Is it time for alcohol laws in football stadia to be relaxed ?

Fenham Mag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Absolutely not. What good news would come of it?

If you wanna watch the match with a pint in your hand, head to the pub.

All I can picture is lairy (sp?) wankers wanting to prove their manliness by out drinking others and fighting.

There's still a hooligan culture in our sport iyam and the British culture to alcohol is very different to that of our European counterparts.

:jesuswept: :jesuswept: :jesuswept:

Who cares about drinking when fans get hassled for standing ffs? Watching a match in this country is an absolute joke, and fans are the last thing on the FA's agenda.

I've been to stadia in a 4 countries where alcohol is served and I've honestly never had any problems.

There are very few people with enough money + low enough tolerance to get seriously inebriated with $10 a pint beer, and stewards drag away anyone who does end up visibly drunk.

I just appreciate not having to run over to a bar before the match and being able to sip a beer while I actually watch. You don't know how convenient it is until you've actually done it I suppose.

Can't even imagine what it would be like to be at an away game and score when everyone's got a drink in their hand. Hard enough managing to stay in your own row.

:lol:

Truth.

Guest toonlass

Being a Newcastle fan should come with an IV set up with something strong alcohol wise, just to get you through a match.

Can't stand it at the Rugby and Cricket when people are getting up and down every 10 minutes to go to the bar, and carrying 4 pints back to their mates, spilling bits of them over everyone in the row.

Don't see a problem with the current setup, once the game starts I'm concentrating on that anyway, it's not a pub.

All I can picture is lairy (sp?) wankers wanting to prove their manliness by out drinking others and fighting.

There's still a hooligan culture in our sport iyam and the British culture to alcohol is very different to that of our European counterparts.

Who cares about drinking when fans get hassled for standing ffs? Watching a match in this country is an absolute joke, and fans are the last thing on the FA's agenda.

well said. I hate the way fans are treated. It just makes me so jealous seeing places like Germany have such freedom in the stands.....English fans are treated like cattle.

I like a good drink on matchdays, more so than the football at the moment, but I'd never be arsed about drinking during the game. It's too expensive, everyone would get soaked, people would be backwards & forwards the whole time, not just for pints but for the toilet because they've had more drink... nah, it's not for me like. Anyway, part of the fun for me is the first pint after the match, whether it's for celebration or consolation, because it's always soooo refreshing.

well said. I hate the way fans are treated. It just makes me so jealous seeing places like Germany have such freedom in the stands.....English fans are treated like cattle.

I love watching the footie in Germany. You can stand, it only costs €10 or €15 to get in, and they even have guys carrying huge barrels of beer on their backs (they look like ghostbusters) to give you a refill without your having to miss any of the game. Also, a goal invariably results in a "beer shower". Great stuff.

• 6 months later...

No.

95% of people (overwhelmingly male, lets admit) wouldn't misuse it. But 5% is still a LOT, and it wouldn't be long before it fuels a riot.

Its only  a problem in this bloody country, where they believe their "rights" also include attacking others. Other countries (apart from Holland maybe) fans think differently.

Guest Roger Kint

I voted yes but dont want it in the stands. Its the away games where some clubs would sell you a drink pre game/half time which should be allowed.  :angry:

Guest Roger Kint

I sadly voted no, too many c***s at the match I'm afraid.

I agree but some games we are pushed to the ground and cant get 1 pint, others like Villa just dont sell us anything.

It's not unreasonable to go 45 minutes plus added time without a beer tbh. Having said that, it was ridiculous at Sunderland last season when everybody arrived at around the same time and it got almost impossible to move under the stand because everyone who'd got a beer had to drink it there; almost dangerous at some points.

Guest Brazilianbob

Please yes. England's the only country I've been to so far where you can't drink in the stands. It's a damn injustice that's what it is.

You've never been to Scotland then. They're not even allowed to drink in the stadium at all.

When we played rangers at SJP in the fairs cup semi's in 1969, I visited the ground the next lunchtime before they had a chance to clear away the rubbish and the end where the rangers fans had been was absolutely littered with empty bottles.  Not beer bottles mind, but whiskey bottles!!! they were all absolutely hammered!  I have never seen so many empty whiskey bottles in one place!!!!