Aston Villa v Newcastle - 24/05/09 - Pre-match thread

Godot

I'm on my phone on the way home at the moment hence the bitty replies, but did I just see you question people's logic about what could have happened because it's wishful thinking and in the same post say on another day Martins would have scored? I smell contradiction again.

You continue to ignore the fact we lost the game and didn't actually score a goal. How much worse could it have been if Lovenkrands had started? That's my point, which you've ignored about two or three times now. Just because Martins had 2 good chances, the selection was right?? I can't agree with that in a game we were at home for and maybe needed to have won.

The fact that we lost & missed chances doesnt justify the idea that that wasnt our best starting line up though.

Maybe sometimes that is just us at our best & if we dont get the luck it isnt good enough. This season it clearly isnt.

Theres no reason to believe us losing means its likely that we would have done better with a different player. 9/10 we wouldnt at this point.

I'm on my phone on the way home at the moment hence the bitty replies, but did I just see you question people's logic about what could have happened because it's wishful thinking and in the same post say on another day Martins would have scored? I smell contradiction again.

But there is reason to believe that martins would have scored on another day, given that he came inches away from scoring.

As i said, there isnt much reason to believe that playing lovenkrands would have turned us into world beaters & given them more chances which he or others would have taken - compared to what we got playing Martins.

Guest firetotheworks

Anyone else think that we will go down with no goals in a shocking display?

I have a feeling this sunday will be entirely uneventful.

Its impossible that it'll be uneventful Shirley.

Guest Micktoon

This.

I just dont like the fact that we probably will face Carew (maybe Heskey? or is he injured?) without Bassong and Beye.

Coloccini and Taylor against Carew is just, sad.

If they play smart and concentrate on wining the second ball instead of the first they should be ok. If they go shoulder to shoulder to Carew they'll both get anihilated

:sadnod:

It wouldn't amaze me if the others do their bit for us as well.

This.

They may be a bunch of talentless wasters, but I really believe we'll see something from them on Sunday.

They can't and won't just lie down and give out the same shit, Shearer wouldn't let them, not on the last game.

In terms of effort there's been an obvious improvement under Shearer. It's an easy thing to say, but it's absolutely true. And we've certainly looked more assured in defending as a team

The problem is, effort doesn't get goals and never will

Mark Lawrenson has us losing 2 - 0 and being relegated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8048360.stm

Having read the comments from other club's fans here (I know I shouldn't but couldn't help myself) I hope we stay up even more: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2009/05/it_was_once_claimed_the.html

Bunch of twats say we deserve to go down because: -

We sacked Allardyce

Other club's fans don't like Shearer

We are full of ourselves and see ourselves as a big club

etc.

Very wise words from Bob Moncur. Sums up my feelings 100%

“The mood in the city is nail-biting. Everyone was devastated by the home defeat to Fulham. I could tell in people’s voices that they were thinking, ‘I can’t believe this is happening.’

“I’ve seen it before, but there’s a generation who haven’t. I know what happens. No one is going to die. They might want to hang themselves, but after a couple of weeks they’ll look to next season.”

We'll be fine. Keep believing. :)

Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 has eerie lyrics when thinking of the upcoming Sunday.

strange as i thought the song was about walking away from a pointless  fight.

You need to take the original meaning out of the song, and put the context of our relegation battle as the meaning. Called imagination :pow:

Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 has eerie lyrics when thinking of the upcoming Sunday.

You need to take the original meaning out of the song, and put the context of our relegation battle as the meaning. Called imagination :pow:

wouldn't i need to change all the words bar the chorus to do that ?

What's the betting that SKY will kick off the programme with a movie compilation to that song?

Only this verse doesn't fit, so no.

And its true we are immune

When fact is fiction and tv reality

And today the millions cry

We eat and drink while tomorrow they die

did you forget.....

Broken bottles under childrens feet

Bodies strewn across the dead end street

But I wont heed the battle call

It puts my back up

Puts my back up against the wall

and

And the battles just begun

Theres many lost, but tell me who has won

The trench is dug within our hearts

And mothers, children, brothers, sisters torn apart

did you forget.....

It puts my back up

and

Nope, you just move the setting of the song.

And the battles just begun (either as starting anew in the Championship, or in relation to rebuilding after staying up.)

Theres many lost, but tell me who has won (If we go down for instance.)

The trench is dug within our hearts (If we go down)

And mothers, children, brothers, sisters torn apart (In sadness of relegation)

And that's just scratching the surface. If done in a video compilation of crying fans/players realizing defeat walking around on the pitch with the fans in the background, it'd be a great fit. It'd also work as a come-back video thing, with sadness first from going down, and then go for the fightback emotions. If you'd want to use songs for stuff, you need to take them out of their original context and put them in a new context which works just as well. You couldn't have music in films/tv shows if you could only use them in places where their original context was met.

did you forget.....

It puts my back up

and

Nope, you just move the setting of the song.

And the battles just begun (either as starting anew in the Championship, or in relation to rebuilding after staying up.)

Theres many lost, but tell me who has won (If we go down for instance.)

The trench is dug within our hearts (If we go down)

And mothers, children, brothers, sisters torn apart (In sadness of relegation)

And that's just scratching the surface. If done in a video compilation of crying fans/players realizing defeat walking around on the pitch with the fans in the background, it'd be a great fit. It'd also work as a come-back video thing, with sadness first from going down, and then go for the fightback emotions. If you'd want to use songs for stuff, you need to take them out of their original context and put them in a new context which works just as well. You couldn't have music in films/tv shows if you could only use them in places where their original context was met.

i can't see it that way.

2nd line as you quoted "but tell me who has won" only means one thing.

more interested in your twist on the first verse i quoted.

Just want to be over now, just feel drained.  Had a shit day at work and usually I'd be looking forward to an away match even if we're unlikely get a result because it's a weekend away with the lads getting pissed with a load of other lads who are willing to sing any song I decide to belt out but my nerves are just fucking frayed.  I've had dreams/nightmares about the game every night this week (depending on if we're winning or losing in them) and the last dream I had there were tattered old Canadian flags all over Birmingham because Villa had just played Canada in Europe the night before.