"The" Must Win Game

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People should look at the games some of the other strugglers have to play, I can't see Boro winning another game.  I can only see Hull winning one more game this season and the Mackems have two games left at home, 1 against Everton and the other against Chelsea.  They have some easier away games but they are against teams who will need the points as much as them.

We've got three home games that we can and probably will win.

I admire your confidence. I also think you are barking mad.

Guest optimistic nit

Things aren't going according to plan with the other teams around us at the minute.

Some people are still confident that around 38/39 points will comfortably see us safe. But the way the other teams are picking up the odd win here and there, this could be one of those seasons where 40/41 points see you relegated.

For us to be comfortable, i my opinion we need 42 points.

thats complete shite, for us to need 42 points both blackburn and hull would need 2 wins and either 2 draws or 1 win from their final 5 games. now go and check hulls remaining fixtures and tell us where they get 4 points from, never mind 8.

The reason we'll go down (if we do) is those 4 dropped points at home against Wigan and Stoke.

its the Hull game at home, the first after Keegan left, because its now either us or them.

been watching Sunday Supplement, as usual, and the cast this morning all seemed to have great sympathy and support for our predicament, as John Richardson and Neil Custis would naturally do. Custis tottered on the brink of bickering with Oliver Holt on issues concerning South Korea and Stockport County, but generally supported them in their views on Newcastle and what has happened since MIke Ashley took over.

They were saying that we need to win our 3 home games. While this is true, and remember that having won only 4 home games all season and 6 in total all season, this looks a tall order. Winning these 3 games would undoubtedly keep us up, but psychologically on a game by game basis, we can't fall too far behind or we just won't win them.

We could lose today, but whatever happens its absolutely critical we win next monday night or the game will be up and we wouldn't recover.

If we draw today and win next monday, we could get above either Hull or Blackburn on goal difference, and that could be the momentum needed to take into the last few games.

Totally agree with the bit in bold. Pompey next week is our first "must win" game of the season.

Just for a moment imagine how you'd feel, and the momentum we'd get, from beating Portsmouth, and then imagine how you'd feel if we didn't get the 3 points. It doesn't bear thinking about!

It's a cup final and we don't have to go to Wembley to watch it.

been watching Sunday Supplement, as usual, and the cast this morning all seemed to have great sympathy and support for our predicament, as John Richardson and Neil Custis would naturally do. Custis tottered on the brink of bickering with Oliver Holt on issues concerning South Korea and Stockport County, but generally supported them in their views on Newcastle and what has happened since MIke Ashley took over.

They were saying that we need to win our 3 home games. While this is true, and remember that having won only 4 home games all season and 6 in total all season, this looks a tall order. Winning these 3 games would undoubtedly keep us up, but psychologically on a game by game basis, we can't fall too far behind or we just won't win them.

We could lose today, but whatever happens its absolutely critical we win next monday night or the game will be up and we wouldn't recover.

If we draw today and win next monday, we could get above either Hull or Blackburn on goal difference, and that could be the momentum needed to take into the last few games.

Totally agree with the bit in bold. Pompey next week is our first "must win" game of the season.

Just for a moment imagine how you'd feel, and the momentum we'd get, from beating Portsmouth, and then imagine how you'd feel if we didn't get the 3 points. It doesn't bear thinking about!

It's a cup final and we don't have to go to Wembley to watch it.

jimmymag agreeing with NE5 and seeing the light ?

A bit late in the day perhaps. Maybe not. Better late than never, although pride comes before a fall, so they say.

Our so-called must win games & survival run-in commenced in early January, when there were winnable games on our schedule ie. before we hit some of our tougher fixtures.

This coincided with an emerging injury crisis, amidst the board not sufficiently bolstering the squad with depth & with a hint of quality early in the aforementioned period. The points we dropped during the first 2-3 weeks in January have cost us, and the damage was inflicted early in the peace imo.

Whatever happens between now and then end of the season its pretty much certain that we will go into that last game at Villa needing something to guarantee safety.

I'm not at all happy about that.

Guest Brazilianbob

Whatever happens between now and then end of the season its pretty much certain that we will go into that last game at Villa needing something to guarantee safety.

I'm not at all happy about that.

In that case its nailed on that Milner will score the goal that relegates us!

i think yesterday was the must win game :(

jonas seemed to be the only one pulling his finger out, the rest didn't even look like they gave a shit.

we gave spurs too much space and time on the ball, afraid to put a tackle in.

we're now 4 points adrift, and if we keep playing like this we're down without even a fight

I've deliberatley stayed away from the football part of this forum for a while now. While I'll always watch and support Newcastle at every opportunity however bad things get, I just don't particularly like talking about it as it depresses me.

I think anything less than a win against Portsmouth and we're down. We need a maximum return from our remaining three home games, which is half of the amount of wins we've actually managed to chalk up all season. Massive, massive ask, and it pains me to say it, but I don't think we can do it.

Guest Phil K

Personally, I'm fed up with hearing the term "must win"

Give it a rest

Every time we've used it, we HAVEN'T.

Personally, I'm fed up with hearing the term "must win"

Give it a rest

Every time we've used it, we HAVEN'T.

How about "must fight for our lives and sweat blood for 90 mins?"

If they can't bloody well do it in this match they might as well be sent to the knackers yard a month earlier than planned.

Realistically though is the end of a season normally like the rest of the season ? Or do teams tend to pull out shocking results at this point ?

No lets just write everybody but ourselves off, because thats always brilliant.

Just like when some said "the teams below us all have shocking form, they wont go past us even if we lose to united, arsenal & chelsea".

And now we're 19th

Some on here are writing us off, why shouldn't some of us write off other teams who have a tougher run in?

Cant write anyone off at this point, just think some are deciding things will be a definate way if we achieve certain things.

There is still a realistic run of results that could relegate us even if we get 9 points. Not talking about giant killings here, bottom half teams playing eachother.

Its not even that unlikely..

we're in a tough spot, theres not other way of looking at it. We need some luck

There's also still a realistic run of results that could keep us up even if we only get 4 points.

Realistically though is the end of a season normally like the rest of the season ? Or do teams tend to pull out shocking results at this point ?

No lets just write everybody but ourselves off, because thats always brilliant.

Just like when some said "the teams below us all have shocking form, they wont go past us even if we lose to united, arsenal & chelsea".

And now we're 19th

Some on here are writing us off, why shouldn't some of us write off other teams who have a tougher run in?

Cant write anyone off at this point, just think some are deciding things will be a definate way if we achieve certain things.

There is still a realistic run of results that could relegate us even if we get 9 points. Not talking about giant killings here, bottom half teams playing eachother.

Its not even that unlikely..

we're in a tough spot, theres not other way of looking at it. We need some luck

There's also still a realistic run of results that could keep us up even if we only get 4 points.

dont disagree, we have to hope hull, blackburn & boro dont get anymore results. Hull & boro especially, which is very possible. But cant write them off, Hull beat fulham away not long ago... & they do have it in them to beat bolton & stoke. Will depend how up for it those two teams are as i say.

We must win our 3 remaining home games and pick up at least 1 draw away from hhome, but seeing as we have only won 4 home games all season anyway I am hot holding out much hope really.

I'm managing not to commit suicide purely based on where those three teams fall in the away league table.  All three of them are in the bottom half in away points (two of them in the bottom six).  Out of our nine opponents in the bottom 10 we've beaten three, drawn with two and lost against one (obviously with the other three still to play against Boro, Portsmouth ect).  It might be seen as clutching as straws but it does really bring home the fact that these are by far the most winnable collection of games we've had all season.

if we dont beat Pompey we are down.

It is this important, we will be playing in the championship next season if we don't win all three of those home games.

With Oba and Viduka playing we have a chance, with Carroll and Owen starting I can't see us making it.

Although I tend to believe the Boro game is way more important to us to win as they are a team we are fighting more closely with. Pompey is a must win from a mental point of view. Failing to win a game we've been banking on for so long now, will kill us mentally I think.