Has apathy set in for you, yet?

Big Geordie

ive been watching for over 40 years and yes ive seen a lot worse than this but ,maybe cos im either a grumpy old git or im getting wiser,ive never been so dissilusioned.

im also a falcons season ticket holder andfor the first time in my life i am feeling more drawn to rugby and its all down to attitiude.the rugby lot were in deeper shit than us but they have fought there way out of it by laying there balls on the line and showing it means something to them.can anyone honestly say  ourlot looked like they really cared today

also,last night i happened to be in the same manchester hotel as the team.i spoke to one of the physios,no idea who,and asked him the team.when i questioned why shola was starting ahead of viduka he told me'because he(viduka)refuses to play 90 minutes'

who is really running this club?

i also spoke to derek wright and asked him if the lads were confident.he said yes they were and with a shrug of his shoulders said 'but they always are'

i took that to mean that maybe they think they are too good to go down

1988-89 last two months where particularly horrible. Feels like history repeating itself think the apathy could reach an all time low after the run of home games weve got coming up. We've fallen a lot further this time.

Are there any older supporters who can perhaps put this into perspective. I know that there's bigger and harder things to bare than struggling in the Premier League, it'd just never happened while Ive been a supporter.

NE5, dare I ask?

Since you ask, I am an older supporter as many on here are aware(been actively following the club for more than 45 years) and I can tell you that I agree with most of Big Geordie's post.

When the club was in a similar situation back in 1988/89(struggling, poor midfield, bad board, takeover being contested, mediocre manager), we had hope because we could see that a very rich local guy was trying to get control and improve things..today, its different. The economic situation has ruined any chance of a takeover in the foreseeable future, the mediocre manager looks set to remain in situ, provided his health holds up(and in any case, no decent manager will touch the job with a bargepole due to the management structure), the gap between the top clubs and the rest is almost unbridgeable and the players look largely uninterested.

We ended up getting relegated in 89 and it wasn't until KK came back in 92 that we put a really decent side together capable of going up...OK, we missed out in the Play-offs against the unwashed in 1990, but they failed as well and the side we had would NOT have remained in the Top flight.

If we go down this time, apathy will set in Big-style because there is no hope on the horizon - when we went down in 89, the Board had to face reality and give SJH a place on the Board because of his shareholding, so we knew it was only a matter of time before he got control, as happened when the club started to sink financially ; this time, Ashley & Co are virtually immovable, the team will need major surgery if we go down(and many of the so-called 'top' players will leave).

In addition, people still have the recent fiasco of KK's resignation in their minds and their finances are becoming harder-pressed by the week ; jobs will remain insecure and unemployment will rise steadily over the next year, so NUFC in its present form will NOT be high on the list of disposable income for many fans who buy STs on Credit now ...as BG says, the ST price reduction is simply a sweetener to rty to avoid defections next season.

Unfortunately, I cannot see any hope on the horizon at present if the club is relegated - if not, it is not impossible that someone MAY emerge to buy the club when we least expect it, but in reality, unless Ashley changes his management structure the club will continue to be mediocre and apathy will grow.

If anyone thinks NUFC is too big to become permanently mediocre, look at Forest, Wolves etc...and Forest won European Cups in recent memory.!!

If we do go down, history tells us that bouncing back at the first attempt is very unlikely. In previous relegations, the club tends to linger in Division Two (the championship) for 4-5 years before finally mounting a promotion campaign. Then the whole cycle starts again....

Spot-on again, BG...

Guest KeithKettleborough

Are there any older supporters who can perhaps put this into perspective. I know that there's bigger and harder things to bare than struggling in the Premier League, it'd just never happened while Ive been a supporter.

NE5, dare I ask?

Since you ask, I am an older supporter as many on here are aware(been actively following the club for more than 45 years) and I can tell you that I agree with most of Big Geordie's post.

When the club was in a similar situation back in 1988/89(struggling, poor midfield, bad board, takeover being contested, mediocre manager), we had hope because we could see that a very rich local guy was trying to get control and improve things..today, its different. The economic situation has ruined any chance of a takeover in the foreseeable future, the mediocre manager looks set to remain in situ, provided his health holds up(and in any case, no decent manager will touch the job with a bargepole due to the management structure), the gap between the top clubs and the rest is almost unbridgeable and the players look largely uninterested.

We ended up getting relegated in 89 and it wasn't until KK came back in 92 that we put a really decent side together capable of going up...OK, we missed out in the Play-offs against the unwashed in 1990, but they failed as well and the side we had would NOT have remained in the Top flight.

If we go down this time, apathy will set in Big-style because there is no hope on the horizon - when we went down in 89, the Board had to face reality and give SJH a place on the Board because of his shareholding, so we knew it was only a matter of time before he got control, as happened when the club started to sink financially ; this time, Ashley & Co are virtually immovable, the team will need major surgery if we go down(and many of the so-called 'top' players will leave).

In addition, people still have the recent fiasco of KK's resignation in their minds and their finances are becoming harder-pressed by the week ; jobs will remain insecure and unemployment will rise steadily over the next year, so NUFC in its present form will NOT be high on the list of disposable income for many fans who buy STs on Credit now ...as BG says, the ST price reduction is simply a sweetener to rty to avoid defections next season.

Unfortunately, I cannot see any hope on the horizon at present if the club is relegated - if not, it is not impossible that someone MAY emerge to buy the club when we least expect it, but in reality, unless Ashley changes his management structure the club will continue to be mediocre and apathy will grow.

If anyone thinks NUFC is too big to become permanently mediocre, look at Forest, Wolves etc...and Forest won European Cups in recent memory.!!

Spot on there really, don't think there is much I can add apart from agree as went through the same processes for past 40 odd years or so too. The mess created in the past 12 months will mean that it will take something major and successful to swell the attendances back to the 50k plus mark again as many of those who "joined up", did so on the bandwagon of great football and comparative success. They won't want to spend their dwindling finances on a team run by clueless incompetents with no understanding of the area or the people, who wrecked their dream, one which was reignited when KK returned.

Many of the "sheep" I called them, who followed the team come what may are leaving too. As one of the woolly non-jumpers, I never thought that the Shepherd leaving his flock would lead to this but it has. I thought long and hard about it but my bleatings will continue as part of the barrrrmy army who go and watch the dross. Though won't spend to go away now which was usually most games in the season as I don't care like I used to.

I still care, i care alot.  i just so used to NUFC going to places like Bolton, Wigan and not putting a shift in. 

As soon as we conceeded the goal i knew what was going to happen, i switched the radio off and went back to kip.

I watched most of the 88/89 campaign, and it was dreadful. Anyone remember the mini-revival we had, which offered hope of staying up, only to be fettled by a 3-1 home Easter Monday defeat to Sheffield Weds? I was at that game and I think we all knew then that that was that and relegation was a certainty. Also the last game that my dad went to, at St James. Going down leaves a feeling of desolation and major disappointment. However, that time we didn't have a team of experienced international players on very high wages like we do now.

Bottom line is that I'm not sure enough of our more experienced players are that bothered.

Guest neesy111

The day I don't care anymore is the day I jack in my season ticket.

that is exactly what has happened to myself

don't give a flying fuck about the players or the management, got much more important things to be worrying about

I've seen worse performances, although not many. Not spending big any more I can live with, the thought of Hughton followed by Kinnear coming back with a two year extension is what makes my eyes glaze over.

Guest borat

The day I don't care anymore is the day I jack in my season ticket.

that is exactly what has happened to myself

don't give a flying fuck about the players or the management, got much more important things to be worrying about

Same here, ticket getting ditched after 29 years and know a few other people who are doing the same.

Just don't give a monkeys what happens anymore and that would have been unthinkable a few years back.

Guest BooBoo

I'm not apathetic about it but i can't ever remembering looking forward to a game less, than I am for Wednesday's match.

Yes, its slowly setting in. NUFC is still dominating my mind and thoughts, even though I  just dont want to give a shit anymore. I felt very down after the match yesterday and Im still feeling shit because of it. I hate it but no matter how hard I try to just forget it and not bother....I just cant. I dont think I'll ever get this club out of my system.

They thought of relegation gives me a lump in my throat, but the thought of having Kinnear as permanent manager REALLY does make me not care anymore.

I'm close to apathy, put it that way.

Its just a gernal acceptance that the club fucking stinks and has done for a good few years now, every fucking game until the end of the season will be a struggle and painful to watch.

I find myself slumped in my seat at the match these days.

I've had a season ticket since '86, so have a seen a few ups and downs. The difference with this time is the money at stake. If we go down here it will set the club back 10 years

I've also just given up my season ticket as we've just emigrated to Australia. We haven't had a TV since mid Jan and I can tell you that I was so pissed off with the PL and NUFC that I haven't missed watching the matches one bit.

Just to put the PL in perspective to what relegation would mean worldwide, nevermind financially in the UK - if we go down, I (and most of the rest of the world), won't see NUFC play football again until they come back up.