SBR Feels Sorry For Ashley

Love SBR but like he has never signed any shit over the years when he was boss, a few good points the most importantly Ashley not having the correct people around to run the club for him being the most important.

He called the Nolan and Ryan Taylor signings a mistake while people here will still trying to justify them and that was before he saw them play their first match. Whatever else you can accuse him of, it's not hindsight.

He called the Nolan and Ryan Taylor signings a mistake while people here will still trying to justify them and that was before he saw them play their first match. Whatever else you can accuse him of, it's not hindsight.

You were all over Nolan, remember something like "Kaka with a bit more pace" or something like that...

You were all over Nolan, remember something like "Kaka with a bit more pace" or something like that...

"He's like Kaka with an edge of steel" was the phrase IIRC.  :smug:

One of the things I do like about Sir Bobby's comments since he has left the club is that very thing - he does name names, he does not pull punches and he speaks his mind. Way too many  'football people' pussyfoot around and close ranks to back up their fellow professionals when very often they are indefensible.

I agree with a few things he says and I disagree with a few but I'm refreshed to read an actual opinion rather than some fence-sitting crap I usual read from players and managers in the press.

:thup:

seconded

as usual SBR is spot on with the majority of what he says

Hes completely right.

Dont agree with feeling sorry for Ashley though, i fee; sorry for us that this guy who "doesnt know much about football" decided to take on the task of owning Newcastle.

You dont just go buy a business you've no understanding of, hire people you dont know much about.....or whether they're any use....and just hope it all goes well.

Completely moronic.

Its his fault at this point. for hiring that shit.

Guest firetotheworks

I love the bloke, but I personally think most of his opinions in that are bollocks. Don't blame Ashley because he didn't interfere? Why not blame him for employing the wrong people then? Or being naive? You cant have one and not the other.

That Colo line is laughable too, as if he wouldnt be picked ahead of OBrian, Dabizas, Bramble et al.

I'm pretty sure he acknowledges both of those points in that article.

He makes several pertinent arguments, obviously the Colo line is throwaway hyperbole but otherwise it's hard to argue with a lot of it.

Yeah, he acknowledges both points, but says not to blame him. It doesnt make any sense.

in the realisation i'm about to ruin a thread isn't this basically just the same as saying don't blame shepherd & that board for appointing souness then roeder?

they put their faith in and backed their men as having the expertise to do the job, which they failed at spectacularly

this is what i've never got about NE5's chelp - slating ashley til the cows come for bad decisions but slating the previous regime for them isn't good juju?  fuck that, ashley appointed his men and they failed same as FS appointed his men and they failed

SBR is right what he says but the blame is with ashley, has to be

In clearing the debt and investing in the youth set up, Ashley has concentrated on the long-term at the expense of the short term. Ironically, the reserves and the youth team have never been in a better state than they are now. I wouldn't call that a mistake in itself, but it was a major error to appoint Keegan if that was the strategy. Apart from the fact that his morale and motivation is very up and down, he's a manager with a reputation for concentrating on the first team and and the short-term. The eventual, inevitable collision and its consequences has completely wrecked this season.

Let's not delude ourselves that Shepherd's strategy was working either. Despite the money being pumped in, the first team was still struggling and we were just driving ourselves deeper into debt. That's why the Halls baled out.

If we do go down, I would hate to see Shepherd returning, as the article suggests is a possibility. Ashley is bound to suffer a lot of pressure to go, but he will have collected some vital experience and can turn things round again. Change for change's sake would be madness.

Every thing Sir bobby said is correct 100% Saying Shearer is the only person worth my seat since I left sum it all. If you are a Newcastle fan and don't understand this line go to the wall and hit your head hard. We we hire 5 wrong and incompetence people and we end close to relgating to the cocacola.

I understand it. I just don't agree with it.

Duff is certainly a match winner - if the game being played was winning JFK's heart (no pun intended).

Sir Bobby talks sense overall, and Ashley really should be listening to advice from someone like him, but he still shows that hint of poor judgement on certain players, like when he sold Nobby for cheap and replaced him with Darren Ambrose.

Guest firetotheworks

In clearing the debt and investing in the youth set up, Ashley has concentrated on the long-term at the expense of the short term. Ironically, the reserves and the youth team have never been in a better state than they are now. I wouldn't call that a mistake in itself, but it was a major error to appoint Keegan if that was the strategy. Apart from the fact that his morale and motivation is very up and down, he's a manager with a reputation for concentrating on the first team and and the short-term. The eventual, inevitable collision and its consequences has completely wrecked this season.

Let's not delude ourselves that Shepherd's strategy was working either. Despite the money being pumped in, the first team was still struggling and we were just driving ourselves deeper into debt. That's why the Halls baled out.

If we do go down, I would hate to see Shepherd returning, as the article suggests is a possibility. Ashley is bound to suffer a lot of pressure to go, but he will have collected some vital experience and can turn things round again. Change for change's sake would be madness.

Thats the moral that we all should have taken from this whole sorry episode, yet Im sure that it'll be what people are crying out for come the end of the season. The 'anyone but Ashley' outlook. Lets get Ridsdale!

Agree with everything that is written here couldn't  have put it better.

Come on, dont delude yourselves.

Falling out with Keegan is not what has single handedly destroyed our season.

Our season has been destroyed by a whole lot of decisions from Ashley, the Keegan nonsense just got the ball rolling.

That Colo line is laughable too, as if he wouldnt be picked ahead of OBrian, Dabizas, Bramble et al.

<b>what i have seen of colo this year, he is no better than OBrian, Dabizas, Bramble</b>

Your right he's worse.

Talk about looking at the past with rose tinted glasses :mackems:

As I said rose tinted glasses, Bramble cost us so many more goals then Coloccini its not even comparable.  Fluffing clearances, passing the ball straight to the striker, falling over at exactly the wrong time, Bramble made an art form out of fucking up. Coloccini's had a bad season but he's got a long way to go before he comes close to matching Brambles calamities at this club.

Can't believe Bobby called N'Zogbia one of our best players as well? :dowie:

As I said rose tinted glasses, Bramble cost us so many more goals then Coloccini its not even comparable.  Fluffing clearances, passing the ball straight to the striker, falling over at exactly the wrong time, Bramble made an art form out of fucking up.

Anyway to the topic at hand, I love Bobby but he does talk shit on occasion.  You're sig for instance Big Tron, N'Zogbia one of our best players? :dowie:

Yes he was IMO. Probably one of the reasons we got good money for him.

Based on what?  His 1 goal or his 1 assist?

stuff the stats............just use his general overall performances (which it has to siad would fit in well with what we are now producing)

Based on the fact he wasn't over the hill, washed up, unfit or past it. Based on he could dribble, cross, shoot, defend, score goals. Based on the fact he could get from Point A to Point B quickly and without needing a wheelchair.

Other than that your stats are probably very relevant.

Based on the fact he wasn't over the hill, washed up, unfit or past it. Based on he could dribble, cross, shoot, defend, score goals. Based on the fact he could get from Point A to Point B quickly and without needing a wheelchair.

he could.....but rarely did.

He was physically fit but mentally unfit, he rarely put the effort in to run at the opposition and didn't produce good crosses or shots.  He didn't shine above any of the rest of the wasters in our side (unlike Enrique, Given, Bassong or Jonas have at times this season) so I just can't see how he can be referred to as one of our two best players..

he could.....but rarely did.

Well at least we have plenty of players with "nous" and commitment to put things right since his departure.