....

I admit it was f***ing stupid but lets not go OTT and make him out to be Lee Cattermole.

he is not like that c*** Cattermole but we all know that he is the type of player that is capable of doing something like this.Like we all know Barton is capable of doing something like this.

For example the chances of Nolan or Barton making that kind of tackles is much higher then players like Fabregas or Carick for example

:doh:

Yeah, Barton or Nolan have a higher chance of making a bad tackle than Fabregas or Carrick because they tackle more.

Stunning revelation that.

No.

Barton and Nolan are the type of players which you will not be surprised if you see them make that kind of tackle.

Fabregas and Carick have alot more mind in their games then Nolan and Barton.

We all saw that today.

what shite is this? :lol:

Probably a contender for worst premier league game of the season.

Harper- 5- Rotten distribution

R Taylor-6 Started well and faded a tad

Bassong-7- Did well

Colo- 6- Generally okay

S Taylor- 7- Did well out of position

Butt- 5- Usual dross

Nolan- 2- Imbecile, deserves a hefty fine

Duff- 5- Average

Lovenkrands- 4- Offered absolutely nowt

Shola- 5- How many more chances will he get?

Jonas- 5- Final ball remains predictably cack.

Martins- 4- Not fit, waste of time.

Smith- 4- Not involved

Hughton-3 - Grow a set

MOTM- Joleon Lescott who mopped up everything.

And your favourite left-back?

Was our best player out there by far in my mind. Got some well deserved applause and encouragement from the fans as well.

Martins - 4, waste of time?

What the fuck was he supposed to do when up top on his own having only clearances to run for? No one would be able to do much up front in the situation we were in yesterday. He still managed to put Jonas in on goal as well.

Probably a contender for worst premier league game of the season.

Harper- 5- Rotten distribution

R Taylor-6 Started well and faded a tad

Bassong-7- Did well

Colo- 6- Generally okay

S Taylor- 7- Did well out of position

Butt- 5- Usual dross

Nolan- 2- Imbecile, deserves a hefty fine

Duff- 5- Average

Lovenkrands- 4- Offered absolutely nowt

Shola- 5- How many more chances will he get?

Jonas- 5- Final ball remains predictably cack.

Martins- 4- Not fit, waste of time.

Smith- 4- Not involved

Hughton-3 - Grow a set

MOTM- Joleon Lescott who mopped up everything.

Harper 5?

With all due respect, f*** off

Looks like he also has the two Taylor's round the wrong way. And no Enrique...

For large portions of the match, particularly the first half, the neutral observer might have thought that Saylor was indeed playing in midfield with Raylor behind him. And while it might not be G. Neville-Beckham in it's skill and creativity, it has the potential to be a complimentary and solid partnership. And with the Enrique-Guitierrez partnership on the left, it offers considerable protection against teams that use wingers...

However, it also lacks flair and especially potency. Good for away games perhaps, but without creativity in the middle or on the flanks we aren't going to score a whole lot. Especially if the fucking donkey ever plays again.

After 30-odd pages, Slugsy summed it up pretty much perfectly for mine:

Pluses for me were Bassong, S Taylor, Enrique.  First time I have seen R Taylor and to be honest I thought he was average though playing in a way which seemed to be dictated ie staying inside and allowing S Taylor to drive forward, so will reserve judgement.  Duff was rank and Ameobi, well I'm just sick and tired of seeing him, he is awful, down right awful.  Jonas was also dissapointing for once and while Butt tried his heart out, he is clearly over the hill.  Finally, Nolan, what an idiot!

I thought Jonas had his worst game for us yesterday, didn't get one cross right all afternoon, floated past the players with relative ease but the final product was'nt there!

Ameobi was poor aswell, didn't battle for anything and was no threat whatsoever. Lovenkrands wasn't much better TBF.

Defence looked ok but we had a few scrappy balls that weren't cleared quick enough.

Butt played better yesterday and Nolan was working hard and keeping us ticking in midfield until his brain imploded!

We deffo need both duff and jonas on if we are sticking with butt and nolan in centre midfield just to get us some flair and pace into the game.

MARTINS & VIDUKA, PLEASE COME BACK AND PLAY, EVEN IF YOU ARE 30% FIT YOU WILL BE BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE.

I do think that Harper's performance yesterday deserves some criticism. He made a terrific reaction save early on and a late save, but other than that had very little to do. Everton had few really good opportunities.

And his distribution was awful. So dreadful it stood out. There was a stretch there where he repeatedly booted the ball out of play and Everton throw ins.

I do think that Harper's performance yesterday deserves some criticism. He made a terrific reaction save early on and a late save, but other than that had very little to do. Everton had few really good opportunities.

And his distribution was awful. So dreadful it stood out. There was a stretch there where he repeatedly booted the ball out of play and Everton throw ins.

I never bought this nonsense about us having the best pair of keepers in the Premier League. We had a great keeper in Given and an able deputy in Harper. I dont think he's any great shakes. He should have done better at WBA for at least one of the goals and yesterday his distribution was shoddy and was simply inviting pressure on.

From the daily mail:

NEWCASTLE (4-4-2): Harper 7; S Taylor 7, Coloccini 6, Bassong 7, Enrique 7; R Taylor 7, Nolan 6, Butt 6, Duff 5 (Gutierrez 45min, 6); Ameobi 5 (Martins 59, 5), Lovenkrands 5 (Smith 77). Sent off: Nolan.

EVERTON (4-4-2): Howard 6; Jagielka 7, Yobo 7, Lescott 7, Baines 7; Neville 7, Arteta 6 (Castillo 7 7), Rodwell 8, Gosling 7 (Saha 74, 7); Anichebe 6 (Fellaini 45, 6), Jo 5.

Must say i agree very much with this... Nolan was playing ok till he got the red card.

I can see where people are coming from with Harpers ratings.  As good as his shotstopping/collecting crosses was, his distribution was fucking woeful.

We're playing with one up top, and he's punting it straight down the middle for Lescott to head away.  Also WTF happened with a free kick he took in the second half, which went straight out for a throw in?  Arguably had he used his left foot it wouldn't have happened.

hey lads, wasnt the most spectacular match in the end despite my 'could be contender for games of the season' quote. I think overall i am happy we got a point, we don't have a great record away to Newcastle, we had cahill missing and many more, and then to lose Arteta after 3 mins and Anichebe before half time were killer blows as well. I think we created 1 or 2 chances we could have scored but overall there was no real quality in the team. The only good news is we have West Brom next so hopefully we can take 3 points and still push on to top 6 and europe without arteta and yakubu long term absentees now. As for the FA Cup, well it might be a bit premature to say this but i cannot see us beating Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd without Arteta so i think our hopes have significantly faltered. Anyways, nice to see Nolan apologised and good luck for the rest of the season.