Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Think some people are overstating Woodgate's ability out of nostalgia. I mean he was good but to say that he changed our back four is going too far imo

I agree with this bit. But as for Woodgate himself and his performances. He was almost flawless. Great player.

He still seems underrated by fans of other clubs, maybe his fitness is the reason.

Aye, although ask VI... Not a normal fan of another club, but he thinks Woodgate was stunning iirc. Think we saw the best of Woodgate though - he's never been so perfect as he was since his return to England.

Well, I only say that when he managed to turn out for Real Madrid he was great, but that didn't happen too often to make a difference.

The fact that so many clubs have clinged to him despite his horrendous fitness record should tell you something about how managers rate him.

Think some people are overstating Woodgate's ability out of nostalgia. I mean he was good but to say that he changed our back four is going too far imo

I agree with this bit. But as for Woodgate himself and his performances. He was almost flawless. Great player.

He absolutely did change the back four, the whole team consequently, in fact. There might well be a post lurking in a far corner of the internet showing I thought this at the time...

Well, I only say that when he managed to turn out for Real Madrid he was great, but that didn't happen too often to make a difference.

The fact that so many clubs have clinged to him despite his horrendous fitness record should tell you something about how managers rate him.

Seem to remember you praised him more significantly in the past, but aye, fair enough.

Woodgate is rare in that he changed the defence when he played. Colo is a great player but you'd still bet on Williamson or Taylor dropping a clanger alongside him, Woodgate coached the entire back four through the game.

He didn't with bramble sadly, I still remember him dropping clangers when Woodgate played.  Liverpool (h) 2003 reminds me of this.

I can remember Bramble looking twice the player the vast majority of the time he played alongside Woody. Same goes for O'Brien.

Agreed. I still remember his debut. I could not believe what I saw: NUFC playing well in defense. £9 million was an absolute steal. He's better than Ferdinand, and the latter cost £30 mill.  If you compare skills with money paid, Woodagte was probably the best bargain in Castles history, together with Tiote and HBA.

Guest neesy111

Woodgate is rare in that he changed the defence when he played. Colo is a great player but you'd still bet on Williamson or Taylor dropping a clanger alongside him, Woodgate coached the entire back four through the game.

He didn't with bramble sadly, I still remember him dropping clangers when Woodgate played.  Liverpool (h) 2003 reminds me of this.

I can remember Bramble looking twice the player the vast majority of the time he played alongside Woody. Same goes for O'Brien.

Agreed. I still remember his debut. I could not believe what I saw: NUFC playing well in defense. £9 million was an absolute steal. He's better than Ferdinand, and the latter cost £30 mill.  If you compare skills with money paid, Woodagte was probably the best bargain in Castles history, together with Tiote and HBA.

It wasn't a steal.  If you pay £9M for a CB then you expect him to be fit for most of your games.  Woodgate averaged around 30% of games, a shocking record simple as that.  I was delighted when we sold him for £14M, again the problem was who we reinvested that money with.

It wasn't a steal.  If you pay £9M for a CB then you expect him to be fit for most of your games.  Woodgate averaged around 30% of games, a shocking record simple as that.  I was delighted when we sold him for £14M, again the problem was who we reinvested that money with.

Where has that 30% figure came from?  It certainly can't be associated with his time here.

Guest neesy111

Where has that 30% figure came from?  It certainly can't be associated with his time here.

Woodgate played 28 games for us in the same period we played almost 70 games. 30% is not correct but it's still a shocking record.

Guest neesy111

He played 36 games actually in roughly 72 games. I will leave you to work out how close that is to 30%

Where are these figures from?  Mine say 28 games ???

Woodgate was amazing TBF. To say he transformed our back four is hardly an understatement.

Although out of the two, Coloccini is my favourite because he stuck with us through our relegation and is apparently one of the nicest guys you could meet.

Coloccini will go down in history as the cult hero, of all cult hero's for Newcastle (largely becuase of his curly hair). It would be an honor for us to see Coloccini finish his career with us.

Guest neesy111

To be a good player you need to stay fit for some park of your career, that is why to me he should not be considered anywhere near like's of Ferdinand etc.

Would consider Coloccini already a better player for us because of the amount of games he plays.

Guest Roger Kint

He played 36 games actually in roughly 72 games. I will leave you to work out how close that is to 30%

Where are these figures from?  Mine say 28 games ???

I looked past the first column

To be a good player you need to stay fit for some park of your career, that is why to me he should not be considered anywhere near like's of Ferdinand etc.

Would consider Coloccini already a better player for us because of the amount of games he plays.

If we use your logic, O'Brien, Bassong, Bramble and Boumsong are all better players than Woodgate, because they played more games for us, which leads me to believe that you're bloody insane. But I agree that normally, one player's economical value/deficit for the club correlates with the amount of matches he plays. But when I made my evaluation of WOody, I  focused on skills only, which then leaves the amount of games played out the equation. Skillwise, Woody is the best CB in Castle's history. Period.

But if you had choice of coloccini now or woodgate when he was with us who would you take?  I personnaly can't see past coloccini because i'd prefer having a defender of his quality playing every game of the season than a player of woodgates quality playing a maximum of about 15 games a season.

Guest neesy111

If we use your logic, O'Brien, Bassong, Bramble and Boumsong are all better players than Woodgate, because they played more games for us, which leads me to believe that you're bloody insane. But I agree that normally, one player's economical value/deficit for the club correlates with the amount of matches he plays. But when I made my evaluation of WOody, I  focused on skills only, which then leaves the amount of games played out the equation. Skillwise, Woody is the best CB in Castle's history. Period.

They were far more useful than having a crock on the treatment table 1/2 of the time (except boumsong).  When fit he was brilliant, but being brilliant isn't useful if your injured for more than 1/2 of your career which woodgate has been.

Guest neesy111

But if you had choice of coloccini now or woodgate when he was with us who would you take?  I personnaly can't see past coloccini because i'd prefer having a defender of his quality playing every game of the season than a player of woodgates quality playing a maximum of about 15 games a season.

Coloccini, no questions asked.

I'd take Colo every time, Woodgate was a great player when fit but TBH i fail to believe that he wasn't always un-fit for medical reasons.

I would echo the thoughts on here that Woodgate is one of the best CB's I have ever seen play for us.

Also I completely agree he changed the side when he played. The back four was completely different with/without him. He was a true leader who added calm and organized the back. He worked well with bramble sweeping up any mistakes and letting bramble sit a little higher.

Woodgate was truley immense when fit for us.

Colo doesnt inspire as much confidence although he is brimming with it right now. He is increasingly better on the ball and much more of a flair player than Woodgate, his runs forward against Blackburn and Birmingham were immense. There is however more chance of seeing a him drop a clanger than Woodgate, Colo takes alot more risks. Woodgate would make more last ditch well timed tackles, but that could be a sign of how much pressure we were under back then.

Williamson is a poor mans Woodgate, he uses his brain, plays to his strengths, keeps its simple and anticipates danger pretty well. He is a good match with Colo for keeping the calm, although he lacks the pace to really accel past this level imo.

Colo has been a rock this season and proved all his doubters wrong. He certatinly still has time to improve aswell. He is quite different to Woodgate though so the comparison is a little tainted.

Obviously given Woodgates injury problems no-one would want him ahead of Colo, but when fit at his peak there were few better I have seen. Colo Woodgate as a partnership would be a more acceptable discussion.

Comparisons by careers to Ferdinand have no basis for argument but at their best I would pick Woodgate. I am biased though.