Squad after possible relegation (god forbid)

Guest teepee

Barton, Beye, Enrique, Bassong, S Taylor and Guthrie

6 players we NEED to keep

Agree with all of those, except maybe Barton.

Having said that I don't think Shearer wants him so its irrelevant.

Would like to see Harper sold and Krul as our keeper. Harper is overated and doesnt command his defence as shown on Sunday.

Would like to see a team something like:

Krul; Beye, Edgar, Taylor, Duff; New RW, Guthrie, Nolan, New LW; Carroll, New ST.

Would just really like to see us back to a real quick, direct and pacey side, with a solid, hard as nails, workhorse centre and backline, capable of passing to each other. who it is thats playing for us is irrelevant.

I'd be happy enough with:

Harper, Krul, Forster, Beye, R. Taylor, S. Taylor, Edgar, Bassong, Enrique, Kadar, Jonas, LuaLua, Butt, Nolan, Guthrie, Duff, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Ameobi, Ranger.

...although obviously there will be some who are on wages that are too high and some who we receive offers for that we can't turn down, but I wouldn't mind keeping all of them as the nucleus for next season. Ameobi is stretching it, in particular, but he might be alright at that level...

Harper

Beye      S. Taylor      Bassong      Enrique

Jonas      Nolan      Guthrie      Duff

Carroll      Lovenkrands

That would be my starting XI out of that lot, although again I appreciate that this is very unlikely and that Shearer will probably have pinpointed one or two areas that he feels can be improved even in the Championship on this current lot.

Add to that a defender or two, a midfielder or two and another quick striker and I think we'd be set.

Get rid of/lose/sell: Owen, Viduka, Martins, Xisco, Barton, Gonzalez, Cacapa, Geremi, Smith and Coloccini.

Harper, Krul, Forster, Beye, R. Taylor, S. Taylor, Edgar, Bassong, Enrique, Kadar, Jonas, LuaLua, Butt, Nolan, Guthrie, Duff, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Ameobi, Ranger.

...although obviously there will be some who are on wages that are too high and some who we receive offers for that we can't turn down, but I wouldn't mind keeping all of them as the nucleus for next season. Ameobi is stretching it, in particular, but he might be alright at that level...

Harper

Carroll      Lovenkrands

That would be my starting XI out of that lot, although again I appreciate that this is very unlikely and that Shearer will probably have pinpointed one or two areas that he feels can be improved even in the Championship on this current lot.

Add to that a defender or two, a midfielder or two and another quick striker and I think we'd be set.

Get rid of/lose/sell: Owen, Viduka, Martins, Xisco, Barton, Gonzalez, Cacapa, Geremi, Smith and Coloccini.

Would agree with that, except I'd want another striker brought in.

Shola, Carroll, Lovenkrands and Ranger will hardly be good enough, even in the Championship.

Barton, Beye, Enrique, Bassong, S Taylor and Guthrie

6 players we NEED to keep

What actually makes you believe Barton is worth keeping at this point?

The guy is a complete disaster, he's not going to just sort himself out and stop getting himself in trouble all of a sudden. It'd be nice if he did, cos he's a quality footballer, but it's time to face facts. The guy is an absolute cunt of the highest order and will be nothing but a cancer as long as he's on our books.

It's too difficult to predict who will stay and who we'll be able to hold on to. It will come down to who has other clubs interested in signing them as much as who wants to leave and who we want out.

Is Guthrie good enough?

Where is his best position? He doesnt have the pace to be a winger, but he have a good passing foot. As a central midfielder, he isnt good enough tracking back and tackling... Looking back at the game against Villa, he often let Edgar alone against 2-3 players by not tracking back.

For me Guthrie should be a backup player at most. I think we need wingers with pace in the championship, and big strong players in the central midfield.

Harper

Carroll      Lovenkrands

Would agree with that, except I'd want another striker brought in.

Shola, Carroll, Lovenkrands and Ranger will hardly be good enough, even in the Championship.

Two strikers, rather than the one. I was tempted myself to suggest that. Hopefully Shola still fucks off...

Is Guthrie good enough?

Where is his best position? He doesnt have the pace to be a winger, but he have a good passing foot. As a central midfielder, he isnt good enough tracking back and tackling... Looking back at the game against Villa, he often let Edgar alone against 2-3 players by not tracking back.

For me Guthrie should be a backup player at most. I think we need wingers with pace in the championship, and big strong players in the central midfield.

I think he should be partnered by a DM like Butt.

He's got good vision and distribution, and isn't afraid to take a shot on.

I particularly recall I think it was the Hull game when he just evaded a sliding tackle with ease and drifted a pinpoint pass to Jonas on the other wing.  Beautiful.

Guthrie's still young, I think in a few years he'll be decent Premier League material.

Since I already did this in another thread that sank like a stone, I'll reproduce my thoughts in this one...

I've made the following list based on nothing more than gut instinct (and some notations about whether that's good or bad) :

Definitely going (and nothing we can do about it):

Owen (good riddance too)

Martins (meh - skilful but just not good enough. Will think he deserves better)

Barton (good riddance too)

Jonas (thanks for at least entertaining us Jonas)

Beye (will be sadly missed)

Coloccini (good riddance too)

Bassong (has caught too many eyes this season)

Nacho Gonzalez (thanks for the memories... Oh wait)

Probably going

Jose Enrique (hes not the greatest but easily good enough to escape from here)

Cacapa (unless hes given a new contract not likely though)

Geremi (unless we cant shift him)

Tim Krul (number two in the Championship? Not a chance, hes surely gone)

Mark Viduka (my hopeful smoky he may stick around on reduced contract if Shearer stays)

Probably staying

Kevin Nolan

Danny Guthrie (I really hope he stays, but mid-lower table clubs could try for him)

Damien Duff (fat salary and all)

Alan Smith (fat salary and all)

Nicky Butt (fat salary and all)

Peter Lovenkrands (grateful to be at a big club)

Definitely staying

Steven Harper

Ryan Taylor (Championship might still be above his level though)

Xisco (hasnt minded not featuring, so why would he leave now hes likely to get a chance?)

Shola Ameobi (not even relegation to the Conference would see this limpet lose grip)

David Edgar

Steven Taylor

Tamas Kadar (will get real chances now)

Ben Tozer (will get real chances now)

Fraser Forster (establishing himself as number two)

Andrew Carroll (possible main man)

Nile Ranger (will get real chances now)

Kazenga Lua-Lua (will get real chances now)

So based on that (and including the probably staying players), Id suggest something like:

Harper

Raylor      Saylor        Edgar        Kadar

Guthrie    Nolan        Butt          Duff

Carroll    Lovenkrands

Forster

Tozer

Smith

Lua-Lua

Ranger

Xisco

Which would cost us a fortune each week in wages and still not guarantee promotion

Since writing that though, Habib says he's keen to stay, and Lovenkrands wants to go - which goes to show I've got no crystal ball!

I'd get rid of:

Cacapa

Collocini

Barton

Nolan

Geremi

Smith

Jonas

Ameobi

Owen

Martins

Xisco

I'd ask Viduka to stay on a pay as you play contract. Keep Bassong if we can, but most likely he will leave. Which would leave us with:

----------------------------- Viduka ------ LuaLua --------------------------------

------------------------------Carrol--------Ranger---------------------------------

?-----------------------------Butt----------?-------------------------------Guthrie

Duff---------------------------?-----------Guthrie------------------------LuaLua

Enrique--------------------S.Taylor-----Edgar--------------------------Beye

Duff--------------------------?-------------Beye------------------------R. Taylor

------------------------------------Harper-----------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Kruhl-----------------------------------------

Yes, Butt's legs have gone. And I wouldnt look to start him every game, but he would be a strong character to have in this difficult time, and could do a decent job at times imo. Lee Carsley was important for Birmingham this year.

The defence and attack would have promosing basis' imo, obviously midfield would need the most surgery. I think we can do it, get some pace in, and players like Gibson from Man U on loan could be good moves imo, Brunt from West Brom? Whether he'd come is a question I know. We would release a lot of money from the wage bill, and its a challenge, but one that can be won.

Harper

Carroll      Lovenkrands

Problem with that for me is that its too similar to the shite we've watched all season long. Yep, fair enough it means some continuity, but i think we need at least 4 changes to that team to freshen things up and have a team that wants to win.

Harper

Beye S. Taylor Bassong Enrique

Jonas Nolan Guthrie Duff

Carroll Lovenkrands

Problem with that for me is that its too similar to the shite we've watched all season long. Yep, fair enough it means some continuity, but i think we need at least 4 changes to that team to freshen things up and have a team that wants to win.

Totally agree. We can't just rely on the opposition being a lower standard for us to get better.

Harper

Carroll      Lovenkrands

Aye, exactly. Was just picking 11 from that squad. The front six in particular needs freshening up.

Harper

Carroll      Lovenkrands

Problem with that for me is that its too similar to the s**** we've watched all season long. Yep, fair enough it means some continuity, but i think we need at least 4 changes to that team to freshen things up and have a team that wants to win.

Aye, exactly. Was just picking 11 from that squad. The front six in particular needs freshening up.

Can't see how we can afford to keep Duff and Jonas will not want to play in th championship when there's a world cup round the corner, plus he's one of the few players who we can actually get some money in for as well as getting off the wage bill,  similar story with Enrique,  ideally like to keep him but we could get some decent money back and again wipe another couple of million off the wage bill.

Think one of the keys for the manager is to get some decent loan signings in,  raid the big 4 and teams like Man City and Villa who have strong reserve sides. 

Krul

New      Nolan      Guthrie      New

Carroll      New/Ranger

I know that Harper would be the first choice but I think Krul deserves a shot at some point. I think we are just rewarding Harper for his loyalty to the club, which certainly isn't the best way to pick a team! I think there is a real possibility of keeping the back 4, although Bassong and Enrique could be tempted away with big contracts. The latter more likely than Bassong in my opinion (Spain).

I believe Nolan and Guthrie will stay and start as our centre midfield partnership. Butt will certainly be in the squad and is there as an influential part of the lockeroom, but in no way should he be given a place in our starting lineup! I know that Duff has pledged his future to us, but if an offer comes in big enough I'm sure we would sell him.

We lack pace and that was clearly evident all year. The championship isn't played at the same pace as the premiership but we still need stronger and faster players! We also have no creativity coming from midfield and the only creative midfielder we have at the moment is Barton... enough said!

I think Carroll has a huge role to play next year with Viduka leaving! He needs to be our big man who can hold the ball up for our faster strike partner. Martins is likely to leave and Owen leaving is a given, so perhaps Ranger will be given an opportunity at some point (play well together for reserves). The likelihood is we will bring in another striker with a bit more pace than Ranger and have maybe Ranger play second fiddle for a while.

All in all, if the back line all stay then we will have a very good defence in the Championship. We will keep the likes of Edgar as a backup CB, but with the amount of games we will be playing we desparately need to bring in some back up FB's! Beye can always swap into the middle if needed as extra cover. If I had it my way I would try to get the Kyles from Sheffield Utd! The rest of the team need revamping in some areas and creativity needs to come back to Newcastle!

Krul/Forster

Beye       Taylor               Bassong          Enrique

new

Guthrie

new/lualua                                       new

Caroll/(Xisco/Ranger)

I hope the rest of our squad will leave asap.....with exception of colo, jonas and Shearer! dont think its possible to keep the colo, jonas and bassong!

look for loan options! buy "cheap and young" players who look like they have the potential to play PL football next year! Sign "old" players on a free or close to free (1 year contract max) if we need experience.

I must admid i dont know much about our youngsters: Are any of the following ready to the Championship, you think?

Forster

Krul

Egdar

Kadar

Tozer

Inman

Ranger

Vuckic

I see you have 10 players in that side. Is it because you are counting on Joey Barton to get a red during the warm-up every week?

it was not a specific line-up but more to show who i wanted and believed could be in our team next season.

Krul/Forster

Beye       Taylor               Bassong          Enrique

new

Guthrie

new/lualua                                       new

Caroll/(Xisco/Ranger)

I hope the rest of our squad will leave asap.....with exception of colo, jonas and Shearer! dont think its possible to keep the colo, jonas and bassong!

look for loan options! buy "cheap and young" players who look like they have the potential to play PL football next year! Sign "old" players on a free or close to free (1 year contract max) if we need experience.

I must admid i dont know much about our youngsters: Are any of the following ready to the Championship, you think?

Forster

Krul

Egdar

Kadar

Tozer

Inman

Ranger

Vuckic

:dowie:

i really really hoped he was what we needed...but he failed first season (which a lot of good players have done before him) I believe he could have had a good second season here...but we will never know?

A shame we wont get the chance to see him here next season!

Thinking about it, there are very few players that I would be gutted to see leave.

Oba - Its the character, the unpredictability, will miss him.

Bassong - A beast, cant see him staying though, he will certainly have suitors to prize him away, even if he wanted to stay.

Guthrie - See alot of potential in him, like Bassong a player to build the team around in coming years

Enrique - Think he is really up for the fight, has talent just needs games

Beye - Absolute legend. Actually think he would stay, he loves the area and is winding down anyway

Barton - Despite everything, I really do think he will turn everything around, that said  similar with Bowyer, who had proven more.

Other than that I wouldnt bat an eyelid at anyone else leaving. All things considered if we should stay up I wouldnt mind panning everyone else bar these and a couple of others anyway.

Bar Oba there is an outside chance of keeping most of those players and they would make a solid spine.

The likes of Lovenkrands, Ranger, Vukic, Edgar, Butt, Taylor, Carroll, Baheng, Tozer and Kadar would all more than likely stay on.

The main problem would be attracting the right players to fill up the gaping holes we would have in the squad. Sure we will attract players, but maybe not enough of the right ones to take us back up and if that happens we will lose the majority of the good players we have left.

Nightmare situation really.

couldnt agree more :thup: