Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

From the Journal today:

It wouldnt be true to say that Newcastle have missed out on Jermaine [beckford] because of what is going on there, Rubery [his agent] told The Journal.

There has been interest from other clubs and I would anticipate something happening soon maybe in the next couple of weeks when the transfer market begins to start hotting up.

The longer it goes on the less chance they have of getting Jermaine, but its not for me to say what is going on at Newcastle. But it is certainly true that Newcastle are still a seriously attractive option for Jermaine.

They are a big club, with a fantastic tradition and history and any player would love to play at St Jamess Park. Im sure he would talk to whoever takes over at Newcastle when it is sorted out.

Someone in the other clubs transfer thread has just said SSN have confirmed two Championship clubs have bid for him. If true cant see him deciding to wait even longer on us.

Maybe one is us and we are infact about to be taken over. :facepalm:

We can live in hope.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6676770.ece

July 10, 2009

Sunderland closing in on £5m striker Fraizer Campbell

George Caulkin

Steve Bruce is on the verge of completing his first signing as Sunderland manager, with Fraizer Campbell set to leave Manchester United for the Stadium of Light.

Bruce, who has also made an £11 million bid for Peter Crouch, the Portsmouth striker, has held discussions with Campbell’s representatives after negotiating a fee, understood to be more than £5 million, with United.

The forward is expected to undergo a medical this weekend. Hull City, where Campbell spent the 2007-08 season on loan, have been long-term admirers of the England Under-21 international, who was also linked with a move to Newcastle United.

Bruce retains a firm interest in Darren Bent, the Tottenham Hotspur striker, and Richard Dunne, the Manchester City captain.

Guest koenji

apparently Birmingham are looking to sell Sebastian Larsson........not sure if he`d be willing to drop down a division again but he`d be a player that would be a nice addition if we had some management

apparently Birmingham are looking to sell Sebastian Larsson........not sure if he`d be willing to drop down a division again but he`d be a player that would be a nice addition if we had some management

I was keen on us buying him last summer as a squad filler/replacement for Butt and thought he looked good value at £3m/£4m. I can't imagine he would cost any more than that now - likely less.

He'd do a good job imo sat behind a playmaker breaking things up and keeping play moving.

Guest Peter.Sthlm

I'm watching a swedish league match between Helsingborg and Elfsborg on the telly. The commentator just mentioned that about ten clubs, with Newcastle beeing one of them, have scouts in the stands for this match. I'm not sure who we are looking at but probably Helsingborgs Rasmus Jönsson or Elfsborgs Emir Bajrami. Both of them have scored one goal each so far...

EDIT: Bajrami just scored his second for the night...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post this but I'm anticipating a lot of 'which manager/chairman's going to buy him' or ' we should have got him in January' posts

Thursday brings with it some positive news regarding a potential new recruit, some impressive performances by our youngsters and positive message from the Newcastle United Supporters Club. Now we’ll bet you weren’t expecting that to happen anytime soon!

Amidst growing reports of an imminent mass exodus of the current squad – Newcastle could be back in the hunt for promising HJK Helsinki defender Jukka Raitala.

The Finn was invited for a trial with us back in January but disappeared off the radar at around the same time Joe Kinnear completed the signing of fellow trialist Peter Lovenkrands.

This month’s issue of World Soccer Magazine reports that our impressive scouting network have since returned to watch the now fully-fledged Finnish international on several occasions – although a bid has yet to be tendered for the player.

A fee of £500k has been suggested – along with rival interest from a host of top Dutch and German clubs. Not to mention West Brom, who’ve apparently formalised their interest and invited Raitala for a trial.

A member of Finland’s 2009 European Championship U21 squad, two-footed Raitala is a versatile defender who can play across the back four. Standing at 5ft 11, Jukka could provide solid cover or be an outright replacement for current fullbacks Jose Enrique and Habib Beye – who taday waslinke with a move to Pompey.

According to the Shields Gazette, the Senegal defender is poised to replace the departed Glen Johnson at Fratton Park now that the south coast side have been officially taken over and subsequently installed a permanent manager.

Jealous anyone?

At 20 years of age, Raitala is further along the line than the crop of young recruits currently being groomed for the transition from reserve to first-team football.

So if a bid does transpire for the player then surely he’d be one for the here and now at St James’ Park.

http://www.leazesdigest.com/2009/07/23/finn-scouted-as-youngsters-continue-to-make-the-grade/

• 1 month later...
Guest Roger Kint

Got to love how no-one posted in this thread throughout the whole of August as expectations of actually signing players died.

While other clubs transfers went on strong ;D