"The" Must Win Game

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest LucaAltieri

Every game for the last 3 months has promised to be the big one that turns around our season. It simply isn't going to happen.

Right now I'll be happy with battling performances and fluking points where possible.

Every game for the last 3 months has promised to be the big one that turns around our season. It simply isn't going to happen.

Right now I'll be happy with battling performances and fluking points where possible.

Bang on.

People dont seem to realise if we loose today its more or less over. Sunderland Stoke and Pomp all getting three points yesterday and even Boro got 1 point. We need three today!!!! Come on!

Wrong.

You cant state wrong, its his opinion which isnt all that ridiculous to be honest.

Has anyone considered that results before the "must win game" for both teams whatever that is, will have a big effect on the outcome of that game.

Seems like so many are scared of losing that they want to put themselves in some kind of happy little comfort zone where they can say "oh we dont HAVE to win"...just so if it all goes tits up they wont feel to disasterous about it.

No, mathematically we dont HAVE to win.

Will a crap result & dropping further behind other sides outside the relegation zone have a negative effect on a side that falls apart without confidence?

Does this effect make it more likely that we'll play even worse against the sides we have following that game, on previous showings this season.....yes it does.

Does that mean any game we have from now on is "not that bad if we lose" ?????

Agree with this. a loss today would be massively damaging, while a win would be a tremendous boost not only to our points total but to our confidence. while it doesnt mathematically send us down i don't think we will stay up if spurs win.

No, Mowen is right. Even if we lose today, there is still 15 points we can get - 9 of them fairly achieveable at home, and another 3 on an anything-can-happen-because-teams-play-unpredictable-teams final day of the season.

It isn't over until we're mathematically down.

Things aren't going according to plan with the other teams around us at the minute.

Some people are still confident that around 38/39 points will comfortably see us safe. But the way the other teams are picking up the odd win here and there, this could be one of those seasons where 40/41 points see you relegated.

For us to be comfortable, i my opinion we need 42 points.

42 points for safety??

We're not in competition with teams that are winning every week.

Hull had two winnable games before yesterday, so only one now, home to Stoke but the way they've fallen it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't get another point from now on.

Boro have two so called winnable games left, against us and the other home to Villa. Win that and we need 4 more points.

People should look at the games some of the other strugglers have to play, I can't see Boro winning another game.  I can only see Hull winning one more game this season and the Mackems have two games left at home, 1 against Everton and the other against Chelsea.  They have some easier away games but they are against teams who will need the points as much as them.

We've got three home games that we can and probably will win.

Realistically though is the end of a season normally like the rest of the season ? Or do teams tend to pull out shocking results at this point ?

No lets just write everybody but ourselves off, because thats always brilliant.

Just like when some said "the teams below us all have shocking form, they wont go past us even if we lose to united, arsenal & chelsea".

And now we're 19th

been watching Sunday Supplement, as usual, and the cast this morning all seemed to have great sympathy and support for our predicament, as John Richardson and Neil Custis would naturally do. Custis tottered on the brink of bickering with Oliver Holt on issues concerning South Korea and Stockport County, but generally supported them in their views on Newcastle and what has happened since MIke Ashley took over.

They were saying that we need to win our 3 home games. While this is true, and remember that having won only 4 home games all season and 6 in total all season, this looks a tall order. Winning these 3 games would undoubtedly keep us up, but psychologically on a game by game basis, we can't fall too far behind or we just won't win them.

We could lose today, but whatever happens its absolutely critical we win next monday night or the game will be up and we wouldn't recover.

If we draw today and win next monday, we could get above either Hull or Blackburn on goal difference, and that could be the momentum needed to take into the last few games.

Guest Darth Toon

People should look at the games some of the other strugglers have to play, I can't see Boro winning another game.  I can only see Hull winning one more game this season and the Mackems have two games left at home, 1 against Everton and the other against Chelsea.  They have some easier away games but they are against teams who will need the points as much as them.

We've got three home games that we can and probably will win.

Exactly - even though we're 4 points from safety, looking at the form and fixtures of other teams gives me hope:

- Hull have taken 7 points from their last 15 games and still have Liverpool, Villa and Man Utd to play in their last 5

- Boro have 11 points form 15 games, and have yet to play Villa, Arsenal & Man Utd.

- The mackems need to beat WBA next week as they could easily lose their last 4

It's not inconceivable that 6 more points could keep us up (as long as 3 of them come from the smogs, which therefore for me becomes the "must win" game)

Realistically though is the end of a season normally like the rest of the season ? Or do teams tend to pull out shocking results at this point ?

Just like when some said "the teams below us all have shocking form, they wont go past us even if we lose to united, arsenal & chelsea".

And now we're 19th

Some on here are writing us off, why shouldn't some of us write off other teams who have a tougher run in?

been watching Sunday Supplement, as usual, and the cast this morning all seemed to have great sympathy and support for our predicament, as John Richardson and Neil Custis would naturally do. Custis tottered on the brink of bickering with Oliver Holt on issues concerning South Korea and Stockport County, but generally supported them in their views on Newcastle and what has happened since MIke Ashley took over.

They were saying that we need to win our 3 home games. While this is true, and remember that having won only 4 home games all season and 6 in total all season, this looks a tall order. Winning these 3 games would undoubtedly keep us up, but psychologically on a game by game basis, we can't fall too far behind or we just won't win them.

We could lose today, but whatever happens its absolutely critical we win next monday night or the game will be up and we wouldn't recover.

If we draw today and win next monday, we could get above either Hull or Blackburn on goal difference, and that could be the momentum needed to take into the last few games.

I think our record would have been a lot better if we had Shearer as manager for the whole season, that gives me hope for the last few games.  I think we'll be a different team in the games that we would normally expect to win.

I think our record would have been a lot better if we had Shearer as manager for the whole season, that gives me hope for the last few games.  I think we'll be a different team in the games that we would normally expect to win.

it would have been a lot better if he had backed Keegan and Keegan had still been here. For starters, the home game to Hull ie the first game - could be the difference between us or Hull going down.

Ashley is a stupid tosspot, and this is the result.

And now we're 19th

Some on here are writing us off, why shouldn't some of us write off other teams who have a tougher run in?

Cant write anyone off at this point, just think some are deciding things will be a definate way if we achieve certain things.

There is still a realistic run of results that could relegate us even if we get 9 points. Not talking about giant killings here, bottom half teams playing eachother.

Its not even that unlikely..

we're in a tough spot, theres not other way of looking at it. We need some luck

I think although most of your games are (as they seemingly have been for the last zillion games) must-win, IMO it is the Pompey game above all others that will be the most decisive. A win there will not only be worth 3 points but offer real belief that you can get out of the situation, and furthermore get as many points as possible from the other 2 home games. I can also see you getting something from Villa.

And now we're 19th

Cant write anyone off at this point, just think some are deciding things will be a definate way if we achieve certain things.

There is still a realistic run of results that could relegate us even if we get 9 points. Not talking about giant killings here, bottom half teams playing eachother.

Its not even that unlikely..

we're in a tough spot, theres not other way of looking at it. We need some luck

Just incase anyone wanted to be compounded with negativity, the following results would see us down even with 3 wins.

stoke draw fulham/wigan

sunlun beat westbrom

blackburn beat portsmouth

sunlun beat bolton

hull beat stoke

hull beat bolton

portsmouth beat sunlun

blackburn beat westbrom

bolton beat man city

portsmouth beat wigan

Obviously they have other games outside of that they can get points from, this is just the most likely way it could be achieved.  :undecided:

The reason we'll go down (if we do) is those 4 dropped points at home against Wigan and Stoke.

The reason you would go down would be that you have less points than everyone else. The points dropped at home to Stoke are exactly the same as any other dropped points.