The Lack Of 'Class' In The So-Called Top Four

Tooj

Was thinking of this after the match today the lack of class that these teams now show is disgraceful. Chelsea today were a bunch of dirty, play acting and downright disrespectful. Which sadly is now what you come to expect when playing up against a team of this caliber.

I'm probably looking at things with slight rose-tinted spectacles of course, but when we were challenging for honours I don't remember our players diving all over the place, hassling referees, using sly fouls all of the time.

I know we had hard plays like Batty, and later on we had Bellamy as well. But overall our managers during that time period made our players play with honour and respect, something you seldom see now from the so-called top players of today.

Guest Heneage

Was thinking of this after the match today the lack of class that these teams now show is disgraceful. Chelsea today were a bunch of dirty, play acting and downright disrespectful. Which sadly is now what you come to expect when playing up against a team of this caliber.

I'm probably looking at things with slight rose-tinted spectacles of course, but when we were challenging for honours I don't remember our players diving all over the place, hassling referees, using sly fouls all of the time.

I know we had hard plays like Batty, and later on we had Bellamy as well. But overall our managers during that time period made our players play with honour and respect, something you seldom see now from the so-called top players of today.

No offense pal, but I realised this sort of behaviour the night we went to the San Siro to play Inter Milan. I lost a lot of respect for most of the XI that night in Italy, it was sad to see the likes of Sergio Conceicao rolling around on the floor after attempting to stud Bernard.

But its no surprise, I have mates who play Rugby and its harder and harder to argue with this "Footballers are babies" there's pain in football, breaks, fractures, but the way some go on is pathetic, they seem to ignore that there are 100's of camera's around with the ability to replay in a nano second. And its spot on what you say about our team I caught the 5-0 Man Utd the other day, and none of our boys rolled around, even when Cantona chucked his dirty french legs into the back of Pedro he was up and about in no time. Even further on to the likes of Robert etc they never dived or rolled around, although Robert had that shocker at Portsmouth. :lol:

I think its sad to see because its transcending into the Sunday League games, I watched my brothers team and the amount of Ronaldo boot wearing divers is sad, its just ruining the game in general. When I play with my mates if someone falls they are just helped up and a pat on the back, I think it could be the money in the game really, with so much pressure on, you dive and get that penalty you give your team the advantage, the line of game and business are not just blurred but the latter seems to have totally dominated the former.

Who was the player that had a cross coming to him, but saw that the oppositions goalkeeper had gone down badly injured and instead of scoring a vital goal (as I remember he was receiving criticism at the time) he caught the ball and insisted that play was stopped.

If anyone can let me know that'd be fantastic. One of the classiest things I've ever seen in a football match.

Who was the player that had a cross coming to him, but saw that the oppositions goalkeeper had gone down badly injured and instead of scoring a vital goal (as I remember he was receiving criticism at the time) he caught the ball and insisted that play was stopped.

If anyone can let me know that'd be fantastic. One of the classiest things I've ever seen in a football match.

Di Canio against us, about 8 years ago.

Legendary act.

Di Canio.

Legendary act.

wasnt against us.

unless your 'us' isnt nufc.

Legendary act.

wasnt against us.

unless your 'us' isnt nufc.

Everton.

I ought to change my avatar really.

Gutierrez tumbles to the ground under most challenges, tbf.

True, but he doesnt dive like someone like Lampard does. He milks the foul a wee bit but he's not that bad really....

But well said Tooj. They were disgraceful yesterday, Lampard and Ashley Cole in particular. Its such a shame that with the quality of players they have they still resort to cheating....its very sad, imo.

The last player we had that was a bit of a play-actor was Emre. He was a bit dirty and short tempered but yet, he wasn't as bad as some of these top 4 players. OK, we may not have won things like the top 4 sides in our time up there, but at least we battled and played with dignity. Another factor for our lack of cheating and pussyness imo is due to the fact that we've always had a strong core of British and English players.

The main culprits:

Chelsea- Lampard, A.Cole, J.Cole, Malouda, Ballack and worst of all, Drogba.

Arsenal- Sagna, Almunia, Van Pirsie and Eboue (being the worst).

Liverpool- Gerrard, Mascherano, Arbeloa. Gerrard the worst.

Man Utd- Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson.

Did I miss out anyone?

You can say the same about Don Revie's 'Dirty' Leeds - the mentality for a fair number of teams at the top is win and win by any means necessary. That's football. 

But weren't they more famous for kicking the shite out of the opposition? The modern day cheating mentality is to dive and to make dirty tackles.

Guest firetotheworks

Rose tinted glasses a bit. Glass houses a bit too.

Shearer wavered the tough but fair line and did some bad things in his time.

Robert could be a girl at times.

I think were forgetting Ginola. I loved the bloke, but staying on his feet wasn't one of his strong points.

Bellamy.

Obviously the whole Dyer, Bowyer fight. Although we werent in the top four at the time.

Rose tinted glasses a bit. Glass houses a bit too.

Shearer wavered the tough but fair line and did some bad things in his time.

Robert could be a girl at times.

I think were forgetting Ginola. I loved the bloke, but staying on his feet wasn't one of his strong points.

Bellamy.

Obviously the whole Dyer, Bowyer fight. Although we werent in the top four at the time.

Yes, Shearer's elbows did get a wild at times but I've seen worse. He was just tough...

Robert was a bit soft at times but overall he wasn't that bad, imo.

Ginola? Well, yeah...

Bellamy was just a mouthy little prick, he wasn't a diver.

No offense pal, but I realised this sort of behaviour the night we went to the San Siro to play Inter Milan. I lost a lot of respect for most of the XI that night in Italy, it was sad to see the likes of Sergio Conceicao rolling around on the floor after attempting to stud Bernard.

But its no surprise, I have mates who play Rugby and its harder and harder to argue with this "Footballers are babies" there's pain in football, breaks, fractures, but the way some go on is pathetic, they seem to ignore that there are 100's of camera's around with the ability to replay in a nano second. And its spot on what you say about our team I caught the 5-0 Man Utd the other day, and none of our boys rolled around, even when Cantona chucked his dirty french legs into the back of Pedro he was up and about in no time. Even further on to the likes of Robert etc they never dived or rolled around, although Robert had that shocker at Portsmouth. :lol:

I think its sad to see because its transcending into the Sunday League games, I watched my brothers team and the amount of Ronaldo boot wearing divers is sad, its just ruining the game in general. When I play with my mates if someone falls they are just helped up and a pat on the back, I think it could be the money in the game really, with so much pressure on, you dive and get that penalty you give your team the advantage, the line of game and business are not just blurred but the latter seems to have totally dominated the former.

I never said I hadn't realised it then, it's been going on for years.

Guest Heneage

I never said I hadn't realised it then, it's been going on for years.

Aye I know I was just saying that's all.

Messi, everyone should act like him. Hardly ever see him houdning the ref shouting swearing diving (not very often). Compare that to ronaldo lampard gerrard etc, bunch of cunts.

Gutierrez tumbles to the ground under most challenges, tbf.

Yep. Duff is a horrendous cheat too.

Oba cheats quite a bit. Nolan has committed the worst tackle of any player in the Premiership this season. Guthrie has randomly broken someone's leg. We employ Joey Barton ffs. AND SUDDENLY I CAN ONLY TYPE IN CAPITALS WHAT THE HELL? ITS LIKE SHIFT IS STUCK DOWN  CANT EVEN PUT A PERIOD AT THE END OF A SENTENCE>

ANYWAY<  SOME FOLKS MUST NOT WATCH OUR PLAYERS THEY"RE JUST AS BAD>

wheres the youtube video where it highlights the rugby world cup final vs football world cup final, think from about 3 years ago.

Football is a game for fannies now, barely get touched and you know you'll win a free kick.