Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

How old is this guy? f***ing embarrassing.

Don't be ashamed for not knowing. A quick look at wikipedia tells us he's 46.

Oakie

:lol:

Genuinely gutted about the bloke. Beyond all help now unfortunately. Still got the picture of me and him in The Fed club house when I was about 5/6, absolutely idolised the man. :(

It's been said there is a thin line between genius and insanity. Gazza was once a genius but he has obviously transgressed since his England career was curtailed, prematurely in my opinion by Hoddle. The guy has issues most of us couldn't comprehend, and to attempt to make judgment on him seems wrong to me. He evidently needs treatment of some kind.

Witnesses told police alcoholic Gazza arrived at Stevenage train station in Hertfordshire on Thursday night boozed-up and shouting abuse.

When a security guard confronted the former Newcastle, Spurs and Lazio midfielder, he allegedly lunged at him and grabbed him by the throat.

It is understood mum-of-three Sheryl arrived moments later and tried to step in but Gazza grabbed her arm, it is claimed.

Police were quickly on the scene and he was hauled off to Stevenage police station at around 10.30pm.

Hauled off marra.

He needs locking up. Treatment obviously does him no good whatsoever.

There's no other option but treatment. 'Locking [him] up' is an inhumane (and, as I'd expect you to know, impracticable) response, as is leaving him to his own devices.

The only solution is to put him in a place where he can't drink, can't interact with the outside world and can reflect upon what a thorough mess he's become and why.

He needs to be imprisoned or detained under the MHA for a long period, not days, weeks or months.

It demonstrates a misunderstanding of chronic alcoholism to speak of a 'solution'. If you're in the state Gazza's in then, bluntly, there is no solution. Support from family/friends combined with therapy and medication is as good as it gets. You can't pop a vulnerable person away for 90 days on their own and expect them to emerge 'fixed'. It just doesn't work.

He needs locking up. Treatment obviously does him no good whatsoever.

There's no other option but treatment. 'Locking [him] up' is an inhumane (and, as I'd expect you to know, impracticable) response, as is leaving him to his own devices.

The only solution is to put him in a place where he can't drink, can't interact with the outside world and can reflect upon what a thorough mess he's become and why.

He needs to be imprisoned or detained under the MHA for a long period, not days, weeks or months.

He's fucking ill you arsehole!

Guest neesy111

It demonstrates a misunderstanding of chronic alcoholism to speak of a 'solution'. If you're in the state Gazza's in then, bluntly, there is no solution. Support from family/friends combined with therapy and medication is as good as it gets. You can't pop a vulnerable person away for 90 days on their own and expect them to emerge 'fixed'. It just doesn't work.

The support of his family and friends has clearly not worked for 15 years now.

It strikes me that now that his playing days are gone, he's been unable to find a new role and purpose in his life. A job to get him up in the morning, basically. There's treatment that can stop him drinking, but if he then goes back to boredom and depression, soon or later he'll be tempted again. It's a bit like Best.

Trouble is, apart from playing football, I don't know what else he's good at. He's tried coaching and punditry, and that hasn't worked out.