Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

He's still kidding himself & has no chance until he stops that. There's no way he's not had a drink in 11 months not unless the lass at work who lives and drinks in Dunston has been seeing things.

There's no doubt he's trying but he has a huge challenge & I simply don't think he has the mental toughness to do it.

Shame.

I'm 99% positive it's less than 11 months since i last saw him around here on the drink like but time does tend to fly.

Most alcoholics know how many days exactly they've been sober for, not a vague about 11 months.

28. Took a documentary team to a beautiful Scottish cottage which he informed them was his new place, pretended he'd forgotten his key and knocked instead. When the door opened, told the befuddled housewife inside that he was doing a telly advert and wanted to know if she preferred Daz or Omo.

:lol: :lol:

Just watching it now, I know he did a lot of bad stuff but can't feel anything but sorry for the bloke.

He must be pretty lucky that his body has so far sustained such abuse though! 4 bottles of whisky and 17 lines of coke a day for 3 months  :yikes:

• 1 year later...

Currant Bun:

Gazza is dying in front of us

STUNNED fans watched frail soccer legend Paul Gascoigne shake and sob his way through a charity appearance and said: “It was like watching him die in front of our eyes.”

The ex-England ace, 45, trembled uncontrollably and unleashed a torrent of swearwords during Thursday’s bash in Northampton after downing pints of lager. One guest said: “It was horrible seeing him like that.”

Fans told how trembling Gascoigne’s shambolic performance had “the atmosphere of a funeral”.

And one said sadly: “It was tragic. The consensus was certainly that he does not have long left.”

Gazza made a rambling ten-minute appearance at the hotel bash, where 500 dinner guests had paid £100 a seat to see him.

He was seen downing pints of lager before the compere announced that the star, who has battled booze and drugs since ending his glittering playing career, had been taken ill and needed hospital attention.

Guests were then told he would still appear — but were urged to be “patient” with him.

Gazza was eventually helped on stage by two security guards from the Northampton hotel for a question-and-answer session with his agent Terry Baker.

But the audience watched aghast as he shook uncontrollably and fluffed a string of scripted lines before bursting into tears. At one point he told punters: “I’m sorry, three days on the whisky, I’m sorry.”

Diners said he was trembling so badly they thought he had Parkinson’s disease.

Last night a further 15 public speaking bookings for the former Newcastle, Spurs and Lazio hero were cancelled.

One guest at Thursday’s function, staged by Northampton Town FC, said: “It was horrible seeing my hero in that condition. There was a lump in everyone’s throat when he left the stage.

“The room really did have the atmosphere of a funeral and the consensus was certainly that he does not have long left.”

Another guest said: “It was tragic. We paid for the evening to celebrate and support a football hero.

“But instead it felt like we were watching him die in front of our eyes.”

During his stage appearance, Geordie Gazza was asked what it felt like to play for his country.

But he could not speak and, after an uncomfortable pause, began sobbing.

He later launched a foul-mouthed rant about the current England set-up and its multi-millionaire stars. Mr Baker asked him to curb his language, but ended the session when he did not.

One fan wrote in an online account of the evening: “The compere told us that unfortunately Gazza was very ill.

“He had taken a funny turn due to the medication he takes and should really be in hospital.

“Gazza was helped on stage and was sat on a sofa. He was shaking uncontrollably all the time. His agent asked who was the best player he’s played with and Gazza said, ‘Bryan Robson. But he’s a ****. They’re all ****s. You’re all ****s’.

“His agent apologised and he apologised too. He broke down three times while on stage.”

Gazza, with 57 England caps, was later driven straight to his south coast home. Mr Baker insisted the former midfield ace does not drink whisky and had jumbled up a scripted joke about being on a “whisky diet”.

He said: “Paul has made a huge effort to straighten his life out, but wasn’t very well.

“He probably shouldn’t have gone out but he didn’t want to let down all those people.”

The Sun told how Gazza fell off the wagon last June during a speaking tour in Dubai. Asked how he was last night, Gazza said: “What happened in Northampton?”

Excuse me for not providing link but I'd rather not to that site.

Very sad to hear that this is happening - he could have been one of the best English players of all time and in my view, a far greater talent than the over-hyped Beckham.

Unfortunately, there are echoes of George Best in this saga - Gazza never had as many women, but he certainly seems to have matched Best for drinking and that looks as if it is going to take him to an early grave. Will never forget seeing his debut against Spurs when he forced their keeper into a brilliant save from his first real touch of the ball, a direct free-kick which he bent over their wall.

A silly lad who made an ill-advised marriage and wasted his fantastic talents, but who had no malice in him....if only he had been managed by Clough or Ferguson in his early days he would probably have never come to this.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Why, if people saw him downing pints and were totally aware of who it was and his past, not go over and talk to him? Or is that 'wrong'?

Why, if people saw him downing pints and were totally aware of who it was and his past, not go over and talk to him? Or is that 'wrong'?

Dont think there would be a lot anyone could say or do to stop him if hes off the wagon.........would have thought his "agent" should have been more aware of his state of mind though.

Here's the 'online account' they talk about, was posted on the Ranger's Follow-Follow forum.

Unfortunately this is a very sad but very true account of a dinner I attended last night with Paul. It was a fundraising event for Northampton Town and a breast cancer charity and friends of mine had a table. I decided to drive down from Aberdeen yesterday and tie it in with the weekend in Newcastle I have planned for the game on Saturday. After what I saw last night, I really wish I hadn't.There was about 500 in attendance at the dinner and worryingly, minutes after everyone took our seats the compare for the evening introduced himself and announced the plan for the evening, dinner, raffle, auction, Gazza speaking followed by a Q&A and then the comedian.We began eating and between the starter and main the compare took to the stage again and told us that unfortunately Gazza was very ill. He had taken a funny turn which isn't uncommon due to the medication he takes and he should really be in hospital, not speaking at a dinner but he has insisted on appearing as its a charity event and be will go to hospital immediately afterwards. He asked us all to be understanding towards Gazza and be patient when he appears.Following the main course it was announced that Gazza was extremely ill so he would be coming out now and speaking so be could get to hospital as soon as her finished and we would get desert once he'd finished.Gazza's agent then took to the stage and told us Gazza had had 2 pints earlier and taken a funny turn so he would answer a few questions then go straight to hospital. He reiterated Gazza had only had 2 pints and what we were about was not what it looked like so please be patient and remember Gazza for the good times he gave us, not for how he looks today. (It was like a funeral speech to be honest before he'd even come out)Gazza was then aided onto stage by 2 bouncers. When I say aided, there was no way at all he could walk unaided. He was sat on a sofa on the stage and given a microphone. His agent asked him who the best player he's ever played with was and Gazza said 'Brian Robson. But he's a cunt. They're all cunts. You're all cunts.'His agent apologized to everyone and then Gazza apologized as well. He said as be started crying 'I'm sorry, 3 days on the whiskey, I'm sorry.'He was shaking uncontrollably for the 5 minutes he was on the stage. It was like a very serious case of Parkinson's. He broke down 3 times in the 5 minutes or so he was on stage apologizing and saying this time he'll get better. Between apologies he struggled to answer questions and just told us that other people were cunts.It was horrible seeing my hero who I drove for 7 hours yesterday to see in that condition. There was a lump in everyone's throat when he left the stage. The room really did have the atmosphere of a funeral and the consensus was certainly that he does not have long left.

Really not much you can say to an alcoholic when they're wanting a drink.

I do think Gazza has been continuously let down by people he maybe shouldn't have trusted so much. Some of the influences in his life have been more than happy to toe the party line with him when maybe they should have realised what was happening to their mate.

Very sad to see him the way he is now. Thought for a few years that he is now beyond all help, hope he can turn his life around still but the end does seem very near.

Gazza keeps surrounding himself with the wrong people, you would have thought whats left of his family and such would have more to do with him, his daughter was getting herself a few of her own programmes on BBC3 a few years ago on the back of his fame yet has seemingly done nothing to help him. His ex wife keeps shouting the "I still love him" line whenever something about him is in the press yet she's never actually interested in him.

I wouldn't be surprised if his agent was buying the pints for him all so that he can gets a few more stories out of him, a few more dinners with him. There doesn't seem to be a story with Gazza apart from the 'Drunken Gazza' stories.

The Chronicle are pretty bad as well, every year or so theirs a story about him, saying it's a shame, Psychologists are interviewed on his situation, ex alcoholics, old friends etc yet how many of them have offered him any sort of help? how many times has he been sent to rehab yet released every time he wants a a drink?

Gaaza for a long time has been passed the ability to help himself, and why bother when everyone who claims to care about him shows so little about actually caring for him? It's a shame but I think the whole world has known how this story ends up.