Squad after possible relegation (god forbid)

Guest teepee

I'm a no in terms of loans to get us up. Too much of a short term fix, we'll be fucked when we get back up if we've been relying on loans.

I agree, recipe for disaster

Why does everyone assume Bassong will leave? He has just arrived, is young on relatively low wages and has been our best player this season, why the hell should we sell him? I don't care if he wants out or not, Barry wanted to leave last summer but Villa's refusal to sell him didn't stop him form having a decent season. Don't want to see this end up like the Faye transfer when we sold him for peanuts and replaced with a more expensive and worse player.

Don't fret,he'll go quick time.

Why does everyone assume Bassong will leave? He has just arrived, is young on relatively low wages and has been our best player this season, why the hell should we sell him? I don't care if he wants out or not, Barry wanted to leave last summer but Villa's refusal to sell him didn't stop him form having a decent season. Don't want to see this end up like the Faye transfer when we sold him for peanuts then only to replace him with a more expensive and worse player.

There's been a few clubs sniffing around for him like Arsenal so it might turn his head if they make a clear bid for him, especially as he's on peanuts for wages here. If he hadn't established himself so early on and well for us this season things might be different in my opinion.....I reckon he'll go unfortunately which is a shame as he's one of the few good defenders we've had over the years..... He'll be a big player in a few years time.....

hope we do stand our ground as you said, but he said he'd wait till the summer regarding the new contracts so we'll see what happens.......like i said earlier if he does leave, I would hope it would be a loan deal for season till we get back up (touch wood)

Why does everyone assume Bassong will leave? He has just arrived, is young on relatively low wages and has been our best player this season, why the hell should we sell him? I don't care if he wants out or not, Barry wanted to leave last summer but Villa's refusal to sell him didn't stop him form having a decent season. Don't want to see this end up like the Faye transfer when we sold him for peanuts then only to replace him with a more expensive and worse player.

There's been a few clubs sniffing around for him like Arsenal so it might turn his head if they make a clear bid for him, especially as he's on peanuts for wages here. If he hadn't established himself so early on and well for us this season things might be different in my opinion.....I reckon he'll go unfortunately which is a shame as he's one of the few good defenders we've had over the years..... He'll be a big player in a few years time.....

hope we do stand our ground as you said, but he said he'd wait till the summer regarding the new contracts so we'll see what happens.......like i said earlier if he does leave, I would hope it would be a loan deal for season till we get back up (touch wood)

Stand our ground? Hah, the minute a bid for 8m or so comes in Ashley will trot out the good 'ol "financial crisis" line and bite their hands off.

And he'll probably let them pay in 8,000 weekly installments of a thousand quid too.

I think _if_ we only stay down there for a season, we could keep a few of our better players and replace the rest with youngsters. Thats the best case scenario anyway. Luckily for us, the highest earners at the club are mostly deadwood (Geremi, Owen, Cacapa, Butt, Smith, Barton), so getting rid of them shouldn't weaken us too much.

I think _if_ we only stay down there for a season, we could keep a few of our better players and replace the rest with youngsters. Thats the best case scenario anyway. Luckily for us, the highest earners at the club are mostly deadwood (Geremi, Owen, Cacapa, Butt, Smith, Barton), so getting rid of them shouldn't weaken us too much.

Unfortunately, it seems likely that it's those high-earning wasters who will be staying on our books (sans Owen.)

It will be the young, promising, and cheap players who will be leaving for greener pastures.

What we will probably end up with:

Goalkeepers: Harper, Krul, Foster, Soderberg

Defence: Edgar, Raylor, Taylor, Kadar, Tozer (two experienced CB's a LB and RB brought in)

Midfield: Butt, guthrie, Lua Lua, Vuckic, Adjei (2xLW, 1xRW 3xCM)

Forwards: Ameobi, Carrol, Lovenkrands, Ranger, Baheng (two new strikers)

What I'd like to see:

Goalkeepers: Same

Defenders:  Beye, Taylor, Raylor, Bassong, Enrique - Kadar,Tozer promoted (two new CB's one experienced, 1 LB)

Midfield: Jonas, Guthrie, Nolan, Duff, Lua Lua - Vucik/Adjei/inman if they are ready

(buy 2x AMC, 1xDM 2xwingers)

Forwards: Carrol, Xisco, lovenkrands, Smith, Ranger, baheng (bring in 2 experienced strikers)

Im undecided on both Barton and Ameobi, both are tards but could prove usefull at a slightly reduced level, certainly the former.

Ugh, I don't know why people keep including Raylor in their "to keep" lists - sure he's cheap, but he's such a shit player its hard to imagine any league making him look good. I'd rather blood some of those youngsters we scouted from Europe instead of wasting anymore time with that pile of crap.

We need to somehow bring in young, promising players whose best days are in front of them. The has beens living on past reputations are one of the reasons we went down. I have no idea who can cut it in the Championship. The only Championship games I've watched in the last 16 years was an occasional play off game. There seem to be two types of team that can gain promotion from the Championship. The team full of 6 footers who play route one like Stoke or the team who pass it around like West Brom.

I doubt we'll get any money for the likes of Geremi. We're probably stuck with him.

Ugh, I don't know why people keep including Raylor in their "to keep" lists - sure he's cheap, but he's such a shit player its hard to imagine any league making him look good. I'd rather blood some of those youngsters we scouted from Europe instead of wasting anymore time with that pile of crap.

Shearer pretty much dropped him and played Edgar (a player whose contract ends this summer) out of position over him. He also seemed to think R. Taylor was more of a right winger than a right back.

i expect the "big-name-players (blah)" to go because the World Cup is coming next year so they must play in the top flight to get a chance in their national teams, although i don't know whose nations will be there :undecided:

I can imagine Carroll doing well in Championship from what I've seen from him.

You didn't see him play in the Championship then. He was awful.

Need a couple of young pacey strikers for that league.

he's definitely improved since then though.

I'm all for loans. If we could some decent kids in from Arsenal or Man Utd and actually get promoted, we'd have a real chance to keep them because of the potential of our club.

And we gotta get back up asap. Whatever needs to be done, must be done.

I just hope that whoever the manager is that he is allowed to decide which players he wants to keep to build the team around and that he is not undermined by the board selling any player as soon as they get an offer. 

As Shearer said, we are already behind the other championship teams in planning for next season.  No doubt other teams will be reluctant to sell us their better players because we are now a rival.

It is going to be a huge job shifting so many players out and getting replacements in so short a time.

I guess the players will probably be back for pre-season training in around a  month's time because the season starts the first week in August.

Guest optimistic nit

most of our players can get fucked, i'm not saying that because i'm annoyed, but because we need players willing to play for us next season.

Harper

Guthrie

Carroll

Taylor

Beye

Bassong

Enrique

can stay although any PL club with sense would snap the last 3 up quickly. Harper is average but we have bigger problems.

butt and duff look like they are staying, not overwhelmingly dissapointed about either. would like viduka to stay if we could get him too.

the rest can fuck off.

want Krul to start next season if he stays.

we've got to re build well though we'll lose most of our first team squad and the ones that stay will most likely to be the ones we want to fuck off. if we get this transfer window as wrong as we did the last 5 we'll be finishing in the bottom 3rd in another relegation battle, and that is why if kinnear or calderwood or hughton get anywhere near our managers position i'm expecting a very bleak season.

I just hope that whoever the manager is that he is allowed to decide which players he wants to keep to build the team around and that he is not undermined by the board selling any player as soon as they get an offer. 

As Shearer said, we are already behind the other championship teams in planning for next season.  No doubt other teams will be reluctant to sell us their better players because we are now a rival.

It is going to be a huge job shifting so many players out and getting replacements in so short a time.

I guess the players will probably be back for pre-season training in around a  month's time because the season starts the first week in August.

Didnt some report today say July 1st for players reporting back? seems a bit late.

I'm all for loans. If we could some decent kids in from Arsenal or Man Utd and actually get promoted, we'd have a real chance to keep them because of the potential of our club.

And we gotta get back up asap. Whatever needs to be done, must be done.

bingo, loans will probably be the difference between us going up or not - wonder what shearer's relationship with fergie is? 

get in 4 season long loans of youth, pace & ability, keep some of our "better" players then sign some potential like skjelbred or whoever we might bounce right back

not using the loan system will be criminal tbh but it's not something we have a good history with to date

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/shearer-will-gut-squad-ndash-if-he-stays-1690663.html

Shearer plans to gut the playing staff. The interim manager arrived at the club's training ground early yesterday morning and addressed the squad for 30 minutes. "If I'm here next season," Shearer is said to have informed them, "there are going to be big changes."

The players were then given their summer training schedule and told to report back on 1 July.

Worried that everyone (including Shearer?) thinks Butt is staying. His lack of pace, poorly timed tackles (giving away pens) and inability to retain possession are one of the key factors in our demise as far as I'm concerned and i'd be worried if he was anywhere near our first team next season. Don't fault his effort - just not enough quality.

Worried that everyone (including Shearer?) thinks Butt is staying. His lack of pace, poorly timed tackles (giving away pens) and inability to retain possession are one of the key factors in our demise as far as I'm concerned and i'd be worried if he was anywhere near our first team next season. Don't fault his effort - just not enough quality.

The Championship is full of players like him who give 100% but aren't good enough to play at the highest level, the only difference is they'll be on lower wages and will run more.