Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Would have done no harm giving AS a rolling contract and then let the new owners decide without strings. That would have been a credible solution instead of just sitting there doing nothing.

Would have done no harm giving AS a rolling contract and then let the new owners decide without strings. That would have been a credible solution instead of just sitting there doing nothing.

Why would Shearer, or any other self-respecting manager, sign a contract like that?

Why would Shearer, or any other self-respecting manager, sign a contract like that?

For the same reason he jumped in to try and save us.

^Yeah that's right - they took the piss 'before Shearer arrived.

They were mega professional for those last 8 games weren't they?

Did I say that?

What I did say was that the players took the piss out of Hughton, that's on the record from several players and Shearer himself, and they will again in my view.

Are you saying that Shearer didn't have, and wouldn't have, a positive affect on player's attitudes and professionalism???  If you are, then you're a bigger idiot than I thought were.

Guest johnson293

Slightly different situation now though - with 8 games to go, the club needed to do something to try and lift the players, and focus them on the task of trying to stay up, which unfortunately failed. The players knew it was 8 games, and what and who they were playing for, for those 8 games.

This time, it would be appointing him on a rolling contract when potential new owners may not want him ,and may end his rolling contract pretty quick, leading to more uncertainty for the players that are left.

Slightly different situation now though - with 8 games to go, the club needed to do something to try and lift the players, and focus them on the task of trying to stay up, which unfortunately failed. The players knew it was 8 games, and what and who they were playing for, for those 8 games.

This time, it would be appointing him on a rolling contract when potential new owners may not want him ,and may end his rolling contract pretty quick, leading to more uncertainty for the players that are left.

That's the whole idea of a rolling contract.

Did I say that?

What I did say was that the players took the piss out of Hughton, that's on the record from several players and Shearer himself, and they will again in my view.

Are you saying that Shearer didn't have, and wouldn't have, a positive affect on player's attitudes and professionalism???  If you are, then you're a bigger idiot than I thought were.

Those last 8 games were as bad as the 8 before them.

That last 45 mins is the most gutless performance I've seen from ANY NUFC side in the last 30+ years.

Did I say that?

That last 45 mins is the most gutless performance I've seen from ANY NUFC side in the last 30+ years.

And Shearer would have taken action against the vast majority of that squad by getting rid of the gutless, overpaid pisstakers, but he hasn't been given the chance.

You imply in your posts that you don't rate Shearer as a manager and the failure to preserve our Premier League status was ultimately down to him. If that's the case I think it puts you in a minority of 1.

I feel sorry for Hughton in all honesty. The bloke was brought in to give Keegan a hand and he's been manager for about almost half of our games last season, not to mention doing all the coaching as well. I've been told by quite a few that Kinnear didn't really do much in training meaning it was Hughton and Paul Barron doing everything except fitness and conditioning.

Did I say that?

And Shearer would have taken action against the vast majority of that squad by getting rid of the gutless, overpaid pisstakers, but he hasn't been given the chance.

You imply in your posts that you don't rate Shearer as a manager and the failure to preserve our Premier League status was ultimately down to him. If that's the case I think it puts you in a minority of 1.

The comment you made that I took exception to is this one
Hughton can say what he likes, but the fact is that without a manager in place the players will take the piss, just like they did before Shearer arrived last season. For every day that Hughton is in charge the chances of us having a good season diminish.
My point is they were still taking the piss AFTER he arrived.

Again, look at that last 45 mins it was utterly pathetic.

Nah, not buying that. Why should he break his balls trying to sort out this dogturd of a club if it's not even guaranteed that he's gonna stay into the actual season? When he came in it was solid. You're here for 8 games; give it a go and if we stay up, we'll see. He had nowt to lose then. If it's not set in stone that he's going to be Newcastle United manager, he'd even be better off spending his time looking for other work.

i wonder if shearer has been scouting, building up lists of targets, consulting contacts inside and out the club, sounding out clubs about players etc. if not, that's yet another area in which we'll be a month or two behind everyone else.

i wonder if shearer has been scouting, building up lists of targets, consulting contacts inside and out the club, sounding out clubs about players etc. if not, that's yet another area in which we'll be a month or two behind everyone else.

Tbf, he wants shot if he hasn't been. I've no doubt he'll have a list.

Tbf, he wants shot if he hasn't been. I've no doubt he'll have a list.

i'll think he has an outline of players he would like, but i doubt there's any depth gone into it, he won't have told scouts to attend the under-21 tournament and watch specific players as, being unconnected to the club, he doesn't have the authority to do that. likewise for making enquiries or jetting about on official business.