Ashley has no one else to blame if we go down

TRon

Point is, no point in cost cutting when you cannot replace what you have with anything better. In Given we had a top class goalie one of the best. So its hard to turn it into a positive, even with his wages being freed up.....its still unlikely we'll find anyone who had as positive an impact on the side individually as him.

Owen is debatable. Think he'll improve under Shearer now, as hopefully will the entire team. He'll have more respect for Al, than he would have for Kinnear, Hughton etc i would say. Owen on top of his game = better than anyone else we could get in this position.

But if Owen doesnt turn it around, then you'd have to think that his wages could realistically be spent on someone more consistantly productive. Especially with Al here now.

So if Shearer keeps us up is everyone gona forget about everything that has happened this season and forgive Ashley?

I'm not saying forgive, but I do think that the club will move forward this summer once we secure survival.

Removing the likes of Geremi, Cacapa, Viduka, Owen (potentially now..), even Given will give the club so much more room for adding to the playing staff.

We'd miss one and half of them and their wages would cover 7 or eight new player wages easily.

I'm definitely cooling towards Ashley but I do hold the belief that this painful season was a painful necessisty to get us to a position where we can start again

I don't see how us losing Given was a step forward.

Hence we'll miss the one and a half (Owen obviously being half).

It goes without saying that Given is a better keeper then any of Harper, Krul, Forster but... If selling Given leads us to having available wages to sign a proper midfielder then the team as a whole would be better.

yes mate, but Newcastle shouldn't be thinking of such cost cutting. At the end of the day, as tooj says, selling Given - or creating the situation where he wanted to go to be more precise - is never a step forward. Its a huge step backwards and has sent out a bad message to the footballing world.

Of course Newcastle shouldn't be thinking along these lines.

But.......

We made an investment intended to get us back to the top 4 or top 6 at least and regular European football. The investment failed and now we have to act on this basis. It would have been the same if Fred was still here. There is no blame attached in this post to either Fred or Ashley, Fred made the investment, which didn't come off but most people agreed with at the time (even if the players themselves were debated, the fact we were spending money wasn't) and Ashley is dealing with the fall out.

Of course a team with Given and Owen in it which is challenging for Europe is preferrable to not having players of this ilk. But paying wages geared towards European football is not sustainable when you are struggling to even stay in the league. We're now getting to the stage where we may be able to spend a bit on new wages and have another crack at it, and this is the positive coming out of the current situation. Whether this is under Ashley or another new owner remains to be seen.

So if Shearer keeps us up is everyone gona forget about everything that has happened this season and forgive Ashley?

I'm not saying forgive, but I do think that the club will move forward this summer once we secure survival.

Removing the likes of Geremi, Cacapa, Viduka, Owen (potentially now..), even Given will give the club so much more room for adding to the playing staff.

We'd miss one and half of them and their wages would cover 7 or eight new player wages easily.

I'm definitely cooling towards Ashley but I do hold the belief that this painful season was a painful necessisty to get us to a position where we can start again

It goes without saying that Given is a better keeper then any of Harper, Krul, Forster but... If selling Given leads us to having available wages to sign a proper midfielder then the team as a whole would be better.

yes mate, but Newcastle shouldn't be thinking of such cost cutting. At the end of the day, as tooj says, selling Given - or creating the situation where he wanted to go to be more precise - is never a step forward. Its a huge step backwards and has sent out a bad message to the footballing world.

But.......

We made an investment intended to get us back to the top 4 or top 6 at least and regular European football. The investment failed and now we have to act on this basis. It would have been the same if Fred was still here. There is no blame attached in this post to either Fred or Ashley, Fred made the investment, which didn't come off but most people agreed with at the time (even if the players themselves were debated, the fact we were spending money wasn't) and Ashley is dealing with the fall out.

Of course a team with Given and Owen in it which is challenging for Europe is preferrable to not having players of this ilk. But paying wages geared towards European football is not sustainable when you are struggling to even stay in the league. We're now getting to the stage where we may be able to spend a bit on new wages and have another crack at it, and this is the positive coming out of the current situation. Whether this is under Ashley or another new owner remains to be seen.

That is spot on but my reservations are that there were better options to achieve what you are saying without Shay leaving.

Thoughts on Shearer in, Wise out, NE5?

He doesn't comment on good news stories.

still think the halls and Shepherd were so shite it may take us years or decades to at least match those european qualifications ?

I'm not going to apologise for this post. I tried to make comments and posts of a more positive nature and not mention how Mike Ashley is so inferior to his predecessors, but such childish posts as made here by jimmymag simply invite the response made.

I'm quite happy to comment on good news. Ask me again when Ashley runs the club when it qualifies for europe, by virtue of buying these despicable "trophy players" probably. That will be good news, or do you disagree ?

Menwhile, I've just bumped a post that jimmymag didn't reply to, but I don't expect him to understand the hypocrisy .....

But.......

I understand what you say, but in football, when you stop investing, you go backwards, or further behind the clubs who are winning the trophies. Guaranteed.

But.......

I understand what you say, but in football, when you stop investing, you go backwards, or further behind the clubs who are winning the trophies. Guaranteed.

not necessarily true (think us when we first came up or everton) but i get your point. however what happens when you are losing money and have massive debts.....do you keep on borrowing until whatever ?

Ashley is still a wanker. We're in this position now, having to appoint an unproven manager to placate the fans and hopefully save our season, because of the way he's ran this club into the ground.

He's going to have to do more tha appoint Shearer and get rid of Wise to get me on side. He's shown his true colours over the past few months and I for one don't like them. The season wasn't a 'necessity', nor will it be a blessing in disguise if we do stay up. It's an unmitigated fucking disaster and MA & DL need to take the vast majority of the blame for it and their completely negligent attitude towards the club.

I will support the team to the hilt, always have always will, but Ashley will be nothing other than a snake in my eyes. Too much water has passed under the bridge, too much damage has been done. In my opinion he still needs to go.

But.......

not necessarily true (think us when we first came up or everton) but i get your point. however what happens when you are losing money and have massive debts.....do you keep on borrowing until whatever ?

you obviously do what Ashley has done and get relegated instead.

But.......

you obviously do what Ashley has done and get relegated instead.

i'll make it easy for you, you don't have to type it out. i'll type it you just have to copy and paste ok ?

I BELIEVE THAT NUFC SHOULD JUST BORROW AND SPEND UNTIL WE ARE SUCCESFUL OR BANKRUPT WHICH EVER COMES FIRST.

is that easy enough for you. i'll even forget about the phase of saying that allardyce was brought in to work on next to nowt.

Ashley is still a wanker. We're in this position now, having to appoint an unproven manager to placate the fans and hopefully save our season, because of the way he's ran this club into the ground.

He's going to have to do more tha appoint Shearer and get rid of Wise to get me on side. He's shown his true colours over the past few months and I for one don't like them. The season wasn't a 'necessity', nor will it be a blessing in disguise if we do stay up. It's an unmitigated fucking disaster and MA & DL need to take the vast majority of the blame for it and their completely negligent attitude towards the club.

I will support the team to the hilt, always have always will, but Ashley will be nothing other than a snake in my eyes. Too much water has passed under the bridge, too much damage has been done. In my opinion he still needs to go.

well said.

hopefully we stay up and then the time for ashley to prove himself really starts. i do hope it's more substantial than the misguided keegan move ie trying to sell shit by marketing it with a friendly face.

Ashley is still a w*****. We're in this position now, having to appoint an unproven manager to placate the fans and hopefully save our season, because of the way he's ran this club into the ground.

He's going to have to do more tha appoint Shearer and get rid of Wise to get me on side. He's shown his true colours over the past few months and I for one don't like them. The season wasn't a 'necessity', nor will it be a blessing in disguise if we do stay up. It's an unmitigated f***ing disaster and MA & DL need to take the vast majority of the blame for it and their completely negligent attitude towards the club.

Absolutely agree, with just about every word.

As for blame, they're wholy responsible. Ashley's level/lack of ambition and the maligned football front-office structure were an unworkable mix for an old-school & ambitious manager, in the form of Keegan, who came back to complete 'unfinished business'. These two factors left us untouchable for any manager with pedigree on their side, and an unassailable challenge for any up & coming manager. Hence the appointment of Kinnear, a hack of his profession who was just happy to be 'in the job' at one of traditional big clubs.

IMO in the wake KK's departure the post was, and possibly still is, a resume wrecker for most managers unless you're a 'on your last legs manager' like Kinnear. The exception may be Shearer, it's a forgivable situation - ie. being appointed so late on, points adrift in the bottom 3, without the luxury of a transfer window to maneuver in/to make an impact signing - if he can't save us from the drop. He's a rookie and he's walked into the proverbial shitstorm, and for this i'll tip my hat off to him - and the current predicament is a baptism of fire in the extreme sense for any manager, let alone a rookie manager. 

In the event of relegation, if the likes of Blackburn don't drop many of points over the seaon's final stretch, and provided that he gets this team playing effective & organized football again - with some structure & shape, as Keegan did - it will bode well for any future career in the dug-out.

Taking onboard the slant adopted by Nial & Biffa - re Shearer's appointment - i hope there's an element of truth behind the 'other consortium' possibility, and this is indeed a precursor for Ashley selling up & pissing off.

The appointment of Shearer now does nothing to remove Ashley's culpability if the club are relegated - had he taken this step back in early February(as the previous Board did when appointing KK in 1992, and even then, it was touch & go until the last game), then it could be argued that he had acted quickly enough to shift some responsibility on to the manager.

Shearer cannot be held responsible in any real way because unlike the 1992 situation, he cannot sign any players ; KK got hold of Kilcline & Kevin Sheedy, both of whom were instrumental in keeping the club up and laying a foundation for a promotion challenge the following year, but Shearer cannot do this, and he has only 8 games to save the club.

His presence will make it more likely that the likes of Owen will do the business, because he has respect for

Big Al, and he will demand more respect from ALL the players, so it will be a major surprise if there isn't some improvement but the basic weaknesses in the side will still make the next 8 games a cliff-hanging experience for all concerned.

Nevertheless, I still hold Ashley responsible, both for allowing the situation to develop in the first place with bad appointments, and for allowing it to go on this far into the season.

What worries me is that during Ashley's reign we've seen Kevin Keegan's legend at Newcastle (at least slightly) tarnished, and now he's bringing in another of our living legends just when it looks like we might get relegated. There's already an asterisk beside Keegan's good name at Newcastle, now we might just get one beside Shearer's.

Just like with Kev, this could all end in tears.

I'd say credit to Ashley for this move. Not only has he brought in the man who has turned us down many times already (when the offer seemed a lot more inviting), but he has got rid of Wise. It seems as though hes accepting the problems that were evident in the whole KK era and although the move may have come a little bit too late, hes helped restore some optimisim back into the club. Hopefully this will give us the much needed boost that the playing/coaching staff need.

Shearer has claimed before that he would never work under the regime but obviously something HAS changed for him to come in, even if it is just for a couple of months. At the moment he won't get to see a transfer window but even if we do go down, he has his foot in the door and it will take some effort to remove him. It may be a slightly different role but I can't see him cleanly walking away in the summer - football is an addicting thing!

Obviously there have been errors but can we at least pull together and enjoy the last few months of the season? Forget what has happened in this very strange and eventful season and help the team remain in the top flight.

No doubt Shearer is only here on his own terms, i.e. full control.

Why they couldn't do the same for Keegan, I don't know. It would have saved us a lot of trouble.

Saved Ashley a lot of money n all.

Guest Brummiemag

No doubt Shearer is only here on his own terms, i.e. full control.

Why they couldn't do the same for Keegan, I don't know. It would have saved us a lot of trouble.

Agreed but I think Ashley hasn't got a clue, he's making it up as he goes along