Danby's Performance

Crumpy Gunt

Guest toonlass

I heard the bit about the car like

i think the guy's a fucking embarassment btw and it's sad that we have to employ somelike like that to create a half-decent atmosphere which quickly became a non-atmosphere

Absolutely correct, but we do have to. :(

Correct, and that is a bigger bummer.

Guest hawayman

He did say did you come in a fucking car, I said to my cousin did he just say "fucking car" and many around us were mentioning it. Thought it was a hoot myself

I remember him mentioning them coming in a car, but don't remember him swearing - though tbf as swearing doesn't really bother me, I'd probably only notice the word 'fucking' if it was my mam or gran saying it.  bluelaugh.gif

I know it's all just a bit of banter, but it was a little harsh having a go at their fans as I doubt many people would fancy a Monday night trip to Portsmouth when it's on the TV.

The Pompey fans came in a FUCKING car apparantely. :dontknow:

You didn't get it, honestly? :lol:

Er, get it? Came in a car = not many of them? Yeah, i got it.

I didn't hear the alleged swear word, though...

I had to watch the game on setanta, at home. Unfortunately i was ill and and i gave up my ticket. TV cameras followed him through the whole performance, and i don't think he swore. He did break up his singing with the odd mumble. I struggled to pick up on what he said, and i was 3 yards from my tele, which was fairly loud. I'd be surprised if things could be heard more clearly in the ground.

Personally, i like his Blaydon races thing, but i think it should only be done v the Mackems. If the fans got behind the side in the 1st place, no-one would need to try and get an atmosphere going. Frankly, some of our lot are embarrassing, booing our own players and leaving before the end of evenly poised, crucial games.

It's not only the team that will be cleared out if we go down. It'll sort the fans out too.

I didn't hear him swear and i can't recall anyone else around me hearing him swear.

changes the dynamic for me, taking the piss out of the pompey fans is a little distasteful and crass but it's different from swearing on a mic in front of cameras and 47,000 people

How high is that climbdown? :bluestar:

Guest Howaythetoon

He's an embarrassing fat cunt and the fact the place needs this nob jockey (and scarves and flags and those fucking duck things) to stoke up some kind of atmosphere says a lot about the demise of our once fantastic support which was typically shite in what was a do or die match. If the team gave up and are not fit to wear the shirt then we're not fit to attend SJP in the name of "supporters". The whole fucking club is a joke and everything about it at the moment stinks to high heaven.

I wasn't there but from my experiences at SJP I'm relatively certain that the vast majority of the ground wouldn't have been singing if Danby hadn't got them started like that. It might have been "cringeworthy" or whatever, but it did accomplish its purpose. (Well, at least for about 45 minutes it did)

It's an unfortunate reality of out times: the vast majority of home fans are always going to be silent. And if throwing a fat, drunk opera singer out there to get them riled up is the only way to change that, I don't mind it one bit at all.

Guest toonlass

I wasn't there but from my experiences at SJP I'm relatively certain that the vast majority of the ground wouldn't have been singing if Danby hadn't got them started like that. It might have been "cringeworthy" or whatever, but it did accomplish its purpose. (Well, at least for about 45 minutes it did)

It's an unfortunate reality of out times: the vast majority of home fans are always going to be silent. And if throwing a fat, drunk opera singer out there to get them riled up is the only way to change that, I don't mind it one bit at all.

:clap:

Guest BooBoo

He's an embarrassing fat cunt and the fact the place needs this nob jockey (and scarves and flags and those fucking duck things) to stoke up some kind of atmosphere says a lot about the demise of our once fantastic support which was typically shite in what was a do or die match. If the team gave up and are not fit to wear the shirt then we're not fit to attend SJP in the name of "supporters". The whole fucking club is a joke and everything about it at the moment stinks to high heaven.

Ahh there's nowt beats coming in from work and reading a nice uplifting rabble rousing post.

Guest toonlass

Ahh there's nowt beats coming in from work and reading a nice uplifting rabble rousing post.

Well have a word with the supporters in the Lower Leazes stand, the East stand and the Lower milburn then. There are some people who are trying their damndest to get some atmosphere going but in a stadium the size of ours, 3,000 in one corner and a couple of thousand scattered around the ground (some of which are told to shut up, or to sit down if they dare to stand up for anything longer than 3 seconds after the goal) isn't going to make any difference.

Danby's showings in the past have been pretty good but I thought he was very cringeworthy this time out. Should stick to the Blaydon Races and lose the other shit. I also think this was a game not suited to his rabble-rousing - too important - I'm having a hard time expressing myself as to why but I know what I mean.

Danby's showings in the past have been pretty good but I thought he was very cringeworthy this time out. Should stick to the Blaydon Races and lose the other shit. I also think this was a game not suited to his rabble-rousing - too important - I'm having a hard time expressing myself as to why but I know what I mean.

There are some games where a lazy crowd needs a bit of a gee up, when there isn't much at stake. In games like this where supporters know that we are fighting for our lives over the next 90 mins I refuse to believe that we were going to sit twiddling our thumbs unless Danby showed up.

There are some games where a lazy crowd needs a bit of a gee up, when there isn't much at stake. In games like this where supporters know that we are fighting for our lives over the next 90 mins I refuse to believe that we were going to sit twiddling our thumbs unless Danby showed up.

For me it's more the fact that there are games for which there are genuine anticipation and excitement - the derby for example. I know the derby brings out the fear in everyone but it's still very much an occasion and Danby has suited that in the past.

The Pompey game wasn't an occasion or anything to be excited about - simply a very important game of football that we should not have been trivialising like that.

Guest Mantis

TBH, he got more out of the fans than they had shown all season and this thread doesn't surprise me, because there is little in the way of football to discuss.  Sadly, you could sing and support and raise the roof for 90 mins and this bunch will still take the piss and wander round like a bunch of children who have lost their pocket money.  It didnt come across bad on TV until the match kicked off!

My mates band are apparently lined up for the Blaydon races at the Boro game, he's not sure whether they're on before the match or half time. The band are the Longsands and the club play their version of the Blaydon races when the team comes out for the 2nd half normally, the club have been planning on releasing it in the club shops for months but still hasn't happened yet! 

Is he going to sing before the Boro game? What about the Fulham game? Wonder if Villa would mind if he sung on the last day?

Nowt against the bloke personally as it serves a purpose (to an extent) but there's only so many times you can play that card. It's in serious danger of making us look like desperate wankers (if it hasn't already).  :undecided:

Is he going to sing before the Boro game? What about the Fulham game? Wonder if Villa would mind if he sung on the last day?

Nowt against the bloke personally as it serves a purpose (to an extent) but there's only so many times you can play that card. It's in serious danger of making us look like desperate wankers (if it hasn't already).  :undecided:

He's already booked for the two home games.

Guest toonlass

Grand if its true. But to be honest its going to take a lot of effort on the part of 47,000 who couldn't give a shit week in week out.

TBH, he got more out of the fans than they had shown all season and this thread doesn't surprise me, because there is little in the way of football to discuss.  Sadly, you could sing and support and raise the roof for 90 mins and this bunch will still take the piss and wander round like a bunch of children who have lost their pocket money.  It didnt come across bad on TV until the match kicked off!

It really did. The non-Mags in the office have been taking the piss big time.