Ireland Internationals

Decky

for those wanting technologoy brought in for these sort of occasions....NO! are we going to question every tackle,every nudge,every hold that could be a foul, not to mentipon off the ball stuff, as they could all change the game. no one would have gave a toss had gallas been 10yds back and terry henry cross had went aimlessly across the box.

imagine every game being dragged back 10secs later for some minor infringment.....each corner would take an hour as the bloke with the video worked out which foul came first from all the camera angles.

refs make mistakes,even in the nfl mistrakes are made and that takes nigh on 4hrs to complete a 60minute game.........f*** that.

When has it ever been suggested that a playback would be used for ever tackle?  Total exageration on your part.  If a ref is going to ask for a video replay for every tackle, he will soon find himself off the pro list.  Be sensible ffs.

well it would have to be if it was to be fair or should it only be before goals ?

It is used in other sports where the ref is unsure or it is a major decision. Ref's dont want to be shown up for giving pens that werent every week, but they also dont want to be seen as being unable to get the majority of decisions right with their own eyes.  I would seriously expect there to be 3 - 4 decisions max per game for a replay decision.  If it was going to be more I wouldnt agree with it.  I have been a ref and none of them would want to be seen to need advice on a throw in.  In most cases after a goal, by the time the players have celecrated the 4th official could have made the right decision.  If he cant decide, the refs original call stands.

in other sports it isn't used all the time.  very much ijust in certain situatians. i'm pretty sure if it had been used in tha way that the the irish wouldn't have complained about the pen they got against georgia after seeing it.

edit...i'll pm you a link to the pen against georgia if you want....notice they didn't whine about that ?

but did the players of georgia whine?  or feel cheated?

for those wanting technologoy brought in for these sort of occasions....NO! are we going to question every tackle,every nudge,every hold that could be a foul, not to mentipon off the ball stuff, as they could all change the game. no one would have gave a toss had gallas been 10yds back and terry henry cross had went aimlessly across the box.

imagine every game being dragged back 10secs later for some minor infringment.....each corner would take an hour as the bloke with the video worked out which foul came first from all the camera angles.

refs make mistakes,even in the nfl mistrakes are made and that takes nigh on 4hrs to complete a 60minute game.........f*** that.

When has it ever been suggested that a playback would be used for ever tackle?  Total exageration on your part.  If a ref is going to ask for a video replay for every tackle, he will soon find himself off the pro list.  Be sensible ffs.

well it would have to be if it was to be fair or should it only be before goals ?

It is used in other sports where the ref is unsure or it is a major decision. Ref's dont want to be shown up for giving pens that werent every week, but they also dont want to be seen as being unable to get the majority of decisions right with their own eyes.  I would seriously expect there to be 3 - 4 decisions max per game for a replay decision.  If it was going to be more I wouldnt agree with it.  I have been a ref and none of them would want to be seen to need advice on a throw in.  In most cases after a goal, by the time the players have celecrated the 4th official could have made the right decision.  If he cant decide, the refs original call stands.

in other sports it isn't used all the time.  very much ijust in certain situatians. i'm pretty sure if it had been used in tha way that the the irish wouldn't have complained about the pen they got against georgia after seeing it.

edit...i'll pm you a link to the pen against georgia if you want....notice they didn't whine about that ?

but did the players of georgia whine?  or feel cheated?

can't remember them asking for the game to be replayed.

Let's get this straight.  I couldn't give a s*** about Ireland, I have no affinity or time for them tbh.  My issue is about progression.  The point is also not about players whingeing about this or that.  It is about getting the right outcome where it is easily available.  I've made mistakes and people have told me I was wrong.  Would I have liked to be able to take 30 seconds to decide on one or two?  Too right.  Being asked to review 6, 10 or 20 decisions each game, you shouldn't be anywhere near the pitch imo.

but if the technology is there surely you'd use it more. if not why not as your only after the correct outcome right ?

Let's get this straight.  I couldn't give a s*** about Ireland, I have no affinity or time for them tbh.  My issue is about progression.  The point is also not about players whingeing about this or that.  It is about getting the right outcome where it is easily available.  I've made mistakes and people have told me I was wrong.  Would I have liked to be able to take 30 seconds to decide on one or two?  Too right.  Being asked to review 6, 10 or 20 decisions each game, you shouldn't be anywhere near the pitch imo.

but if the technology is there surely you'd use it more. if not why not as your only after the correct outcome right ?

This is going nowhere.  It is available in many sports but the officials are capable of judging most situations, therefore it would be stupidity to suggest it is needed to decide on throw-ins and bog standard fouls.  What is difficult about; is it or is it not a pen, did it cross the line?

Guest toonlass

This is going nowhere.  It is available in many sports but the officials are capable of judging most situations, therefore it would be stupidity to suggest it is needed to decide on throw-ins and bog standard fouls.  What is difficult about; is it or is it not a pen, did it cross the line?

What if the ball went out for a throw in and the ref gave the throw the way of the wrong team (as often happenes). Say that team has someone like Rory Delap who can throw the ball 3 miles if he feels like it, and he throws the ball into the penalty area and his striker heads it into the net and scores to win the game. You would then have an argument about the technology being extended to throw ins etc.

games like football and rugby which flow would end up being too stop start. i've no problem with technology for over the line stuff but tackles etc would be to the detriment of the game. interesting that in rugby it isn't used in standard play but only for is it a try or not and the ref still has the ability to make mistakes elsewhere on the pitch.

IMO technology isn't needed for hidden handballs that the ref misses, or balls crossing the line that aren't given. We're talking about once in a blue moon stuff, things that happen very rarely, and although it's entirely unfair and unjust on on party (or entire nations even), it happens so rarely that the benefits of implementing expensive systems would be far outweighed by the cost.

The one area that football does badly need technology in is in the offside department. The number of bad decisions made by linesmen in practically every game (and often numerous times in a game) has an infinitely bigger impact on changing the outcome of matches than all of these other contentious decisions combined. It's ridiculous how often we see a player legitimately being put through on goal only then to be flagged up because the linesman suddenly thinks "woah, he's clear in space, MUST have been offside".

I'm not sure how this problem would be solved by technology, but I'm sure a solution can be found if people wanted it. Maybe they could use video replays to check whether someone was onside or not during play, which means that when a through ball is played and the player is slightly offisde, play continues, and if it's confirmed as offside 10 seconds later (irrespective of whether the fouling team scores a goal or not) a free kick is awarded (unless the other team has won the ball already). That way, the game wouldn't be held up waiting for a decision, it would still be flowing but with the ref being told to take the game back (similar to playing-on when someone is fouled). Or maybe in the near future the ball/players could be tagged and advanced simulation software used to check for certain whether a player was offside when the pass was played (or whether they were interferring with play based on what zone they were in).

But whatever, it's a much bigger problem and actually warrants new technology being introduced.

this is just embarrassing now.  Let it go man.

This.  I'd rather see them challenge France's place than ask to be in as well.  The perfect plan for a play-off: Hey, we both want in, so, why don't you cheat, so you'll get in cos you won, and we'll get in out of sympathy.

For the record, I'm completely against video technology, and will be proper gutted if it's introduced.

This.  I'd rather see them challenge France's place than ask to be in as well.  The perfect plan for a play-off: Hey, we both want in, so, why don't you cheat, so you'll get in cos you won, and we'll get in out of sympathy.

For the record, I'm completely against video technology, and will be proper gutted if it's introduced.

bit of an over reaction?

bit of an over reaction?

Not sure, I'd need to see it again.

if they get away with it, can we ask to not have been relegated?  :fishing:

Exactly. Claim Schwarzer cheated to get Nolan penalised in that last home game when he locked arms with him. Might as well.

if they get away with it, can we ask to not have been relegated?  :fishing:

Exactly. Claim Schwarzer cheated to get Nolan penalised in that last home game when he locked arms with him. Might as well.

Show them all the BS disallowed goals. Any one of which would have kept us up.