Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton - 22/02/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

Bassong is so fucking good, MOTM again today IMO. He's our lynchpin; you'd not guess Coloccini was the one who cost £10m. Steven Taylor did quite well, and Ryan Taylor's deliveries looked good again. Good to see Oba back, and I was impressed with Hughton's changes.

The pity is that Everton really weren't that good at all, and with Nolan we could well have got all three points.

He`s closing in on player of the year imo.

Could be a crucial point in the end - the defence did really well after we went down to 10men. However, doesn't excuse the fact that Hughton got his team selection very wrong, and also the cowardly challenge from Nolan. This was a game we could have won, if we had been brave enough.

Begs the question - is Hughton doing what he is told from 'above', in the absence of Kinnear?

I thought Hughton got his substitutes spot on today.

well other than bringing smith on of course

Butt was immense today. Constantly positioned himself well in midfield, made some good tackles, kept possession when needed and put the ref under pressure just like captain should.   :clap:

That's the kind of situation Butt can get away with; he just trundles around and gets in the way to good effect.

When we have to actually pass, move and play he's utter dogshit.

Bassong is so f***ing good, MOTM again today IMO. He's our lynchpin; you'd not guess Coloccini was the one who cost £10m. Steven Taylor did quite well, and Ryan Taylor's deliveries looked good again. Good to see Oba back, and I was impressed with Hughton's changes.

The pity is that Everton really weren't that good at all, and with Nolan we could well have got all three points.

Already his.

We should have won this match.

Fullstop.

Another chance wasted, forget who we were playing. We had a CLEAR chance to score & a player sent off when we were clearly playing well.

Lets see if we appreciate 1 point after we play liverpool united and chelsea & the teams around us all move upwards.

Bassong is so f***ing good, MOTM again today IMO. He's our lynchpin; you'd not guess Coloccini was the one who cost £10m. Steven Taylor did quite well, and Ryan Taylor's deliveries looked good again. Good to see Oba back, and I was impressed with Hughton's changes.

Has already wrapped it up tbh.

Could be a crucial point in the end - the defence did really well after we went down to 10men. However, doesn't excuse the fact that Hughton got his team selection very wrong, and also the cowardly challenge from Nolan. This was a game we could have won, if we had been brave enough.

Begs the question - is Hughton doing what he is told from 'above', in the absence of Kinnear?

I thought Hughton got his substitutes spot on today.

Not denying that. But his starting XI wasn't the right choice, when you had the likes of Martins and Jonas available.

Guest timmy boy

I cant wait until we have a midfielder who can pick a pass and has some class on the ball. Our ball retention is crap. Collo always looks for the long ball, we need a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and dictate the play.

Guest Chris P

Butt was immense today. Constantly positioned himself well in midfield, made some good tackles, kept possession when needed and put the ref under pressure just like captain should.   :clap:

Brilliant ,man of the match for me. Bassong is becoming world class. good old dennis wise

From the bits of the game I saw and partially the radio:

Harper 6 - did what he had to

Saylor 7 - bombed forward, but probably a bit much towards to the end

Colo 6.5 - no complaints, dealt with threat well in the most part

Bassong 8 - rock at the back

Enrique 8 - had a great game, one excellent cross in particular

Duff 5 - maintains record of not having one good game after the other

Nolan 5 - offered little before horrific tackle

Butt 6.5 - had a good game by his standards

Raylor 7 - full of industry

Shola 4.5 - rotten

Lovenkrands 5.5 - ran his socks off, missed sitter, faded badly towards the end

SUBS

Jonas 6.5 - did well enough

Martins 6 - did alright in spells

Smith 5.5 - the fact he didn't manage any fuckups get him a mark above 5!

EDIT: Hughton 7

Full marks for the subs, even Smith, although loses points for not dropping Shola.

I've been very down on the quality of this team all year, but if you can keep Bassong, Jonas, Oba and Lovenkrands in the team until May with a fit again Guthrie, keep RTaylor providing those really good set pieces, maybe get a few games out of Viduka and Owen or Barton....that isn't a bad team really. 

And a big pat on the back for Hughton too.  Excellent use of the subs, had the team looking confident and composed after the break.

That's the kind of situation Butt can get away with; he just trundles around and gets in the way to good effect.

When we have to actually pass, move and play he's utter dogshit.

Until Nolan went off, that was exactly what Butt did.

Actually, he did for the entire first half.

I cant wait until we have a midfielder who can pick a pass and has some class on the ball. Our ball retention is crap. Collo always looks for the long ball, we need a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and dictate the play.

It was poor in the second half but we had a couple of good, sustained periods of pressure in the first I thought. We definitely need a good playmaker though, I agree.

Guest Heneage

2 points dropped here, all because of the sending off, prior to that there was only one winner.

Is Guthrie back for Bolton? I can't see us getting a thing from there.

I agree no idea in midfield how to play the ball forward to our forwards .