Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

An agreement to buy can open up a managerial appointment and some basic transfer activity though, surely? They wouldn't have to have all the paperwork completed to know what they want to do.

Have Portsmouth been officially sold yet?My point being,this is a time consuming exercise,and I believe Pompey have been waiting longer than us for something concrete.

Their prospective buyers agreed to buy them before Ashley had even announced he was going to sell our club and their takeover is STILL not done. This is why the end of a month is an unlikely deadline for us.

wasnt Ashleys takeover fairly swift though? Im sure i remember it all happenign fairly quickly. Every scenario is different i suppose.

Have Portsmouth been officially sold yet?My point being,this is a time consuming exercise,and I believe Pompey have been waiting longer than us for something concrete.

Their prospective buyers agreed to buy them before Ashley had even announced he was going to sell our club and their takeover is STILL not done. This is why the end of a month is an unlikely deadline for us.

wasnt Ashleys takeover fairly swift though? Im sure i remember it all happenign fairly quickly. Every scenario is different i suppose.

Only because the daft twat didn't even look at what he was buying.

harris from seymour seemed confident of sale by end of the month.

Im not saying the journos are right by the way

Harris was confident last time too :kinnear:

He does seem a bit of a bullshitter doesn't he, I tend not hold too much stock in what he says.

Uh oh - Daily Mail alert, Daily Mail mind you  :kasper:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1195287/Alan-Shearer-land-Newcastle-United-job-summoned-London-final-Mike-Ashley-talks.html?ITO=1490

Alan Shearer to land Newcastle job after being summoned to London for final Ashley talks

by COLIN YOUNG

Last updated at 12:20 AM on 25th June 2009

Alan Shearer is on the verge of being installed as Newcastle manager on a permanent basis as he heads for crunch talks with owner Mike Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias on Thursday.

Shearer has been waiting for news on the future of the troubled club, and has been in the dark over negotiations between several consortia, Ashley and former Football League chairman Keith Harris who has been given the remit to sell Newcastle.

Alan Shearer

Crunch talks: Shearer is set to be named Newcastle boss after talks in London

He has been summoned to a meeting with the current Newcastle board in London and is hoping to get the green light to take over the managerial reigns permanently.

Ashley and Llambias have said all along that they would only appoint Shearer if all prospective buyers backed that decision.

The former England skipper is now hoping to be in charge when the squad return for pre-season training on Wednesday, and has plans to offload several highly-paid members of his squad before they embark on a July tour of Holland and Ireland.

Followed by s**** about Owen Stoke etc

Utter bollocks.

mate, we know you disaprove of the ashley regime, we know its been a disaster, we know you prefer freddy. you dont have to just be negative all the time you know, you're becoming a bit of a pantomime figure now, NE5 did it so much better.

False hopes

Newspaper reports in recent days had led to renewed optimism that the SJP log jam was set to clear and new owners would be announced - along with a permanent managerial appointment.

However we're now given to understand that talk of an early conclusion to the sale is premature and that the claims of Alan Shearer meeting Ashley etc. are false.

As things stand, pre-season training will begin next Wednesday with Chris Hughton at the helm. And as to who will be deciding which players are present - your guess is as good as ours...

From .com

Guest neesy111

does anyone here think shearer would want to keep most of the squad if available

i don't think so

does anyone here think shearer would want to keep most of the squad if available

i don't think so

Ih ewas told he could keep whoever he liked I dare say there would be a good few he would be happy to keep.

Funny thing is we could end up with having to keep most of the squad because there won't be time to shift anyone in or out. If we don't go up at the first attempt that could seriously damage the finances of the club.

What is a more interesting question and perhaps more relevant is "Is this squad minus Owen, Viduka, Loven, Edgar and Nacho good enough to get out of the championship ?" On paper I think it is, but in terms of heart and application they proved last year that they have none of either.

Guest Geordiesned

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/4458584.Desperate_situation_has_got_worse/

Desperate situation has got worse

YOU have to hand it to Mike Ashley, he doesn’t do things by half.

Not content with running Newcastle United into the ground last season, the outgoing Magpies owner now appears to be doing all he can to ensure the club starts life in the Championship in the worst possible position.

Four-and-a-half weeks on from last month’s devastating defeat at Aston Villa, and a situation that looked desperate at the time has only got worse.

In the intervening period, Ashley has done nothing.

Okay, not exactly nothing – it’s Wimbledon fortnight so he’s probably managed to knock out a few cut-price tennis balls – but in terms of preparing Newcastle for next season, progress has been non-existent.

No one has arrived, and more importantly, no one has left either. Other, of course, from the hundred-orso low-paid club employees who inevitably paid the price for Newcastle’s allround incompetence.

The process of selling the club limps on interminably, with Ashley and the equally hapless Derek Llambias hiding behind a raft of confidentiality agreements to maintain a wall of silence that has alienated supporters for more than two seasons.

We keep hearing suggestions that two competing consortia are talking terms with brokers Seymour Pierce, but then we’ve been hearing that for a couple of weeks now and the status quo remains.

And all the while, the clock is ticking. Newcastle’s players – and there are still plenty of them on £50,000-aweek – are due to return for the start of pre-season training next Wednesday. When they do so, it is imperative that a full-time manager is there to greet them. To make things even simpler, it is imperative that manager is Alan Shearer.

Ashley has kept his managerial options open in the last month, claiming it would be counter-productive to install a new boss at such a delicate stage of takeover proceedings.

Perhaps, at the start of the month, that was true.

Now, though, The situation has changed, and if Newcastle are to have any chance of hitting the ground running in August, they need a fulltime manager to sift through the wreckage of what remains from last season.

What they don’t need is Chris Hughton handing out a few bibs and cones as a group of disillusioned players trudge back to work.

Hughton’s limitations have been cruelly exposed, and if he was to begin a third caretaker spell in charge of the Magpies next week, the message would be one of impermanence and confusion.

The start of pre-season training should represent a line in the sand, but how can Newcastle possibly embark on a new era if no one knows who will be leading them through their pre-season programme?

Ashley has dealt in ‘What ifs’ when it comes to Shearer.

What if the new owners don’t want him? What if they are reluctant to meet his contract demands?

Fine, but with less than a week of the summer training break to go, the ‘What ifs’ are now outweighed by the ‘What if nots’.

If Shearer is not installed before the middle of next week, it is hard to see how anyone can have any confidence about where the club is headed.

The players want Shearer, the supporters want Shearer and all the prospective new owners appear to want the former number nine as well.

To his immense credit, Shearer still wants the job despite all the to-ing and fro-ing of the last four weeks.

It seems a no-brainer, but then that description seems to fit Ashley perfectly. It will be his biggest mistake - and that’s saying something - if Shearer is not installed before Wednesday.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Apparently Caulkin has been on Talksport, adamant something is going to happen tomorrow. :dontknow:

I heard it Kinnear has been given the all clear by doctors to resume duties

Guest sicko2ndbest

Apparently Caulkin has been on Talksport, adamant something is going to happen tomorrow. :dontknow:

I heard it Kinnear has been given the all clear by doctors to resume duties

Don't even joke about things like that.

I wasnt joking

Gardening duties!

Guest Mantis

I'm concerned at the apparent lack of any movement whatsoever and the general acceptance of the 'wait and see' approach.  How long do we have to wait and see FFS?  If the players return on Weds and there is no Manager in place, things need to be cranked up somehow.  Granted Ashley is unlikely to be seen up here again, but this club cant be allowed to die with toon fans standing watching it happen. 

I'm concerned at the apparent lack of any movement whatsoever and the general acceptance of the 'wait and see' approach.  How long do we have to wait and see FFS?  If the players return on Weds and there is no Manager in place, things need to be cranked up somehow.  Granted Ashley is unlikely to be seen up here again, but this club cant be allowed to die with toon fans standing watching it happen. 

What can we do? ???

Get down to SJP and make fools of ourselves on SSN? Nobody is happy with this situation but there's fuck all we can do apart from not renewing, which I reckon is probably happening anyway.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Threat title should be changed. Defcon 4?

Which way we going

Are we saying defcon 5 (peacetime) is when we are at peace because we are sold or are we saying that nothing is happening

I propose

DefCon

5 - We are sold

4 - Official bids for the club have been made, and shearer has been installed as manager

3 - Still speculation on the takeover, no word on manager

2 - Bidders put off by terms on the table, Shearer declares himself out of the running

1 - Ashley still in charge, Hughton caretaker manager

Whatdya reckon parky?

We don't know if there is a lack of progress though all we have is scraps of contradicting information from the media. I'm not angry with the regime for putting the club up for sale at this time, it had to be done to take the club forward, it takes as long as it takes.

What I do have a problem with is once again we, the fans, are left guessing. Where is this improved communication we were promised? Oh wait Llambias gave us a complete crock about hearing some information at the end of last week. I don't expect to be updated every other day, it would be nice just not to be treat like a fucking mug for once, is that too much to ask?

Threat title should be changed. Defcon 4?

Which way we going

Are we saying defcon 5 (peacetime) is when we are at peace because we are sold or are we saying that nothing is happening

I propose

DefCon

5 - We are sold

4 - Official bids for the club have been made, and shearer has been installed as manager

3 - Still speculation on the takeover, no word on manager

2 - Bidders put off by terms on the table, Shearer declares himself out of the running

1 - Ashley still in charge, Hughton caretaker manager

Whatdya reckon parky?

The other way round.

4. Fictitious bidders and perhaps FFS looked at summink in some room somewhere, before running for the hills.

5. Ashley stays till the receivers are called.

We are all I'm sure praying for some kind of lucky break.

We don't know if there is a lack of progress though all we have is scraps of contradicting information from the media. I'm not angry with the regime for putting the club up for sale at this time, it had to be done to take the club forward, it takes as long as it takes.

What I do have a problem with is once again we, the fans, are left guessing. Where is this improved communication we were promised? Oh wait Llambias gave us a complete crock about hearing some information at the end of last week. I don't expect to be updated every other day, it would be nice just not to be treat like a fucking mug for once, is that too much to ask?

I doubt they are interested as neither have been at SJP for about 3 weeks.