Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

There's a cracking documentary about his time with Lazio on Youtube. He was desperately unlucky with injuries, even if sometimes it was caused by his own stupidity.

Wasn't around to see him play but from what I can tell Gazza's heart was always in the right place, he says in that documentary that he regrets blowing most of his money from his bumper contract at Lazio. Not on himself, but sending it back to family and friends. Just a bloke who loved football and had little else to fall back on.

I can see the side of the argument where people struggle to to have sympathy though, especially when you consider the amount of chances he's had and the amount of people who've tried to help him. Be surprised if he reaches 50.

There's a cracking documentary about his time with Lazio on Youtube. He was desperately unlucky with injuries, even if sometimes it was caused by his own stupidity.

Wasn't around to see him play but from what I can tell Gazza's heart was always in the right place, he says in that documentary that he regrets blowing most of his money from his bumper contract at Lazio. Not on himself, but sending it back to family and friends. Just a bloke who loved football and had little else to fall back on.

I can see the side of the argument where people struggle to to have sympathy though, especially when you consider the amount of chances he's had and the amount of people who've tried to help him. Be surprised if he reaches 50.

Typified by the saying "flawed genius". There hasn't been a player before or since that captured the nation's imagination like him. On his day he was anything he wanted to be. Literally carried Spurs to an FA Cup final on his own in 91.

Typified by the saying "flawed genius". There hasn't been a player before or since that captured the nation's imagination like him. On his day he was anything he wanted to be. Literally carried Spurs to an FA Cup final on his own in 91.

Aye, brilliant player, heart of gold, self-destructive daftie. Could tear teams apart on his own. That 91 FACF he just got so over-excited and should have been sent off for the challenge on Parker before he managed to injure himself with the one on Charles. It's horrible watching this slow-motion car-crash of a life with an inevitable conclusion. :( Sigh.

I can't understand the lack of sympathy at all, it's baffling.

Guy who obviously isn't the brightest, on a downer after a short and incredibly high peak, addicted to various substances that are completely controlling his life. If he doesn't have the strength or the ability to change, I still feel really sorry for him and he deserves as many chances as it takes IMO.

Guest Howaythetoon

His Scotland goal is one of my best memories of any football. The imagination to think it, and the bravery to do it... unreal.

Apparently he dreamed that goal up the night before and subsequently told Hendry he would show him up before kick-off with a spectacular goal.

Guest firetotheworks

He's comfortably the best English player I've ever seen, mind. There's not even any comparison, he was fucking dynamite. Having said that, everyone knows he pissed it all up the wall and instead of going down as the English player of a generation, he could have been one of the best players in the world ever.

He's comfortably the best English player I've ever seen, mind. There's not even any comparison, he was f***ing dynamite. Having said that, everyone knows he p*ssed it all up the wall and instead of going down as the English player of a generation, he could have been one of the best players in the world ever.

He probably was one of the best players in the world, he could do anything he wanted on a football pitch.

Guest firetotheworks

He's comfortably the best English player I've ever seen, mind. There's not even any comparison, he was f***ing dynamite. Having said that, everyone knows he p*ssed it all up the wall and instead of going down as the English player of a generation, he could have been one of the best players in the world ever.

He probably was one of the best players in the world, he could do anything he wanted on a football pitch.

Aye, definitely, but I meant ever.

I missed "ever" for some reason, again though, he probably was.  I was at his full debut against Southampton and I have never ever seen a kid have such a good first game, he ran the whole game virtually on his own and we were all drooling at what we'd seen.

Guest firetotheworks

I missed "ever" for some reason, again though, he probably was.  I was at his full debut against Southampton and I have never ever seen a kid have such a good first game, he ran the whole game virtually on his own and we were all drooling at what we'd seen.

He was something else like, but I don't think I would ever put him down as one of the best ever, by any stretch of the imagination.

Guy who obviously isn't the brightest, on a downer after a short and incredibly high peak, addicted to various substances that are completely controlling his life. If he doesn't have the strength or the ability to change, I still feel really sorry for him and he deserves as many chances as it takes IMO.

I can't help but feel sorry for the bloke. I was talking about him today with a few lads from uni (An Arsenal fan, Spurs fan and a Man Utd fan) and none of them had a bad word to say about him. Two of them said they'd seen the video of him on stage the other night and it just upset them.

He optimises the loveable rogue, thats why nobody can ever get truly angry at him

:thup: It's probably partly down to alcoholism being tossed about as a joke that the actual illness is glossed over at times. The same with depression to a degree, someone suffering with depression cannot just cheer up in the same way that an alcoholic cannot just stop drinking, but a lot of people don't seem to realise it.

Guest chicken little

But it's more than that, the guy has serious mental health issues aside of (but interacting with) his substance abuse problems. A lot of the reaction to Gascoigne's behaviour (not necessarily here, like) highlight the backwards attitudes many people still have about mental illness.

I find all this s**** about "oh Fergie would have sorted him out" to be grossly insulting. Regardless of the footballing aspects, it ignores the fact that Alex Ferguson is a football manager, whereas Gascoigne needed (and needs) trained medical professionals.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4787506/Football-legend-Gazza-close-to-death-The-Sun-can-reveal.html

ENGLAND legend Paul Gascoigne is close to death after suffering a catastrophic reaction to alcohol withdrawal, we can reveal.

The ailing footie superstar is in intensive care after his organs began to shut down hours after arriving at the Meadows Rehabilitation Centre in Phoenix, Arizona.

A source close to the star said: “Gazza’s in a bad way, he’s much worse than he was and desperately needs help.

“He’s had really bad withdrawal symptoms relating to not drinking since arriving at the clinic.

“His internal organs are shutting down and he’s in intensive care, it’s a potentially life threatening situation.

“If he doesn’t receive the best treatment from doctors he could die.”

The source said Gazza, who is potless after years of alcohol abuse, could be turfed out of the US hospital if he can’t foot the bill.

“Gazza’s got no money to pay for the treatment and health care in the US is very expensive,” the source said.

“We have estimated that the cost of round-the-clock hospital care could reach £100,000.

“Gazza needs people to step in to raise the money for him, his life depends on it.”

Celebrity friends of the frail hero had already raised £25,000 to pay for a stint in rehab.

Broadcaster Chris Evans was among pals shocked by Gazza's grim appearance and increasingly bizarre behaviour.

The 45-year-old was taped sobbing, slurring and swearing at a charity appearance.

Evans - who enjoyed hellraising nights with Gazza in the '90s - contacted former Spurs striker Gary Lineker, TV's Piers Morgan and ex-England cricketer Ronnie Irani, among others.

Between them they raised enough to cover the cost of Gazza’s £7,500 a week stay at the Meadows, while British Airways stumped up the cash for first class flights to the US.

Last week the trembling star was snapped supping a final pint of lager before checking in at The Meadows.

A shocked witness told how the desperate legend ordered the pint the moment a minder left him briefly alone in a US airport bar.

Moments later his pal returned, grabbed the beer, and hauled Gazza out of the boozer.

The former footie ace was shaking uncontrollably as he stepped off the 11-hour BA flight from London.

Gazza hugged a uniformed airport worker before his friend sat him in a chair in the Chelsea bar and restaurant.

Guest chicken little

Some good, compassionate posts in the last few pages.

Gazza as a footballer gave me more joy than anyone else ever has, he was simply a pleasure to watch.

Aye, first footballer I ever wanted got excited about seeing. The England friendly against Czechoslovakia..