Ashley has no one else to blame if we go down

TRon

As I've said before, offer Venables a £2 million bonus if he keeps us up and he'd be here tomorrow.

Ashley is a gambler, surely it's worth punting £2 million in the hope of saving the £100 million his investment will plunge by if we go down.

Honest question to those crying out for something/anything to be "done". 

What's the realistic option at this point? Note that I said "at this point".  I'm not interested in rehashing the fuckups that lead us here - they're numerous and drastic but they're only what got us in the shit.  Throwing about hypotheticals and discussing this that and the other that should have maybe been done 8 months ago is useless when it comes to talking about sorting this mess out. 

So again what's the realistic option at this point?  I don't think saying "get el Tel" in is realistic.  I'm uncertain as to why people think he, or anyone for that matter, would come in as a stopgap.  Fuck 8 weeks of work, no one BAR JOE FUCKING KINNEAR was willing to come in for what would have amounted to almost a full season.  Saying "oh he/she/it would jump at the chance" NOW is ridiculous and unrealistic, although I'd love to be proven wrong. 

So what is plan B?  Plan A is obviously "stick with your choice, come what may.  Back him publicly, present a unified front."

What is plan B and why is it better and more reasonable? 

The club was up for sale when Kinnear came in, now its not.  Also money talks, offer someone £100,000 per week for the 8 weeks and a £2 million bonus if we stay up and you'll have managers beating the fucking door down!

I cant believe this club is risking its survival in top flight football, for Joe Kinnear. This has to be the quickest deterioration of a club in football history surely? Has a club ever gone from fans on cloud 9, top 6 ambitions etc to this in the space of a season?

I would say we desperately need a manager, any manager - I actually think we have the ability in the squad to stay up, but they're clearing lacking confidence and direction, even Big Sam acknowledeged that you really need a figurehead at times like this.

I don't necessarily agree that Venables wouldn't come - I reckon if we waved a big enough wedge of cash at hime he would be here like a shot. Failing that, try someone like Curbishley, maybe even George Graham for fucks sake - anything is better than nothing.

Excellent suggestion. Graham is desperate for work, he's an utter cunt but a born leader. Not sure he's right at this stage, but anyone who can offer some direction, motivation or a kick up the arse for the team is better than Hughton.

Just to clear it up because I think I'm coming off a little confrontational - I'm not trying to pick fights or anything.  I just really see no other option from the top as being viable other than "back your horse."

Also I don't think they'd suddenly pick now of all times to start waving money about.

I don't see why not.  Its fine to say "nah we're fine, don't waste money" in January with so many games left.  But with 8 games left you'd think they'd finally realise the position we're in and become desperate and desperation is a great policy changer.

Eh, I just don't see it.  They've made their bed and they're going to sleep in it. 

TBH though I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they have tried to get someone in behind the scenes and failed because of our situation.  Even in this day and age there are more important things in football than money to some people. 

Just to clear it up because I think I'm coming off a little confrontational - I'm not trying to pick fights or anything.  I just really see no other option from the top as being viable other than "back your horse."

Also I don't think they'd suddenly pick now of all times to start waving money about.

I don't see why not.  Its fine to say "nah we're fine, don't waste money" in January with so many games left.  But with 8 games left you'd think they'd finally realise the position we're in and become desperate and desperation is a great policy changer.

Just a change in faces is often enough to get you a couple of wins on the feelgood factor. It could be the difference between going down or staying in the premier. It's better than just waiting like doomed men. I honestly think Ashley just doesn't want to admit he has got this wrong now and is just trying to save face. It's a big price to pay for your pride if it goes wrong which it will under Hughton.

Eh, I just don't see it.  They've made their bed and they're going to sleep in it. 

TBH though I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they have tried to get someone in behind the scenes and failed because of our situation.  Even in this day and age there are more important things in football than money to some people. 

I think they just really don't understand the situation we're in, which IMO is that we're 99% sure to go down with Hughton in charge for even another four games.  If they thought the same as me then of course they'd throw money at the management situation.  They'd be clinically insane if they thought putting in £3 million for a chance of saving £150 million was a bad deal.

Guest Phil K

As I've said before, offer Venables a £2 million bonus if he keeps us up and he'd be here tomorrow.

True. Venables is money-obsessed, and if he could keep this lot up it'd be worth it.

Honest question to those crying out for something/anything to be "done". 

What's the realistic option at this point? Note that I said "at this point".  I'm not interested in rehashing the fuckups that lead us here - they're numerous and drastic but they're only what got us in the s***.  Throwing about hypotheticals and discussing this that and the other that should have maybe been done 8 months ago is useless when it comes to talking about sorting this mess out. 

So again what's the realistic option at this point?  I don't think saying "get el Tel" in is realistic.  I'm uncertain as to why people think he, or anyone for that matter, would come in as a stopgap.  f*** 8 weeks of work, no one BAR JOE f***ing KINNEAR was willing to come in for what would have amounted to almost a full season.  Saying "oh he/she/it would jump at the chance" NOW is ridiculous and unrealistic, although I'd love to be proven wrong. 

So what is plan B?  Plan A is obviously "stick with your choice, come what may.  Back him publicly, present a unified front."

Some more reasonably realistic options: Adriaanse (will leave Salzburg sooner rather than later and will not be there next season anyway), Ketsbaia (has pratcically begged for the job), Ronald Koeman and Huub Stevens (both unemployed). There must be loads more for people who know other competitions and unemployed managers. Offer them a bonus to keep us up and the prospect of a contract extension in case they do and I'm sure we can find better than Hughton and Kinnear and the dooming prospect of relegation, if not this year then next...

the problem with people saying "what can we do now?" is that the same arguments were made weeks ago, too. We should've been proactive back then, either in sacking kinnear and bringing a full-time manager back in December when ashley announced he was staying, or in bringing in a proper interim manager when Kinnear was taken ill.

this international break is probably the last good opportunity to try and do something proactive, option one is commit a sizeable amount on attracting a temporary boss like Venables. a stupid fee like £2m for 8 weeks work will attract most unemployed managers, thinking, if i dont keep them up i wont be blamed and will get paid handsomely, if i do stay up ill probably get the permanent gig.

the second option would be hiring a permanent manager on something like a 3 year contract. we all seem to acknowledge that we need a new manager at the end of the season, but why not make the move now? are we more likely to get a good boss having been relegated or now with the chance of staying up? if we have to replace Kinnear, and we do, why wait? it is a risk but it is also a risk to keep Hughton in charge and bank on Kinnear making a recovery and magically acquiring managerial skills that he hasnt shown for us. if we get a good manager and say 'this is our bloke survival or not' it offers a sense of structure and continuity rather than unease and panic and gives the new bloke long-term authority over the squad. each day ashley fails to act makes relegation that bit more likely.

though knowing how thick the bloke is when it comes to football he'd probably bring in Howard Wilkinson.

Guest Phil K

though knowing how thick the bloke is when it comes to football he'd probably bring in Howard Wilkinson.

Even Howard Wilkinson is no worse -probably a good deal better - and thats no ***** praise, believe me)  than Kinnear and co

I'd love to believe that's true, about having sounded out a credible manager to take over.  However you just can't believe anything in the papers these days (or indeed any days really).  Also we shouldn't just be sounding one out in case Kinnear can't come back, we should have hired him already!  I mean what are we waiting for?, Lambias has said already that Kinnear won't be allowed to be manager until the last couple of games of the season.  Are they going to wait until the last two games of the season and then hire another temporary manager just for those if Kinnear can't make it?  I'd put nothing past this bunch of clowns.

Well it looks like Joe isn't going to be back to "steady the ship" as a full time manager any time soon, but the report does say that a "credible" manager has been sounded out to step into the breach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/30/newcastleunited-mike-ashley

If it's not Venables then who could it be? My money's on Curbishley.

Just checked Venables write up on Wiki "On the whole Venables is regarded as the worst manager in the history of Leeds United." That was his last job lets stay clear of this cunt.

the problem with people saying "what can we do now?" is that the same arguments were made weeks ago, too. We should've been proactive back then, either in sacking kinnear and bringing a full-time manager back in December when ashley announced he was staying, or in bringing in a proper interim manager when Kinnear was taken ill.

this international break is probably the last good opportunity to try and do something proactive, option one is commit a sizeable amount on attracting a temporary boss like Venables. a stupid fee like £2m for 8 weeks work will attract most unemployed managers, thinking, if i dont keep them up i wont be blamed and will get paid handsomely, if i do stay up ill probably get the permanent gig.

the second option would be hiring a permanent manager on something like a 3 year contract. we all seem to acknowledge that we need a new manager at the end of the season, but why not make the move now? are we more likely to get a good boss having been relegated or now with the chance of staying up? if we have to replace Kinnear, and we do, why wait? it is a risk but it is also a risk to keep Hughton in charge and bank on Kinnear making a recovery and magically acquiring managerial skills that he hasnt shown for us. if we get a good manager and say 'this is our bloke survival or not' it offers a sense of structure and continuity rather than unease and panic and gives the new bloke long-term authority over the squad. each day ashley fails to act makes relegation that bit more likely.

Horse-bolted-stables-unlocked-fools-sailed-boat-has-ship-of-etc......

Ashley really didnt know what he was getting into, first with buying the club on a wim without carrying out due dillegence, then his MASSIVE mistake picking Wise and Llambias over Keegan.

I honestly don't know what he's thinking - struggling at Xmas and buying nobody in the January window. His decisions don't make sense, unless he wants to piss off all NUFC fans and show he's the one making decisions.

But still, he surely can't be happy us getting relegated.

Fuck me, what a shambles our club is.

Well it looks like Joe isn't going to be back to "steady the ship" as a full time manager any time soon, but the report does say that a "credible" manager has been sounded out to step into the breach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/30/newcastleunited-mike-ashley

If it's not Venables then who could it be? My money's on Curbishley.

The "credible manager" lined up seems to be Steve Bruce which would mean that it's an appointment that won't take place till next season by which time we might already be in the  Championship. That would explain partly why Ashley has been so reluctuant to hire a fire fighter short term.