Bolton 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 01/03/09 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Hughton is Mr. PC.

Always wants to be polite and say the right thing and tow the line.

In reality he is a clueless, yellow bellied coward of a man without any ideas or convictions of his own.

I'd have to agree with that. He needs to tell someone he can't do it.

The only positive to come out of this game is that Butt looks like being injured, that just brings another problem though as we have nobody better to take his place.

The starting line-up and whoever picked it was garbage, Martins coming off and whoever made that decision was garbage, our whole team was garbage.

The only positive to come out of this game is that Butt looks like being injured, that just brings another problem though as we have nobody better to take his place.

The starting line-up and whoever picked it was garbage, Martins coming off and whoever made that decision was garbage, our whole team was garbage.

I thought our football was without any method and it looked like Hughton just sent them out there hoping for the best. The terrible team selection and substitutions were just syptoms of the general cluelessness.

Such a boring 90mins of what they football at Bolton. Ball probably spent more time in the air than on the ground. Nothing worked and Houghton did nothing to change that! Unbelievable and I had to stop watching when he replaced Oba with Viduka... :idiot2:

Defence did OK but everthing else was just piss poor. We can't play with 2 forwards it's pure madness as we just can't get it to our strikers. Oba should be running  on the ball and not to be played standing still. No matter how Shola would be used he's not good enough at this level(probably not even at the Championship)!

Harper

Saylor  Colo  Bassong  Enrique

Nolan  Guthrie

McLovin      ?          Jonas

Oba

2 defensive midfilders to break up opponent plays(Butt's even good enough for that role...but we've got a lot better options as well) with a modern 3 players line above them but the central role would be a big problem as we don't have a bit of creativity. Barton from the current squad but surely not a long term solution. Oba and (Owen...until he's gone) as a lone striker to finish the chances. It's so unbareable to watch our playing in the current formation...they keep hoofing the ball up to Shola's head and he can't even win any headers. I can think one thing where Shola's good and it's protecting the ball but what's the point of it when he just can't spread it around and make easy passes to keep the attacks alive?

What do you think?

Guest north shields lad

Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Villa all in our last 11 games. Seriously worried now...

Weve been in trouble a few times, pulled clear and the manager has won a contract, for example Roeder. Maybe if we stay up by 1 point it will be the kick up the backside we need as a club in general. I still dont think we will get relegated. So what we have the top 5, arsenal and liverpool are currently not playing like a top side anyway. Trust me we will stay up. :frantic:

I thought Geremi was significantly better then Butt when he came on.

Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor looking oddly like players who cost us a combined £1.5M

To be fair to Lovenkrands he shouldn't have been playing in that position in the first place, he offers nothing there.

Guest Chris P

i agree with hughton. we took em apart second half but just couldn't find the opening. a fit again Owen and we would have slaughted them.

Someone mentioned  Man city earlier , i think we're a better side :aww:

i agree with hughton. we took em apart second half but just couldn't find the opening. a fit again Owen and we would have slaughted them.

Someone mentioned  Man city earlier , i think we're a better side :aww:

a fit again Owen who scored 1 goal in his last 8 games before injury, aye whatever

well what can we say, total sh*te S Taylor,Ameobi , I thought Harper not exactly brilliant. Hughton  probably on the phone to Kinnear pre match and Joe telling him how to play the game, so perhaps the best option is relegation or play some kids with passion and dump the ars*holes  such as Ameobi and taylor into the lower leagues till next season.

The next three/four games will put the nail into the coffin.

What the hell did Harper do wrong? Get a fucking grip

He came out of his area and got beaten to the ball twice IIRC, leaving him in no man's land. Got lucky he wasn't punished really.

Houghton ought to be shot with shit for taking Oba  off and bringing Viduka on. You could tell by the look on Martins' face that he wasn't injured or knackered, he was gutted to be coming off. So it was a 'tactical substitution'. Houghton, you're a fucking clown.

Why was Lovenkrands played on the right when he's entirely left footed? Why is Jonas played on the left when he's right footed? No wonder neither of them provided any decent service to the strikers. No wonder Jonas NEVER provides any decent service to the strikers and his crossing is always woeful. Since fat Sam was here we seem obsessed with playing wingers on the wrong wings, and it just doesn't work. Duff is often played on the right as well, it needs to stop.

At the end of the match I saw that bastard Ashley looking dismayed at our predicament and I was yelling abuse at the TV...until I realised the sheer pointlessness of it all. Why get so worked up about it? Why care? None of those overpaid clueless dumbfucks wearing the NUFC strip today seem to care. Why the fuck should we? As is it, there's bigger things to worry about - like the state of the economy and the overwhelming poverty we're all be enduring in the coming years. In that context, watching Newcastle's seemingly unstoppable demise rattling onwards in a Hellwards direction is nothing more than a minor irritation.

Fuck 'em.  :dontknow:

Why was Lovenkrands played on the right when he's entirely left footed? Why is Jonas played on the left when he's right footed? No wonder neither of them provided any decent service to the strikers.

I guess CH wanted them to cut in & shoot on there stronger foot but anyone with brains knows scoring this season is not exactly what PL & JG are noted for.

In fairness, Jonas has looked better on the left than on the right so far this season. The main issue for me is robbing us of any potential delivery from wide-right, which is what Taylor had looked good at before he was asked to play out of position. I do realise this happening would have meant Lovenkrands or Jonas getting dropped with Smith or Geremi coming in, like.

Nicky Butt is really boiling my piss, he's going to be 35 soon but he's as irrational as an 18 year old, he gives needless free kicks away in dangerous areas, starts fights even though we have virtually nobody in reserve and runs around like a tit when he's supposed to be our holding midfielder, it's pathetic that we've given him a contract extension when even Brum didn't want him.

In fairness, Jonas has looked better on the left than on the right so far this season. The main issue for me is robbing us of any potential delivery from wide-right, which is what Taylor had looked good at before he was asked to play out of position. I do realise this happening would have meant Lovenkrands or Jonas getting dropped with Smith or Geremi coming in, like.

Lua Lua should be out there.

I think Jonas has only had a couple of games on the right though, he's certainly never been given a run there. Sure he's looked threatening on the left but has never had any end product there. I'd much rather see him given a run out on the right, and told to beat his man and put a cross in. Far better that than him fannying about on the left, beating his man a few times then smacking a cross over the bar with his left foot.

Lua Lua should be out there.

Could certainly be worth trying. At least have him available to come on from the bench to change things round. If Houghton had the balls to try that, that is, which he plainly doesn't.

I thought Butt was the best placed player to cover Gardner's run for the goal. Normally you expect your midfield player to track back for that sort of run if at all possible, rather than have the Centre back coming out. Instead, Butt didn't seem to do anything - he didn't help Enrique out and just watched Gardener run away. There's a lack of leadership and communication throughout the team that does cost us. Often players seem to be going for the same ball, or leaving it to one another.

Martins had a terrible game. He just couldn't get involved, mentally or physically. I thought he was going to be a lot fitter, because he is a good athlete. Viduka for Martins isn't a natural swap, but I don't think Hughton had much choice.

Interestingly, I thought we improved after Butt went off.