Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

So what are the good skills that people see making him a good manager and what signs of those skills do you think we have seen so far?

Expecting "fuck off" but im seriously interested to hear.

I'm not decided on him at all yet. I love him and in a way I'd like to take the risk and see what happens if he gets it full time, with resources and time. But so far he hasn't really shown anything to make me say "we have to keep him!". We havent improved under him. I really thought he could get the players fired up but that just hasnt happened at all. And when I think of the skills that could make him a good manager, motivation of the players for some reason is the first thing that comes to mind. You'd think he has the character to do that.

And "no one could get them fired up" doesnt really cut it for me sorry :undecided:

I reckon i, for one, will just have to agree to disagree there. I genuinely just don't feel the mentality of this collection of footballers could have been altered in such a way, to make us stay up. The vast majority of these players will not have a problem finding a new club, and 'in fairness' to them (disclaimer: i feel no pity for any of the cunts whatsoever)... they have been royally fucked over by several of the key people at this football club over the course of the season. Again, without trying to pity them, they've played under four managers this season... what the fuck... four managers.

I know their wage slips suggest they should put that to one side and get the fuck on with it... but such is the mentality of the modern-day footballer...

Shearer had a fucking enormous job motivating these players. Unfortunately, he could only motivate a few individuals. That wasn't a surprise. A lot of these players will get sold on in the summer, but most of them left the club in February/March sorta time, if not before.

From a footballing perspective, i don't know really. For one thing - he isn't the true Brit grit, 4-4-2, lump the ball forward no matter what, clogger manager i feared at the back of my mind. He hasn't been afraid to try out new formations, he's recognised his errors, and he's recognised the areas where it's blatantly not going quite right. From a tactical perspective, i reckon there's something there - remembering that he's never actually managed a football club before. From a substitution perspective, he gets the thumbs up - definitely. Pulling straws i suppose.

I honestly don't know. I've just got a good feeling. At the moment, i'd say he's a manager with bags of potential... whether or not that's what we require right now... i'm unsure. But i'll take it.

That's debatable like.

So what are the good skills that people see making him a good manager and what signs of those skills do you think we have seen so far?

Expecting "fuck off" but im seriously interested to hear.

I'm not decided on him at all yet. I love him and in a way I'd like to take the risk and see what happens if he gets it full time, with resources and time. But so far he hasn't really shown anything to make me say "we have to keep him!". We havent improved under him. I really thought he could get the players fired up but that just hasnt happened at all. And when I think of the skills that could make him a good manager, motivation of the players for some reason is the first thing that comes to mind. You'd think he has the character to do that.

And "no one could get them fired up" doesnt really cut it for me sorry :undecided:

Yeah, it's an uncomfortable fact that lots of people are reluctant to face up to, that he hasn't done any better than Kinnear or Houghton.

If he really, really wants the job, I'd give it to him, because he's bright enough to learn as he goes, and most importantly he would bring unity to a club that has been destroyed by disunity at every level. Like Keegan though, I'm not sure that his motivation is strong enough. It's all very well to say, 'if things are how I want them to be, I'll take the job', but life ain't like that.

Pray to god he stay's on.

He got a name to bring in some exiting players. Also from his comments that this club needs "surgery" all the way to the top, i guess he knows exactly what to do.

For enthusiasm for the next season. I cant think of anyone better than Shearer.

I dunno mate.

It's easy to see the problems it's different when it comes to actually correcting them.

if he's appointed full time manager, he gets his own staff. He gets a whole summer to start building a squad. Can pick hungry players. We all know his passion for the club. Big Al's the man for me. However if he dont take it on fulltime im sure we can find a manager hungry for a challenge also.

Remember during shearer's last years as a player when some people said he was holding us back and should have been sold/dropped? It turns out he was instrumental in keeping us up. 3 years after he hung up his boots we're relegated.

Disagree with your point completely.

He was woeful by that time, back pocketed to an embarassing extent almost every week by bigger, stronger, younger, faster Premiership centrebacks with more legs in them, and imo one of the reasons why we've gone down 3 years later is that we've continued this backwards mentality of pandering to players way past their useful life based on a combination of sentiment and past reputation.

Had we done the right thing, the thing that Alex Ferguson does at Old Trafford, or Wenger at the Emirates, or Rafa at Anfield, had we moved an aging striker no longer fit for regular Premiership football on and replaced him with a suitable, younger alternative based on ability, attributes, good scouting and some common sense, we'd not be in the mess we are today.

Remember during shearer's last years as a player when some people said he was holding us back and should have been sold/dropped? It turns out he was instrumental in keeping us up. 3 years after he hung up his boots we're relegated.

He was woeful by that time, back pocketed to an embarassing extent almost every week by bigger, stronger, younger, faster Premiership centrebacks with more legs in them, and imo one of the reasons why we've gone down 3 years later is that we've continued this backwards mentality of pandering to players way past their useful life based on a combination of sentiment and past reputation.

Had we done the right thing, the thing that Alex Ferguson does at Old Trafford, or Wenger at the Emirates, or Rafa at Anfield, had we moved an aging striker no longer fit for regular Premiership football on and replaced him with a suitable, younger alternative based on ability, attributes, good scouting and some common sense, we'd not be in the mess we are today.

So you're saying, if we'd sold Shearer circa 2003 - we wouldn't be relegated in 2009?

Expecting "f*** off" but im seriously interested to hear.

I'm with you on this one. Would love him to prove me wrong, but I haven't seen too much to suggest he will become a great manager. Apart from the motivation perspective, I also worry about his tactical credentials. His experimenting with tactics in his early games (playing 3 at the back) may well have cost us the point we needed, and lately he has played a flat 4-4-2 without anything coming from the wings and with defenders just aimlessly hoofing the ball forward; all in all not too dissimilar to the way Fat Sam had us "playing". He is clearly trying to find out what kind of manager he wants to be, but I don't expect him to be very creative about it, so it may well not be easy on the eye...

A great player doesn't necessarily make a great manager...

Guest firetotheworks

Both the benefit and detriment of him being our manager is our undying love for him. Chances are he'll be given every possible chance to succeed (by us) and could be the man to give us the stability we need. On the flip side we could follow him to certain death.

People need to remind themselves of the position in the league this club was in when Shearer came here. They were in that position after 30 fucking games, is he meant to somehow make them a team superior to the one we watched for those 30 games? Is he bollocks, judge him next season (if he stays) when he has his own players for a full season, not when he inherits a bunch of fucking cunts who played for this club in a season where we got relegated.

People need to remind themselves of the position in the league this club was in when Shearer came here. They were in the positon after 30 fucking games,  is he meant to somehow make them a team superior to the one we watched for those 30 games? Is he bollocks, judge him next season (if he stays) when he has his own players for a full season, not when he inherits a bunch of fucking cunts who played for this club in a season where we got relegated.

:nods:

In fairness... those saying they've seen nowt to suggest he'll be a good manager, are just as bad/'irrational' as me saying i reckon he's got it in him to do a good job for us.

I'll be mortified if he isn't stood on the touchline in August, lets just put it that way. (assuming some undoubtedly class manager has said he wants it... which is totally gonna happen, btw)

The failure to replace Shearer at the right time has been a big factor in our decline over the last four years. We were clinging on to his reputation for far too long, regardless of performances - a bit like Owen now. Not only did that lead to a downward slide on the field, we couldn't move forward off the field because every manager was having to somehow accommodate him almost as a precondition of the job.

I think the guy has ability as a manager but does he really have the drive to tackle the job as it now stands? I'm not sure.

People need to remind themselves of the position in the league this club was in when Shearer came here. They were in the positon after 30 f***ing games,  is he meant to somehow make them a team superior to the one we watched for those 30 games? Is he bollocks, judge him next season (if he stays) when he has his own players for a full season, not when he inherits a bunch of f***ing c***s who played for this club in a season where we got relegated.

Agreed.

A couple of my mates were saying he's not showing any promise as a manager and the tactics are rubbish and what-not. It's really frustrating to think people can be so judgemental so quickly, and I believe thats why other people judge our fans. Even Keegan in 92 was given 4 months or so and could bring players in whenever he wanted due to no transfer windows. Shearer has been given 8 bloody games, 8 games in the premiership with just over a month to save us and people are expecting him to be an instant magician and repair damage which was already done and irrepairable, a gutless squad with no ounce of pace or creativity.

To be honest I think if anything we're lucky to have been in with a shout on the last day. If he's given time and a good budget I firmly believe he'd be able to build a good team.

Guest Heneage

People need to remind themselves of the position in the league this club was in when Shearer came here. They were in that position after 30 f***ing games,  is he meant to somehow make them a team superior to the one we watched for those 30 games? Is he bollocks, judge him next season (if he stays) when he has his own players for a full season, not when he inherits a bunch of f***ing c***s who played for this club in a season where we got relegated.

I see your point. But his persistence with Owen and other tactical decisions set a bad precedent for his stint as manager.

Shearer not getting better results from these players than Kinnear or Houghton did may just be proof that 'you can't polish a turd' and our players certainly combine to make a turd of a team. Shearer will be given time off the fans that other managers probably wouldn't get. It's not as if a load of top managers will be wanting to manage NUFC now we are a Championship team. Also, Shearer has an experienced manager in Dowie alongside him so it's not as if he was managing without help. You can't say if he'll make a good or bad manager based on 8 games with a rotten team in the bottom 3 of the premiership. Some of the few players who actually deserve respect like Beye seem to hope Shearer stays. The selection of Owen may have been a weakness of Shearer's but that 'problem' has now been removed. As for Shearer not picking Jonas today, Jonas is another one of those players who the fans seem to like even though they are shit (see Viana, Ketsbia, etc). Milner looks like Ronaldo compared to Jonas.

People need to remind themselves of the position in the league this club was in when Shearer came here. They were in that position after 30 f***ing games,  is he meant to somehow make them a team superior to the one we watched for those 30 games? Is he bollocks, judge him next season (if he stays) when he has his own players for a full season, not when he inherits a bunch of f***ing c***s who played for this club in a season where we got relegated.

I see your point. But his persistence with Owen and other tactical decisions set a bad president for his stint as manager.

:lol: You mean like George "Dubya" Bush?

Or did you mean precedent? :lol:

So you're saying, if we'd sold Shearer circa 2003 - we wouldn't be relegated in 2009?

Yes and No. I think the last sentance should read "we may not have been in the mess we are today".

What I'm basically saying is that had we run the club properly like the top clubs do, and had adequate scouting and transfer systems/policies in place, we may not have started that long slide which started around 03/04. For example, would we have suffered the way we have done in the past half decade had we signed Eto'o in 2003/4? Or Anelka at that time?

I appreciate that it's easy to read that question and think "how daft is that?" because it sounds it right now given the large gaps in time and the assumptions involved of who we might or might not have signed. But going back on these very forums at the time (I think - might have been others), there were some of us who felt we were being small-time in our ambitions and the way we were failing to maintain to essentially "modernise" along with the other clubs at the top of the table. The top clubs would have moved a player like Shearer on, or made him backup, when it was evident that his body was giving way. That's what Ferguson is well known for doing, and ruthlessly so, and when you look at them now, on the verge of winning every major trophy available (and some of those trophies they're competing for as defending Champions), it goes without saying that it's a policy you need to adopt in order to maintain success. And we were a top club at that time. We had the ability to sign a good replacement, we had the options, but we said "fuck off" to them because we had our Big Al. Even though, reading between the lines, our then manager Sir Bobby wanted to replace him.

We failed to move forward at a time when we had the chance to. No, being relegated isn't a direct consequence of that, relegation itself could have been avoided by not selling good players and signing dross, but the slide from a top club started at that time, and one of the major contributors (along with other factors that aren't relevant to this thread) to that slide was the failure to replace a player who the team was build around, yet was no longer physically up to the standards required.

Any Owen debates are over, he's gone. So is Martins, Barton blah blah blah. Who gives a fuck? They are all shite. They couldn't give two fucks about the club as they have shown, I'm fucking glad to see them off.

Guest Hodgey

I wish he'd proven himself as a manager at another club before he came here. It would be quite a big risk appointing him permanently.

Agree, have quite a few reservations / doubts about an inexperienced manager cutting his managerial teeth in a very tough league to get out of with what will be a totally overhauled club in terms of players and back-up staff.  Love Shearer but should we not get off to a decent start things could get a bit awkward.  He will need a solid and experienced bunch around him to assist and back his decision making or it could be the 'heart rather than the head' syndrome; we all want Alan to succeed but hasn't anyone else got just the slightest niggling doubt in their mind?!

I wish he'd proven himself as a manager at another club before he came here. It would be quite a big risk appointing him permanently.

Agree, have quite a few reservations / doubts about an inexperienced manager cutting his managerial teeth in a very tough league to get out of with what will be a totally overhauled club in terms of players and back-up staff.  Love Shearer but should we not get off to a decent start things could get a bit awkward.  He will need a solid and experienced bunch around him to assist and back his decision making or it could be the 'heart rather than the head' syndrome; we all want Alan to succeed but hasn't anyone else got just the slightest niggling doubt in their mind?!

I think there is something seriously wrong with anyone who doesn't have atleast a slight niggling doubt in their mind.