Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can see why Shearer took a chance on him tonight, he probably thought that he needed someone to take chances that would be laid on for him, but that never actually happened.  Against much better organized Fulham and Villa defenses though, we're going to have to have a lot more pace, skill, and heading ability, none of which Owen really has.  It's just a shame that our other 3 strikers can only do one of the above things. 

I can see why Shearer took a chance on him tonight, he probably thought that he needed someone to take chances that would be laid on for him, but that never actually happened.  Against much better organized Fulham and Villa defenses though, we're going to have to have a lot more pace, skill, and heading ability, none of which Owen really has.  It's just a shame that our other 3 strikers can only do one of the above things. 

Viduka has skill and heading ability

Martins has pace and heading ability

I can't see him scoring against Fulham but Oba is more effective coming off the bench while he's not fully fit. A Carroll/Viduka partnership might be the way to go.

No longer our top scorer in the league as of tonight, that would the striker who has played less and isn't 'half the finisher'

mate wake up, since Owen scored his last goal, both Carroll and Love have netted 3. It's embarrassing

Both Owen and Martins have scored the same amount of league goals.  :undecided:

Guest toonlass

No longer our top scorer in the league as of tonight, that would the striker who has played less and isn't 'half the finisher'

mate wake up, since Owen scored his last goal, both Carroll and Love have netted 3. It's embarrassing

What's more embarrassing is since Owen last scored Steven Taylor has scored 3 goals.

Viduka has skill and heading ability

Martins has pace and heading ability

Martins is obviously carrying an injury and can't possibly start. Owen and Viduka are still our best options to start tomorrow imo, with the pace and running of Martins and Lovenkrands a threat from off the bench. And I think Owen will score tomorrow.

Guest neesy111

What's more embarrassing is since Owen last scored Steven Taylor has scored 3 goals.

probably had more chances and looked like scoring, good finish v hull as well

i've said this, steven taylor does look our best threat when he get's forward

i still think owen's a bit over his fighting weight, which might be slowing him down a bit. if him and nolan both lost about a stone and a half each, we'd see 2 different players

I remember him saying he had to bulk up after the knee injury to compensate for losses in other areas of his game.

Main story on Skysports today is that hes NOT quitting football lol

Hadnt heard any claims he was

Judging from his last few appearances for us I thought he'd already quit football.

Guest battyleespeed

i still think owen's a bit over his fighting weight, which might be slowing him down a bit. if him and nolan both lost about a stone and a half each, we'd see 2 different players

Agree with that. He has bulked up a lot in last several years, but it's obviously down to his weight training regime rather than for lack of training. He spent the entire time of his knee injury working on his upper body muscles and might have continued that training regime ever since. I think he is trying to compensate for loss of pace but it can actually backfire a lot as putting on muscle could slow him down even more and reduce his stamina and flexibility levels. I noticed this kind of side-effects after gaining a stone through weight training and even Beckham was blaming the extra weight training he had done for his lacklustre performance in WC 06.  

I suspect if he'd stop most of the extra weight training and lose weight he'd be sharper in game situations and could still be relatively fast.  I wonder if he is doing the bulking up to "protect" himself as I can't see him to switch to a physical centre-forward game a la Viduka/Shearer no matter how much muscle he'd be able to put on.

"Any suggestion or unfounded speculation that Michael Owen has any intention of quitting football is totally untrue and wrong,'' read a statement from Wasserman Media Group.

"Michael remains as committed to his football career as he ever has been and is deeply and professionally offended that anyone should suggest otherwise.''

It continued: "Michael Owen has instructed lawyers this evening and will take action against any publication which he feels inaccurately or unfairly suggested he is quitting football and is damaging to his professional reputation.''

:lol:

Good to see Shearer speak out in Owen's defence too.

If he scores the goal that keeps us up people will be raving about him (See Viduka, M).

He's going through a poor patch. No shit.

We've got to keep the faith in my opinion.

Guest Stephen927

Steven Taylor was on SSN this morning and I agreed with him when he said Owen needs the service, and that he is valuable because he rarely loses the ball. Basically meant blame the team around him, not Owen. All players go through bad patches, I would personally stick with Owen and Viduka up front, and if the game goes the same kind of way for Owen, then bring on Martins as an impact sub.

Steven Taylor was on SSN this morning and I agreed with him when he said Owen needs the service, and that he is valuable because he rarely loses the ball. Basically meant blame the team around him, not Owen. All players go through bad patches, I would personally stick with Owen and Viduka up front, and if the game goes the same kind of way for Owen, then bring on Martins as an impact sub.

This, Owen coming on would have the same impact as hitting someone, with one of those squeaky plastic hammers

I like the idea of starting Owen and Viduka with Oba as the impact sub.

Makes sense, when you think about it.

We'll basically be playing for 60 minutes with ten men, then when we throw Oba the opposition won't know what hit them.