Squad after possible relegation (god forbid)

Guest teepee

I want our entire midfield to go. Ashley, Wise, Llambias etc have succeeded in creating the most static, most predictable, slowest and least creative midfield in the country by selling players with pace and good delivery, and either not replacing them at all or replacing them with players of a lesser standard.

We have (or had) one of the most lethal strike forces in the premier league and left them feeding off scraps for 38 games because we'd sold our best wingers and never addressed the desperate need for a creative CM. At least this will change with Shearer in charge - he, more than most, appreciates the vlaue of good service.

At a push i'd keep one or two of our box to box midfielder like Guthrie and Nolan but other than that the rest can be sold so we can start again.

Midfield i'd like to see -  Commons    Nolan    Ledley    McGeady

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/former-owner-brands-newcastle-side-rubbish-1690799.html

Yeah he's right but he's the twat that sold to Ashley as soon as he saw the £££ signs

"Now we are saddled with a huge wage bill. The lesson here is obvious: you can't take on yesterday's men and hope to survive. That's for a club with no ambition."

Aye.

We need to somehow bring in young, promising players whose best days are in front of them. The has beens living on past reputations are one of the reasons we went down. I have no idea who can cut it in the Championship. The only Championship games I've watched in the last 16 years was an occasional play off game. There seem to be two types of team that can gain promotion from the Championship. The team full of 6 footers who play route one like Stoke or the team who pass it around like West Brom.

I doubt we'll get any money for the likes of Geremi. We're probably stuck with him.

Ugh, I don't know why people keep including Raylor in their "to keep" lists - sure he's cheap, but he's such a s*** player its hard to imagine any league making him look good. I'd rather blood some of those youngsters we scouted from Europe instead of wasting anymore time with that pile of crap.

Shearer pretty much dropped him and played Edgar (a player whose contract ends this summer) out of position over him. He also seemed to think R. Taylor was more of a right winger than a right back.

Agree - the squad needs a thorough clean-out, and younger, ambitious players brought in.

As I have said before, KK had the luxury of having a nucleus of decent local lads when he took over as well as 2 decent forwards in Kelly & Peacock ; he only had to add Beardsley, Venison, Bracewell & Beresford in the close season to make us into a side capable of winning promotion ; he added Rob Lee in October and Scott Sellars when he realized Sheedy was getting past it - then, in March, Andy Cole, who put the icing on the cake and ensured we were a team capable of staying(and doing well)in the Prem...

Whoever is manager next season, be it Shearer or not, will NOT have the same luxury - there are few of the current youngsters/reserves who look able to stand up to the hurly-burly of the Fizzy Lge and only Carroll looks as if he will make it...as for the forwards, there isn't ONE who I would keep because they ALL have serious drawbacks. Nolan MIGHT still be OK in the Fizzy, but I would get rid of Barton, and R.Taylor is no good either. S.Taylor is probably OK at that level, and Beye, but only for 1 season ; Coloccini, Jonas, Owen and Martins will all be gone, as I think, will Viduka....Butt is past it and we may have to keep Smith.

A Big, Big job awaits someone, and probably at least 2 seasons in the Fizzy Lge.

Guest super_shay1

Just read on BBC that Jermaine Beckford has been transfer listed, so could put a bid in for him.

Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford has been put on the transfer list after rejecting a new three-year contract.

Beckford, 25, has a year left on his current deal and has been linked with Premier League and Championship clubs.

Leeds chief executive Shaun Harvey told his club's website: "The offer we made is very good, but he has exercised his right to turn it down.

"We always look to retain our most effective players, but only within appropriate financial parameters."

Beckford scored 34 goals last season for Leeds, who missed out on promotion to League One when they were beaten in the play-offs by Millwall.

Harvey added: "On the basis that he has 12 months remaining on his current contract and could leave on a free transfer next summer, we feel we must consider any offers that are forthcoming for him.

"In the event that no offers are forthcoming or the offers received are unacceptable to us then he will remain part of Simon Grayson's squad next season."

Beckford has scored 54 goals in 98 appearances for Leeds since signing from non-League Wealdstone in March 2006.

The player had loan spells at Carlisle and Scunthorpe, helping the Iron to promotion to the Championship in the 2006/07 season.

He was given his chance to impress back at Elland Road the following season and scored 20 goals as Leeds lost out in the League One play-off final to Doncaster.

And in the wake of Leeds' latest failure to win promotion, Beckford could move on this summer.

Krul/Forster

Beye       Taylor               Bassong          Enrique

new

Guthrie

new/lualua                                       new

Caroll/(Xisco/Ranger)

I hope the rest of our squad will leave asap.....with exception of colo, jonas and Shearer! dont think its possible to keep the colo, jonas and bassong!

look for loan options! buy "cheap and young" players who look like they have the potential to play PL football next year! Sign "old" players on a free or close to free (1 year contract max) if we need experience.

I must admid i dont know much about our youngsters: Are any of the following ready to the Championship, you think?

Forster

Krul

Egdar

Kadar

Tozer

Inman

Ranger

Vuckic

Guest geordienorway

Krul/Forster

new

Guthrie

Caroll/(Xisco/Ranger)

I hope the rest of our squad will leave asap.....with exception of colo, jonas and Shearer! dont think its possible to keep the colo, jonas and bassong!

look for loan options! buy "cheap and young" players who look like they have the potential to play PL football next year! Sign "old" players on a free or close to free (1 year contract max) if we need experience.

I must admid i dont know much about our youngsters: Are any of the following ready to the Championship, you think?

Forster

Krul

Egdar

Kadar

Tozer

Inman

Ranger

Vuckic

I see you have 10 players in that side. Is it because you are counting on Joey Barton to get a red during the warm-up every week?

I'd rather keep Barton, I know he's a twat but having him in the centre will make us a different team, we wouldn't be able to attract anyone even close to his ability. Might do him good to play a year down here as well.

We'd get fuck all for him anwyay.

I'd rather keep Barton, I know he's a twat but having him in the centre will make us a different team, we wouldn't be able to attract anyone even close to his ability. Might do him good to play a year down here as well.

Said the same the other day. We'll never be able to anyone near to his ability this summer and if anyone can knock some sense into his thick skull it's Shearer. I won't hold my breath though.

Just read about Beckford, possibly worth a punt however his general attitude etc. seems to leave a lot to be desired. Still do a job in the championship though and still only 25.

Said the same the other day. We'll never be able to anyone near to his ability this summer and if anyone can knock some sense into his thick skull it's Shearer. I won't hold my breath though.

There are few times in football that i believe in doing the "right" thing over the best thing but in this scenario i will make an exception. Joey Barton should never player for this club again, even if he turned into Messi.

He's a thug and he's had far too many chances.

Can't believe anyone would turn their noses up at loaning a few players from the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc.

Beggars can't be choosers. If they help get us back into the Premiership who cares?

I'm worried about how the club will cope with all the transfer activity that is required this Summer. They've got a poor record when it comes to getting the number of players we need into the club.

Krul/Forster

new

Guthrie

Caroll/(Xisco/Ranger)

Forster

Krul

Egdar

Kadar

Tozer

Inman

Ranger

Vuckic

:dowie:

Guest Phil K

Beckford's decent, (he IS 25, Dave) but he's not the world class player he THINKS he is

He's got his goals in the THIRD tier, remember.

He won't be the first to be classy in a lower division and sh*te in a league one up

don't know if its been posted on here yet, but Barry Silkman is on SSN saying the best hope for us to cut costs quickly and effectively is to ship them out on loan for the time being.  I've seen some people mention it in other threads, but this could be a decent ploy.  However it'd only work if we won promotion straight away.

Barton would be outstanding in the Championship if he stayed fit but he's a fucking cunt and he can't be relied on so we should sell.

I'd risk it if it did the job

Look at his alleged wage. We can't afford to keep him. If we keep the players who have made sounds that they are staying and the ones who recently signed new contracts then that will probably be it with regards to keeping any other high earners. Harper, Beye, Taylor, Butt and Duff will be on £40,000+ I would imagine. Then theres the players we signed in January.

Joey Barton would do well in the Championship. Might be good for him and for us.

Can't see Shearer backing down, he seems very determined to set standards so Barton is most likely finished here.