Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

We've been linked with Sol Campbell.......

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/87438/Sol-looney-toon-move/

Would be great if true, perfect physically for the Championship and would help Taylor loads I think.

Was poor in his last season at Arsenal, thought he was carried by Distin in his first season at Pompey, and was pretty average when he played last year. Surely this is the sort of signing we should be steering clear of now? See Duff, Geremi, Smith, etc.

Valid point and one I'd normally totally agree with but on this occasion I'd take a chance and bring Campbell onboard in a player/coach capacity for a couple of years.

He could do for Taylor and co what we should have signed Martin Keown or Hyppia to do for Bramble years ago.

If we could get for reasonable wages - say £60k - at the expense of someone like Smith or Duff then I could see him adding much more to the club and the younger squad players/juniors.

Just bought a huge mansion up here too with his bird - the Granddaughter of the Barratt Homes dynasty.

As someone said earlier though, he isn after a stable club, which rules us out for the time being.

Would be great if true, perfect physically for the Championship and would help Taylor loads I think.

Was poor in his last season at Arsenal, thought he was carried by Distin in his first season at Pompey, and was pretty average when he played last year. Surely this is the sort of signing we should be steering clear of now? See Duff, Geremi, Smith, etc.

Valid point and one I'd normally totally agree with but on this occasion I'd take a chance and bring Campbell onboard in a player/coach capacity for a couple of years.

He could do for Taylor and co what we should have signed Martin Keown or Hyppia to do for Bramble years ago.

If we could get for reasonable wages - say £60k - at the expense of someone like Smith or Duff then I could see him adding much more to the club and the younger squad players/juniors.

Just bought a huge mansion up here too with his bird - the Granddaughter of the Barratt Homes dynasty.

As someone said earlier though, he isn after a stable club, which rules us out for the time being.

Just seen this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Our wage limit should be £30k/£35k on anyone coming in tbh

Prefer no player getting over £2m a year

I think we should give all the new transfers at least 60k a week no doubt  :facepalm:

I wouldn't...we should bring in a wage policy of no player is worth more than 50K like Arsenal and many others. It's not a matter of how much the players are paid if they just want to do the job for the club. No player deserves more than 50K a week IMO which already is a ridiculous fee considering what they're doing! If they thik they deserve more they can fuck off

Just look at the likes of Everton, Aston Villa, Fulham, Wigan etc...

I think we should give all the new transfers at least 60k a week no doubt  :facepalm:

I wouldn't...we should bring in a wage policy of no player is worth more than 50K like Arsenal and many others. It's not a matter of how much the players are paid if they just want to do the job for the club. No player deserves more than 50K a week IMO which already is a ridiculous fee considering what they're doing! If they thik they deserve more they can fuck off

Just look at the likes of Everton, Aston Villa, Fulham, Wigan etc...

It is a brilliant idea, look at Fabregas still at Arsenal despite being able to go to Barca/Real Madrid and probably earning an extra 40k. It shows a commitment and dedication if they stay, and even Adebayor last season, could have got more wages if he went to Milan but he stayed for the club. I imagine there is a much better atmosphere in the Arsenal dressing room than the Real Madrid "I earn 100k a week more than you" one!

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Sol Campbell imminent?

He's probably coming because he fancies Habib Beye. He's only human

Guest Roger Kint

Sol Campbell imminent?

He's probably coming because he fancies Habib Beye. He's only human

Maybe he heard about Nile and the bananas ;D

And I thought we were supposed to be unloading all the deadwood instead of bringing in some more??? Signing such players with huge wages have driven us to the current position so please do not do that anymore!

I don't think he's deadwood.  Obviously I wouldn't want him on high wages and so the transfer is unlikely but I reckon he would be a good signing.

Hell, I'd rather have Campbell on 30-40k a week than Martins on 60k a week which most people seem to want.

Guest dan tanner

The average wage in the championship is around  £4000 a week.

There are some bigger earners which are usually from teams who have been relegated from the prem. The idea of paying £30k/£35k for anyone coming in is finacial suicide, as £30k/£35k would be excellent wages for most of the premiership.

There are some bigger earners which are usually from teams who have been relegated from the prem. The idea of paying £30k/£35k for anyone coming in is finacial suicide, as £30k/£35k would be excellent wages for most of the premiership.

We need to find a balance though if we're to try and come straight back up, because if we just pay average Championship money we'll get average Championship players. Not saying we can afford to go silly of course, but we need to punch our weight.

Agree 1 season at bigger wages will help keep and atract players, we need to bounce straight back up, asking players to take a 50% wage cut is stupid, its not in their contract so why would they agree to it?

Speaking to The Daily Star, Campbell said, "You want a good chairman and a great manager – it doesn’t matter if he is coming into the game or is vastly experienced. You want stability.

Is that a Shearer hint?

Guest dan tanner

We need to find a balance though if we're to try and come straight back up, because if we just pay average Championship money we'll get average Championship players. Not saying we can afford to go silly of course, but we need to punch our weight.

Yes, there is a balance to be sought.  The parachute payments usually give some room to entice better players to a club by paying more than the going rate. But the amount of players here that are on huge deals with no relegation clauses written in will soak up all that money, plus the season ticket revenue and match day receipts as well. The wage policy if nothing changes in the boardroom will be minimum wages that will should be bonus linked to sucess. Get the club stable first, don't gamble on a quick return to the prem by paying big wages now. 

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/391177/SHEARER-DOUBLE-SWOOP.html

Campbell and Evans to spark Toon revival

STILL WAITING - But Alan Shearer has been active behind the scenes while Newcastle's future is slowly sorted out

ALAN SHEARER has this week made his first move as Newcastle's manager-in-waiting by lining up a double swoop for strikers Ched Evans and Fraizer Campbell.

Shearer is likely to be installed by the end of the week as the search for a new owner at St James' Park nears completion.

The former England skipper is favoured by all three groups bidding for control and has begun working behind the scenes to assemble a squad to get straight back into the Premier League.

Available

The list of 10 names that was distributed throughout Europe for players available for transfer was compiled with his blessing.

Key figures Sebastien Bassong, Habib Beye and Steven Taylor were NOT on it, despite concerted efforts to unsettle the trio.

And Shearer has upped the ante this week with a double swoop for the strikers who will replace Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Oba Martins.

Campbell's proposed move to Hull has been on hold for three weeks while a row over money has rumbled on with Manchester United.

Competition

That has given Shearer the chance to ask about the striker, 21. His interest was not discouraged, despite competition from Sunderland boss Steve Bruce.

PRESENCE - Wales international Ched Evans could join Newcastle from Man CitySimilarly, he has set the wheels in motion to land Manchester City forward Evans.

The 20-year-old struggled for opportunities at Eastlands last season but bagged 10 goals in 20 starts during a loan spell at Norwich and Shearer wants that kind of physical presence in his front line. He believes he could land the pair for less than £10million.

However, Shearer's annoyance at the length of time it is taking to sort out the club ownership is rising and he has been forced to ask his targets to wait.

Takeover

Keith Harris, the man brokering the sale to end Mike Ashley's disastrous two years in charge, was hopeful a takeover was on the brink of conclusion on Thursday. However, problems over the level of the club's overdraft stalled a deal late on Friday evening.

To speed up the process, Martins and Fabricio Coloccini are set to be sold this week French giants Lyon have lined up Martins as a direct replacement for Karim Benzema, who moved to Real Madrid for £35m. Bundesliga champions VfL Wolfsburg are also interested.

Coloccini, who cost Newcastle a staggering £11m last summer when he arrived from Deportivo la Coruna, is the subject of a £4m bid from Galatasaray.

An American consortium, shown around St James' Park and the club's training facilities on Monday remain in pole position to assume control at Newcastle.

But a Malaysian group, who were in Toon on Thursday, have matched the £80m asking price.