Peter Løvenkrands

Rich

from the Birminham Mail

Peter Lovenkrands was today set to rejoin Newcastle United after they offered him a contract to head off Blues interest.

The Danish winger trained with Blues at Wast Hills yesterday with a view to a deal, similar to the Stephen Carr scenario last season.

However, Alex McLeish couldn’t provide any guarantees to his former Rangers attacker, who became a free agent after his release by Newcastle following their Premier League relegation.

But Lovenkrands has now been given the security he craved by Newcastle and McLeish wasn’t in a position to match their offer.

Lovenkrands wasn’t prepared to wait another five weeks or so for Carson Yeung and his group to take charge, when McLeish would have had the resources - and been able to judge form and fitness - to act decisively.

He said: “Peter was a player we got to look at but because of our financial situation I couldn’t offer him a contract, we’re spent in terms of the budget.

“But it was my intention to let him train with us for a few weeks. I think he’s a bit short of fitness. Then we would have seen what had happened.

“Once the takeover had gone through successfully - or even if it hadn’t - Peter might have showed up so well that I could have persuaded the club to have taken him on. But he had an offer from Newcastle on the table.”

doesn't sound like it.

But good news overall, very good news. We're crying and screaming and banging head of the wall for a striker that can get in behind the defenders and he's still very quick over 10 yards with decent positional awareness. That should make all the difference with accomplished passers like Barton and Guthrie behind him. In the championship that sort of link up will produce goals.

Lovenkrands in = promotion.

out of sheer curiosity, why?

Because he's exactly the kind of player we need and I think he has the ability to tear the Championship a new one.

You weren't expecting me to give you an ironclad 100% proof, were you?

Guest rosstoon

Hes been training with Rangers to keep fit. He will be key and can play either left right or Cf. Also I am hearing that we are to sign 4 loan players.  All from Premier league clubs + CH is trying to Ashley to part with 3m to put bids in for Beckford and Vaughan.

no, I basically agree that he'll do very well. But to imply he's the difference between promotion and another year in the championship is a litte niave.

I don't think it is. Injuries permitting, we're basically one pacy striker away from having a nearly perfect XI for this division. (Yes, in an ideal world we'd pick up a winger and a CB as well, but still)

no, I basically agree that he'll do very well. But to imply he's the difference between promotion and another year in the championship is a litte niave.

I think he can be. He did improve our team when he played up front last season and scored in 1 in 4 games, generally against the West Broms and the Boros. He offers the main improvement the team seeks right now, and  we are already favourites to win this division. Keep him fit and Shola fit and our strikers will score more goals than any other strikeforce in the league, not to forget the goals we are getting from midfield. We'll have the best attack in the league and the best defence in the league making us the best team in the league if we keep players fit.

DANISH ace Peter Lovenkrands was set to return to Newcastle United this morning.

The Chronicle revealed that United had offered the ex-Rangers man a deal back on August 18 and after mulling over a series of offers elsewhere, Lovenkrands will return to St James's Park to help ease the injury situation in attack with Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll both out.

DANISH ace Peter Lovenkrands was set to return to Newcastle United this morning.

The Chronicle revealed that United had offered the ex-Rangers man a deal back on August 18 and after mulling over a series of offers elsewhere, Lovenkrands will return to St James's Park to help ease the injury situation in attack with Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll both out.

I see he has taken his time to make his mind up then, still hoping a big name club would come in for him.

I see he has taken his time to make his mind up then, still hoping a big name club would come in for him.

So what... can you blame him?

So what... can you blame him?

I didn't say anything to the contrary, just said he took his time.