Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How is he not being selected for the national team?

Haven't checked the Argie squads since Maradona left, but I hope to dear god Demichelis isn't getting in front of him.

Suits me that he's not getting called up and noticed and potential injury....but he should be getting in the squad based on his performances. I don't think Argentina are that strong in central defence or even right back where Colo usually played before.

The last squad against Portugal had Garay (who never gets a game for Real),Burdisso (who I don't rate that highly) and 2 Spartak Moscow players.

Demechelis was in the squad prior to that in November along with Heinze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina_national_football_team#Current_squad

Woodgate was God-like on the pitch, the best I've ever seen. but pound for pound Coloccini is a better defender because you just can't underestimate the value of being consistently available and professional in a centre half.

Personally, I think he's already surpassed Woody. Not only does he have a better injury record but he's a better defender. Of course Woody was a wonderful defender too, but Colo is immense.

And he has curly hair.

He's not as good of a defender that Woodgate was for us. (Based on when he played of course)

That's no disrespect to Colo - but Woodgate was that good.

Woodgate is the best centre back I've ever seen in a Newcastle shirt...not a weakness to his game. But given the choice of the two I'd pick Coloccini every time because you can't put a price on his superb fitness record.

Woodgate is the best centre back I've ever seen in a Newcastle shirt...not a weakness to his game. But given the choice of the two I'd pick Coloccini every time because you can't put a price on his superb fitness record.

Same, I've had this discussion with people at work that I think Woodgate is the best CB I've actually seen play in the flesh. He still seems underrated by fans of other clubs, maybe his fitness is the reason.

Still, pointless having a great player that's never fit, we've been down that road many times before.

Woodgate was amazing. If he didn't have his injury problems he would've easily been an England regular. However, I'd rather have Colo, there's no point having a quality player if they're going to be injured for the majority of the season, every season.

Woodgate is probably the best english defender in modern times, with King just behind. Too bad both are crippled. Both would have kept Ferdinand and Terry out of the England team. It say something about Woody's class when leeds actually thought selling Ferdinand was a good deal because Woody had just begun playing for them, and they thought he was better.  Woody was only 23 when he played for us, and already then he was a complete stopper. He had everything: pace, technique, an incredible air prowess and a coolness with and without the ball. . Especially the latter ability separates him from Ferdinand. And King is still class when he plays, and that's exceptional considering that he's injured most of the season. Imagine how good he could have been if he were able to play regular football. When Woody played, he took the other defenders to another level too. O'Brien and Bramble looked good when they were paired with him. Because of that, I would have taken Woody back in a heartbeat, if he was offered to us, as long as he's willing to take a pay as you play contract.

Agree with the woodgate praise. I remember being at the game where we beat Chelsea 2-1 through Ameobi and Shearer, when Woodgate got injured after Bellamy had been recently crocked, genuinely believe if those two had stayed fit that season we'd have had a very good crack at the title. Woodgate was insanely good, just too often injured.

Guest neesy111

Woodgate is rare in that he changed the defence when he played. Colo is a great player but you'd still bet on Williamson or Taylor dropping a clanger alongside him, Woodgate coached the entire back four through the game.

He didn't with bramble sadly, I still remember him dropping clangers when Woodgate played.  Liverpool (h) 2003 reminds me of this.

Woodgate is rare in that he changed the defence when he played. Colo is a great player but you'd still bet on Williamson or Taylor dropping a clanger alongside him, Woodgate coached the entire back four through the game.

He didn't with bramble sadly, I still remember him dropping clangers when Woodgate played.  Liverpool (h) 2003 reminds me of this.

I can remember Bramble looking twice the player the vast majority of the time he played alongside Woody. Same goes for O'Brien.