Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest ovesbar

This season Butt has played like 1 good game for 5 crappy ones. Next season, we'll just let him play the good ones :coolsmiley:

Guest Phil K

It seems (happily) that the 2 year deal for Kinnear and those clown coaches has been quietly dropped.

No real problems with him picking out those three, even though i don't particlarly like two of them as footballers (Harper, Butt). The fact of the matter is, they genuinely do care - and whilst my argument has always been quality over graft, if we're going to get back into the Premiership we're going to need fuckers that care. The potential to build a young and hungry squad is enormous and it is quite exciting, and the likes of Nicky Butt are going to be invaluable in the dressing room. If Butt's a guaranteed starter (Shearer highlighting him does not necassarily mean that will be the case), it will be a bit more of a concern, because he's not a good player.

The media seem to think that Butt has been outstanding this year for some reason so it's not beyond the possibility that they've picked those 3 as "obvious" players to keep off their own backs.

Like or not but Butt has shown more energy in midfield than those around in these last few games. Yes it shows the crap we've got and yes his passing has been woeful but if we can get players in around him he will do a job next year. He'll win the ball and give it to somone better - he didn't have this option in the current team.

Agree with this.

His passing was way off. but he embarrassed Nolan, Lovenkrands and Guthrie - all of whom are substantially younger - with the amount of effort he put in. I can't understand why Butt seems to be copping more flak than the other three.

His experience would be invaluable in the Championship, especially if we're going to bring some of the younger players through, as would Duffs.

Nicky Butt is a tremendous professional who has won so many honours with Manchester United it must be difficult for him being down in the doldrums with us. He rarely misplaces a pass and is a key part of our team. It is rare when he gives away a penalty, a truly rare error. He sits in front of the back 4 brilliantly, a magnificent leader of men and he would still get into most Premiership sides. His tackling makes Essien look like Chris Bart-Williams. Furthermore, Butt is a goal threat from midfield, something he has added to his game as his career has progressed. In summary, we are lucky to have Nicky Butt.

[/The media & every manager ever for some f***ing reason]

I thought long before Shearer came in that a coaching trio of Shearer, Carver and Lee (or Speed) would be brilliant. If the news is true Carver would be the perfect foil for Shearer (another man that the fans trust).

I thought long before Shearer came in that a coaching trio of Shearer, Carver and Lee (or Speed) would be brilliant. If the news is true Carver would be the perfect foil for Shearer (another man that the fans trust).

thought carver got plenty of stick before he left?

Butt is a liability in the Premier but he should be okay at a lower level. If he misses a few passes it won't matter so much, we'll get the ball back a lot quicker in the Championship.

It seems (happily) that the 2 year deal for Kinnear and those clown coaches has been quietly dropped.

I wonder if they'll even make reference to him. :lol:

Can we blame kinnear for much at this point if we're to accept that Shearer couldnt get them to produce because he inherited crap ?

Only difference for kinnear was having Given.

What i find worrying is that Dowie is probably the main lad in charge of tactics & theres little reason to believe the guy has the ability to turn us into a team that plays nice football.

Under keegan there was a definate difference when he took over in how we played, under shearer not so much. Though to be fair, keegan had better players at his disposal.

Butt is a liability in the Premier but he should be okay at a lower level. If he misses a few passes it won't matter so much, we'll get the ball back a lot quicker in the Championship.

no different from a striker who's legs have gone, surround him with pace a division down he'd look a  lot better - reduce the area he has to patrol as DM and he'd be more effective at that too

rather see him gone mind

I wonder if they'll even make reference to him. :lol:

Can we blame kinnear for much at this point if we're to accept that Shearer couldnt get them to produce because he inherited crap ?

Only difference for kinnear was having Given.

What i find worrying is that Dowie is probably the main lad in charge of tactics & theres little reason to believe the guy has the ability to turn us into a team that plays nice football.

Under keegan there was a definate difference when he took over in how we played, under shearer not so much. Though to be fair, keegan had better players at his disposal.

How many games did it take Keegan to turn it around? Eight games without a win, AND with better players. I'm not saying Shearer is as good as Keegan of course.

If Shearer had been in charge for 20 games and still taken us down I think there would be much less sympathy for him.

Also, he doesn't act like a cunt.

I barely ever see butt doing anything anymore other than 5 yard passes and strolling along a bit.

I dont see him passing it well, winning hard tackles, winning sliding tackles, pressurizing players...whats the point.

Guest Phil K

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Still baffled by the appointment of Dowie mind.

I'm OK with Butt to remain.