Renaming St James' Park

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Naming a new stadium works OK (The Emirates, etc.) but changing the name of an existing stadium would be an exercise in futility, no one would call it by the new name unless they were forced to do so.

That's true, so if we could get some money, wouldn't this be something that we should do? Given that it would basically free money since no one would call it by the new name anyway.

You could try, but pretty much every business would realise the same thing - no one is going to mention their name - so the money we'd get from selling the naming rights would be negligible.

It's an utterly disgraceful idea. We've been St. James for years. I mean I could be wrong with numbers but it's been like it is now for atleast 50 odd years. I'm a fond believer in if it's not broke don't fix it. The problems are not with our stadium. It's with the backroom and the numpties we've got running the show. Fixing them should be top priority.

No one has said that there is a problem with the stadium. We just need money to replace the shit that we put out Saturday after Saturday. This is a way of generating extra revenue - needed revenue. If it's a really tacky name then it'd be an embarrassment but I think that if we got a local sponsor, some business with a true historical connection to Newcastle, then this wouldn't go down so bad. I'm just going off the American way of doing things where many of their stadiums have names of businesses that have headquarters in that city/region or the business is locally owned.

In the end, every stadium in Britain will be renamed. Money's too big a factor in achieving success so turning down or neglecting an opportunity to make money will affect the chances of success. We need to maximise revenues and run everything off the pitch with the aim of maximising profit (which will be used to improve or supplement things on the pitch).

Guest DiegoNachos

I have a tendency to be misunderstood but that's my point. There doesn't seem much point in changing the name of a stadium that's stood for years. I do however agree with the idea of naming it something decent if it generates more revenue. I do not fancy the likes of SportsDirect.com Stadium or whatever Mr. Ashley has written on his blackboard.

Guest DiegoNachos

If calling the stadium Adidas park or whatever means we won't have to sell Bassong to make ends meet, I'm all for it.

Agreed, Oldtype. He's been absolutely godlike this season and is a huge prospect everytime he plays for Newcastle.

I can see the reasons for doing it but it just feels so wrong.

Exactly, not sure if sponsors would be prepared to pay a fortune knowing that everyone will still call it SJP. It might actually make people more hostile to the company, spoiling the name of the ground etc.

As others have said, works better with a new ground than renaming an existing one.

Just hope it never happens.

I voted disgusted, but that doesn't mean I would say no to £5m a year for 5 or 10 years. I can welcome the money and still be disgusted.

As pretty much everyone has already noted we'd still call it St James' anyway.

I can see the reasons for doing it but it just feels so wrong.

Exactly, not sure if sponsors would be prepared to pay a fortune knowing that everyone will still call it SJP. It might actually make people more hostile to the company, spoiling the name of the ground etc.

As others have said, works better with a new ground than renaming an existing one.

Just hope it never happens.

You're assuming it's a national or international faceless company just getting some extra advertisement, but what if it's a locally owned shop with an owner who's recognisable around the area of Newcastle? That could be spun in a 'supporting the club' type of way. Just look at how the sponsorship of Northern Rock was received; this is what Freddy said at the time - '"We are absolutely delighted to extend our relationship with Northern Rock, a genuine Newcastle company which has brought the Geordies together under one roof and also on the field of play."

I've italicised the interesting part.

If you imagine some sinister company taking advantage of our dire situation then of course people aren't going to welcome it. But if a company, such as Northern Rock, one with a history of supporting and sponsoring sports teams and clubs in Newcastle, offer money to rename the stadium, I think it'd be received better.

The average joe can and will still call it St James', but in the media, it will be called by its new name, which is why it might be worthwhile for the company. In every newspaper report, it won't say 'match played St James', it'll say 'match played at sponsored stadium name'. In the club brochures and programmes, the new name will be mentioned. On Sky Sports, the commentators will use the new name. I'll give the example of Boston Celtics' basketball arena, which is known by all of their fans as 'The Garden', but its sponsored name is TD Banknorth Garden (regional business company) so in every media publication, you'll see this new name even though the average fan calls it the Garden. That's the exposure that the company will receive.

Once upon a time, there wasn't any sponsorship on football shirts. And I imagine that when the first clubs decided to sell that space, there were objections on similar principles to the objections for selling naming rights to a stadium now. Things change.

I think it would be bad PR to do so, especially at this time, but there are genuine long-term benefits so the possibility should at least be explored by Ashley and his boys.

Theatre of Nightmares.

I'd be totally against this ever happening but to be fair everyone would still call it St James' Park anyway. End of the day it is just a name, I'm far more bothered about what happens on the pitch.

I'd learn to live with it if the club guaranteed the funds would go towards youth development and investing in the future of the club rather than sacrificing our soul for one 'Kevin Nolan' per year.

I'd rather not but i wouldn't be spitting blood if it were to happen, especially given the financial climate, the state of the English domestic game, and our current decline. They can stick different name down in the phonebook if they want, but it'll take literally generations for people to stop calling it St James' Park.

I'd learn to live with it if the club guaranteed the funds would go towards youth development and investing in the future of the club rather than sacrificing our soul for one 'Kevin Nolan' per year.

But we could have an army of Kevin Nolans, all primed and ready for an assualt on promotion!

It would have to be for far, far more than anyone would ever pay us. We'd never get anything like what Arsenal got, and I don't want the stadium renaming just so we can pay someone like Owen for 4 years before the money dries up. Players come and go, and we won't get the sort of money we'd need to really turn us around.