Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

I can't imagine Gazza being able to knuckle down to any kind of work now that playing football isn't an option, and that's probably a fundamental problem. Even something relatively undemanding like punditry or the after-dinner circuit might be beyond him. In which case even if he dries out successfully, you wonder if boredom and depression will get him back drinking.

I think Best had a similar problem.

Feel sorry for him, but I dunno how to feel when I hear about people and sporting organisations donating 40,000 quid for his care or 125,000 quid for flights, accommodation and rehab in the US. Think there's probably worthier recipients of cash like that than one alcoholic.

I cant even watch it.

I think the idea was to get him out the UK away from the media and maybe being in the US he is away from his usual temptations being close by.

From the Greaves piece

just paraphrasing "Whether it's by going to AA, or going to counselling, or finding god, or talking to the trees in the garden. He needs to find his own way".

I was thinking bansai garden, or get into the Dutch Aquascaping thing (time consuming, relaxing & rewarding) and set aside a whole bloody room for it - healthier zen space than shooting up that cocaine 'snowball' shit (is that what it's called) behind closed doors.

Why is he left sitting in a bar on his own ffs, like they're surprised he's ordered a pint.

With all the help that's gone his way, I really hope this time he doesn't throw it back in peoples faces.

Course he will, he's an selfish drunken arsehole.

BTW apparently not life threatening acording to Mabbutt who has spoken to the medical team. Just seems Gazza's lot want to make it sound really bad so people will feel sorry and pay the bill for the latest stint in rehab.

:jesuswept:

It's unlike Toon's Taylor to overreact.

Wonder what your reaction would be if this was Taylor 20 years down the line. You'd probably be pumping the spirits in to him via a drip.

Gazza doesn't want to help himself, he's had every opportunity and a lot more than he deserves and time after time he lets everyone down. He is a drunk, he is selfish and he is an arsehole to everyone that has ever cared about him. If he wants to die, leave him to it, give the help and attention to someone who is more willing to change their lives. Gazza certainly isn't arsed about his.

Separate the person from the footballer, the guy is a dickhead.

You've made yourself look like an ignorant little man there like. Addiction isnt black and white. It's not a case of not wanting to help your self, it's being unable to help yourself, nor is it a case of being not being arsed about your life. The bloke suffers from mental health problems brought on by a dependence on alcohol. Thats a lot different from some dickhead who gets lairy after a few pints, but dont let that stop you spouting your rubbish.

From the outside looking in it does look particularly bleak for Gazza. Must admit though, it does look like he's surrounded by the wrong type of people las has been the case for most of his life, and I'm not just talking about the vile tosser who was filming him in the Daily Star video either, we saw him struggling hugely, evidently drunk and mentally unstable at a recent talk in, surely his agent recognised he was in no fit state to make a public appearance yet clearly went through with it in order to make some cash. It's a real shame to see the sensationalist media circling as well, speculating when he's going to die man, howay man, but it's only to be expected by the press in this country, just so undignified. All in all such a sad situation, the state he's in, the circus that goes along with it and the cretins attempting to make a quick buck before he does go.

What a pack of twats the guys making that video are. They constantly laugh at him, don't even try to stop him from taking very dangerous drugs, just stand there trying to get as much footage of him as possible then try to guilt trip him by saying they have to walk home now. This footage was never meant to be shown back to him to help him clean up his act, it was made so they could sell it. If they wanted to help him they would have been doing so instead of making a video and laughing at him.

Having said all of this it is down to Gazza now, if whatever of his personality there is left wants to turn his life around then he has a chance, if he doesn't or there isn't anything of him left apart from the drugs and booze then that is it and it will only be a matter of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Gazza out of Rehab, and on the way home...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4830635/Back-on-track-Gazza-jets-home-from-booze-rehab-in-US.html

For some one with such a serious drink problem, he doesn't seem to have been in rehab too long.  :undecided:

Anyway, I hope he can stay off the drink now, but... who knows?. :(

It'll be free booze all the way on long haul anarl. Then duty free.

Guest TC_16

He's an arsehole, always has been.

Out of interest, how long have you know him?

You don't have to know an acloholic wife beater to know he's an arsehole.