Mark Viduka

lovejoy

And imagine Viduka being on a 'pay as you play' deal while Shola is on a three year contract! ???

Shola hasn't been anywhere near the team since the Stoke game. Shearer obviously doesn't rate him (assuming he's not injured as usual) so I'm sure he'll be trying to sell him in the summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/7935386.stm

Saha, who arrived on Merseyside on a pay-as-you-play contract for a nominal fee in the close-season

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sahas-payasyouplay-deal-a-credit-to-everton-986876.html

Saha's pay-as-you-play deal a credit to Everton

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/03/premierleague-everton

That [injury] history allowed David Moyes to sign the 30-year-old Saha, initially on a pay-as-you-play basis in August, a deal the Everton manager insists represented little, or no, risk.

I wonder what he would think of being a player coach?  He was class yesterday and if he would be willing and could teach it would be nice if Xisco, Carroll and shola could learn a bit from him.  Under those conditions I'd be happy to bring him back.  He's just too unreliable to ever depend on though.

I remember last year someone posted a photoshop of Viduka turning with the ball at his feet whilst holding a pint with a cigarette dangling from his lips.  One of my favorite shots of all time, I hope someone still has it and can post it!   :smitten:

Is there any history anywhere of players taking a 'pay as you play' deal?

I don't think so, that's why I'm amazed when people suggest it.

A footballer's career is short, and there's no incentive whatsoever to sign on those kind of terms... unless there is no other club anywhere in the world that would take you.

Also, think of the effect on a players morale. In effect you're saying, 'Mark, we think you're a fat, useless bastard who is of very little value to the club, but if you do manage to play superbly and score us some vital goals then we'll go as far as to pay you some wages'.

It'll never work.

Obviously he'll get a basic wage too. His basic now is probably around £60k. Just make £40k of it as incentives. Pay him £20k/week, and if he scores and we win, he gets himself another £50k. If we win and he plays more than 45 minutes, he gets £30k etc. etc.

It probably won't work but it's worth trying. Viduka isn't the sort to agree to a pay as you play deal, he's a different sort altogether to Saha. I'm just pleased we got a glimpse of the difference a quality striker can make to a team. Might be a while before we see it again sadly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/7935386.stm

Saha, who arrived on Merseyside on a pay-as-you-play contract for a nominal fee in the close-season

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sahas-payasyouplay-deal-a-credit-to-everton-986876.html

Saha's pay-as-you-play deal a credit to Everton

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/03/premierleague-everton

That [injury] history allowed David Moyes to sign the 30-year-old Saha, initially on a pay-as-you-play basis in August, a deal the Everton manager insists represented little, or no, risk.

The exception that proves the rule? Saha must not have been paid much this season!

Is there any history anywhere of players taking a 'pay as you play' deal? It's the only contract I'd offer Viduka no matter how good he can be on his day.

I think most teams in germany use pay as you play deals. That's one of the reasons they can sell tickets so cheap.

Is there any history anywhere of players taking a 'pay as you play' deal? It's the only contract I'd offer Viduka no matter how good he can be on his day.

Guiseppe Signori at Bologna was initially on a pay-as-you-play contract as I remember, he'd suffered from a few injuries and other Serie A didn't want to take the risk on him.  He got a basic wage plus a huge appearance and scoring bonus.

And imagine Viduka being on a 'pay as you play' deal while Shola is on a three year contract! ???

Shola hasn't been anywhere near the team since the Stoke game. Shearer obviously doesn't rate him (assuming he's not injured as usual) so I'm sure he'll be trying to sell him in the summer.

I hope so.

Beyond just Shola though, there are a few players on long contracts that would make Duke less than enthusiastic about not being on one himself.

I remember last year someone posted a photoshop of Viduka turning with the ball at his feet whilst holding a pint with a cigarette dangling from his lips.  One of my favorite shots of all time, I hope someone still has it and can post it!   :smitten:

i've not seen that, but i did make this...

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3189/greggsviduka.jpg

It's been amazing to watch the evolution of sentiment towards Viduka - loathed universally while out, potential saviour as he came back (and while Owen, Martins, Lovenkrands and Ameobi spluttered) and now feted when he turns in a fantastic performance :lol:

Truth is he really deserves the plaudits after his performance last night - has there been a better individual effort in this whole dismal season?

We can thank him for the three points today, as well as the three against Spuds when he put Duff through - those six points could be the ones that keep us up in the final analysis...

I think the commentators said he had played 9 of 36 matches this season, which is simply not good enough. But I reckon it's fair to say that he's still managed to contribute more to this season that just about anyone else.

It's been amazing to watch the evolution of sentiment towards Viduka - loathed universally while out, potential saviour as he came back (and while Owen, Martins, Lovenkrands and Ameobi spluttered) and now feted when he turns in a fantastic performance :lol:

Truth is he really deserves the plaudits after his performance last night - has there been a better individual effort in this whole dismal season?

We can thank him for the three points today, as well as the three against Spuds when he put Duff through - those six points could be the ones that keep us up in the final analysis...

I think the commentators said he had played 9 of 36 matches this season, which is simply not good enough. But I reckon it's fair to say that he's still managed to contribute more to this season that just about anyone else.

I think I'm like everyone else here, if I thought we could get even half a season out of him I'd give him a contract quicker than Nolan sinks a pint. We are not going to replace him with anyone close to his quality. Unfortunately he just doesn't play enough games and hasn't done for three years now.

Guest neesy111

pay as you play deal defo's

shearer know's how good of a player he is, hence why he is our number 1 striker at the moment

shearer will get the best out him no doubt

But I reckon it's fair to say that he's still managed to contribute more to this season that just about anyone else.

Talk about hype!

Are you basing that statement on Achievement divided by number of games played?

No, it's more of an indictment on the rest of the squad - in that someone who has played 25% of matches available can influence our season more than those who play most weeks.

I don't think it's such an outrageous statement - but if you do, then have a look at my avatar, and put it down to bias ;)

Guest Stephen927

God knows what Kinnear and co let him get upto, but under Shearer he appears to have pulled his socks up. Could just be because it's contract renewal time like.

Would have been worth every penny in wages if he keeps contributing performances like that, he's the difference between us and the other relegation fodder.

Ran his heart out and looked class for the full 85 minutes, just hope he can play a similar length in the final two games of the season. You can tell Shearer's told him he's playing for an extended contract