Mark Viduka

lovejoy

Like i say, i'll concede that - if we don't have £20m to blow in the summer then we should probably not go looking for a goalkeeper. If we've got a bit to spend though, and we pin our hopes on Steve Harper, i personally reckon we'll end up regretting it.

Even if we do have 20 million to blow the GK situation is not a priority. 20 Million will barely scratch the surface of what we need, this team needs a HUGE makeover, not some cherry on the top type investment we seemed to try last summer. Personally I think a gross spend of around 50 million is the bare minimum we need in order to just get us back into the also rans league. Unfortunately these sorts of numbers are not in Ashley's thinking, and that's why it's more than likely that we'll be in for another fight for our lives next season, should we survive. Of course if we don't all this talk is up in the air and

Krul is our future and I believe will make an excellent long term GK solution, putting in someone else would be counter productive to his development and Harper is more than capable of holding down the post until Krul is ready, which I think may even happen some time next season. There's a lot of hope for Forster too apparently.

We need to buy a midfield before we even start to look at keepers.

We cannot go another season with any combination of Butt/Duff/Smith/Barton/Nolan as first choice midfielders.

If Shearer can get Viduka fit and interested and keep him that way then he'll be worth another season.

If there's one position I'd want to strengthen it's centre back. Bassong has done well, but Colo doesn't look suited to the physicality of the Premiership and Taylor just looks that bit too clumsy to be relied on.

CB is the most important position on the pitch. If you're weak there, you'll always struggle.

shearer has already said he thinks the squad is "very much unbalenced"..... i guess he's referring to the total lack of cover in some places, which have impacted other positions like on monday

if we had a back up left back, duff wouldnt of played left back, and would of played on the wing, meaning guithre would of played in CM, that said it didnt matter on monday because they all played fine, duff did a great job against downing, and guithre ran himself into the ground, but on another day against a better team, maybe we would be exploited

sheare will look to strenghten the gaps first i reckon, CB and an creative midfielder is the next prority and a striker providing the duke and owen leave

If there's one position I'd want to strengthen it's centre back. Bassong has done well, but Colo doesn't look suited to the physicality of the Premiership and Taylor just looks that bit too clumsy to be relied on.

CB is the most important position on the pitch. If you're weak there, you'll always struggle.

o'brien,dabizas,bramble.

we have so much to do,at least 3 midfielders and a 2 forwards before even thinking about a centre half.

o'brien,dabizas,bramble.

we have so much to do,at least 3 midfielders and a 2 forwards before even thinking about a centre half.

Not to mention a left back which should be a priority.

o'brien,dabizas,bramble.

Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, but I'd stand by the idea that CB is the most important position. You can dominate the opposition all you want, but if you then concede a soft goal, it deflates everyone. Similarly, if you're playing badly but keeping it at 0-0, you're always in with a chance. That applies at all levels of football. A good centre back breeds confidence throughout the side.

In all my time as a supporter, IMO we've only had one really top class centre back, and that was Woodgate. There are many reasons why we haven't won anything in 40 years, but I often think that's one of them.

Centre mid is the most important position for me. We're one centre back away from a potentially excellent defense, but we're 4 midfielders away from a decent middle. I think we've got the worst midfield in the prem, which is pretty impressive given that Blackburn have played Andrews and the Axe together this season.

A genuine right sided player has been a necessity all season. Since Geremi "retired" we have tried all sorts there, from left wingers to Guthrie and Ryan Taylor.

Guest optimistic nit

o'brien,dabizas,bramble.

Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, but I'd stand by the idea that CB is the most important position. You can dominate the opposition all you want, but if you then concede a soft goal, it deflates everyone. Similarly, if you're playing badly but keeping it at 0-0, you're always in with a chance. That applies at all levels of football. A good centre back breeds confidence throughout the side.

In all my time as a supporter, IMO we've only had one really top class centre back, and that was Woodgate. There are many reasons why we haven't won anything in 40 years, but I often think that's one of them.

tbh i think thats complete bullshit. monday night was one of the worst defensive displays i've seen from us all season, all 4 of them were shocking at times, but we won the game 3-1, because we finally found out how to score goals.

I've always said that our defensive performances are due to our lack of ability to defend as a team, as apposed to the ability of our defenders.

Spot on. We've had worse defenders than we have now and done miles better.

Well, that and the fact that we simply cannot keep hold of the ball once we get it. Your mate doesn't help. ;)

I've always said that our defensive performances are due to our lack of ability to defend as a team, as apposed to the ability of our defenders.

Yep, I'd say it's more our midfield than anything, you watch other teams and rarely see 4 attackers breaking on the back 4 with no midfield support, we see this 3/4/5 times a game, the midfield does not have the energy levels to do this and they give the ball away far too often.  Everytime we win the ball punting it up for their defenders to win does not help. 

But of course professional football pundits can't see this despite watching more football than any of us, are they just mentally retarded?

Spot on. We've had worse defenders than we have now and done miles better.

Well, that and the fact that we simply cannot keep hold of the ball once we get it. Your mate doesn't help. ;)

More reason to get him further up the pitch! ;)

Players like Butt etc have let us down in the middle of the park, through lack of awareness and ability to keep hold of the ball.

That's why i suggested Murphy, who isn't a spring chicken but has been playing brilliantly in that position and rarely gives the ball away.

More over, that's why Guthrie has been a breath of fresh air.

o'brien,dabizas,bramble.

tbh i think thats complete bullshit. monday night was one of the worst defensive displays i've seen from us all season, all 4 of them were shocking at times, but we won the game 3-1, because we finally found out how to score goals.

I'd say we won because we were up against a makeshift side who have struggled to score all season even when at full strength.

You can't draw overall conclusions on one match anyway, but at the top level, football is a game where not that many goals are scored. If you can stop giving away cheap ones, you're giving yourself a big advantage.

had we scored an extra 3 goals during Shearer's reign, we'd have another 5 points. Scoring goals against well organised defences has been a problem all season.

But I agree, another defender should be a priority in the summer, given the fact we only have 1 CB I have genuine faith in.

Guest neesy111

had we scored an extra 3 goals during Shearer's reign, we'd have another 5 points. Scoring goals against well organised defences has been a problem all season.

But I agree, another defender should be a priority in the summer, given the fact we only have 1 CB I have genuine faith in.

totally agree, another LB must be a certainty as well

but we need a new midfield, i will bet on 2 wingers being signed up who can cross the ball and take set pieces

On reflection I think people are getting a little carried away with Monday night.

We played pretty well and it was a vital win but let's not forget that most people were happy to see Viduka leave before that game. Fat useless waster on far too much money was the general opinion. One good match and we need to give him a new contract? Same goes for Lovenkrands btw.

If we can somehow convince him to accept a pay as you play deal then fine, but I can't see that happening. In which case we need to move on.

Lovenkrands is probably worth a year or two as a squad player but let's not pretend he's set the world alight here because he hasn't.

I don't think Newcastle United is as big as we used to be to attract better players...So we are not the WORLD either anymore...

Guest Heneage

On reflection I think people are getting a little carried away with Monday night.

We played pretty well and it was a vital win but let's not forget that most people were happy to see Viduka leave before that game. Fat useless waster on far too much money was the general opinion. One good match and we need to give him a new contract? Same goes for Lovenkrands btw.

If we can somehow convince him to accept a pay as you play deal then fine, but I can't see that happening. In which case we need to move on.

Lovenkrands is probably worth a year or two as a squad player but let's not pretend he's set the world alight here because he hasn't.

I don't think Newcastle United is as big as we used to be to attract better players...So we are not the WORLD either anymore...

The thing is with Viduka. He only works if you play up to him, into his feet. He showed on Monday what a player he can be when played to his strengths, his link up play is good too. Lovenkrands is clearly an impact sub, I see your point dave that it's just one game. But I still feel like they will be helpful squad additions.

If we stay up & al stays on, the class of players we could get in will go up simply from Al being here. Many will like the idea of playing under him, he pushes our clubs status up by himself. So if we're ever going to get new lads in to sort out this team it should be in this next transfer window.

When were we the world like? :dowie:

Guest Howaythetoon

We need mobility, width, creativity, defensive steel and a goal threat from midfield - basically an entire new midfield. That's where I'd be spending my money first, although in truth we need a whole new team to be honest as we do need a CB and two strikers if you ask me because none of them up front for us are reliable.

• 1 month later...

7 goals in 2 years

Story of Viduka's career, a terrible, terrible waste. You could argue that Viduka has more natural ability than Didier Drogba, yet he never had the bollocks or the motivation that players like Drogba have to become a truly world-class footballer. Shame for us but moreso for him