RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We've got the wage bill under £30m by my best estimate, and these players, with a couple of loans, freebies and cheap deals to reinforce the squad will win the Championship. Then the owner will have a Premier League club that wont need a new stadium to be built, and will collect the third highest matchday revenue in that league, and with all that has come to pass, the owner would have a completely blank slate with regards to what he can do.

Even though we are in a division below, you can do more with us in 10 years than you could ever do with Everton, West Ham, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Wigan, Sunderland, even Man City if you were rich enough.

We should be the best value for money purchase ever made in football if someone had money, ambition, and foresight.

No way the wage bill is under £30m, more like mid to high 40's.  I definitely agree with the rest though.

yeah by my rough calculations with duff gone some 23m a year has gone off the wage bill since the end of last year so that would leave it in the 40-50m bracket

I dunno, I couldn't remember figures for what it was before, so tried counting upwards, as as far as I'm aware, the likes of Rozehnal were on the last wage bill estimate and we know that more have gone out than in since then:

I've tried doing that before mate (looking at the first team players basic wages to get the wage bill) and it never works.  Like you said it misses quite a few lower paid players and hundreds of other staff.  It also misses out bonuses and to be honest those estimates are also quite conservative IMO.

The wage bill was £70m from the last accounts, we then sold a few and brought a few in.  Even if we assume it stayed at £70m (and most sources claim it actually rose slightly to £72m), that would still put it at roughly £45m now when we remove the players who have gone so far this transfer window.

This idea of co-ownership seems to be gathering pace and as far as I can see it's based purely on the fact that a couple of people on this thread suggested it. Even the local media have picked it up from here I reckon.

Ashley wants out, Moat wants in. Can't particularly see why anything has changed.

it just seems a logical compromise ashley wants out desperatly so he doesnt lose more money but cant find a buyer to meet his price moat wants in to help his club but may not have the money to buy it outright, both parties in the spirit of compromise go for next best thing where moat purchases a hefty chunk of the shares of the club, ashley gets his wish that the cost to his pocket is reduced and can take a backseat role moat can go on with day to day stuff appoint shearer and free up some transfer funds so he can buy players

The only reason I floated the idea of there being a Moat/Ashley partnership is down to the fact that I know Ashley is a good businessman and he won't want to take such a huge hit to his bank account but also not lose what could potentially be a good investment.  If he took a 50% cut and went out of the public eye to let Moat run the club it could ease the tensions between himself and the fans (he's not an idiot and knows we don't approve of him any longer) while still being able to make some cash off the whole thing.  He's already asked for help from other individuals for investment in the squad/club and it just wouldn't surprise me at all if he were to do something along these lines - still take his wedge but not have to deal with anything NUFC-related publicly.

We've got the wage bill under £30m by my best estimate, and these players, with a couple of loans, freebies and cheap deals to reinforce the squad will win the Championship. Then the owner will have a Premier League club that wont need a new stadium to be built, and will collect the third highest matchday revenue in that league, and with all that has come to pass, the owner would have a completely blank slate with regards to what he can do.

Even though we are in a division below, you can do more with us in 10 years than you could ever do with Everton, West Ham, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Wigan, Sunderland, even Man City if you were rich enough.

We should be the best value for money purchase ever made in football if someone had money, ambition, and foresight.

No way the wage bill is under £30m, more like mid to high 40's.  I definitely agree with the rest though.

yeah by my rough calculations with duff gone some 23m a year has gone off the wage bill since the end of last year so that would leave it in the 40-50m bracket

I dunno, I couldn't remember figures for what it was before, so tried counting upwards, as as far as I'm aware, the likes of Rozehnal were on the last wage bill estimate and we know that more have gone out than in since then:

Harper £40,000

Colo £50,000

Enrique £40,000

Nolan £40,000

Barton £50,000

Guthrie £20,000

Simpson £10,000

Taylor £30,000

Smith £50,000

Jonas £40,000

Xisco £40,000

Geremi £50,000

Butt £50,000

Shola £35,000

Carroll £15,000

Taylor £25,000

= £495,000 a week

x52 = £25,740,000

Obviously plus youngsters and staff,

YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CLUE WHAT THE PLAYERS ARE EARNING. It's laugable people making these suggestions. Do you even know what percentage, if any, of Danny Simpson's wages are paying? No you don't.

Absolute bullshit post.

This idea of co-ownership seems to be gathering pace and as far as I can see it's based purely on the fact that a couple of people on this thread suggested it. Even the local media have picked it up from here I reckon.

Ashley wants out, Moat wants in. Can't particularly see why anything has changed.

I think what's changed is Ashleys expectations in regard to the sale amount. There's obviously not been an offer to meet his ideal sale figure otherwise he'd have been off by now.

That coupled with the wage bill being reduced, the start to the season from a relaively 'cheap' squad, the lack of any form of protest from the fans and the fact Moat wants in, possibly can't fund a whole takeover and is someone he can work with (they seem quite matey) makes me summise he may be here for a while yet.

All guesswork as you intimate but thought I should explain my rationale.

I'm not saying it's not a possibility mate, just that it's by no means a certainty. I still hope (and believe) that Ashley wants to cut all ties with the club and fucks off ASAP.

YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CLUE WHAT THE PLAYERS ARE EARNING. It's laugable people making these suggestions. Do you even know what percentage, if any, of Danny Simpson's wages are paying? No you don't.

Absolute bullshit post.

:lol: :thup:

Harper £40,000

Colo £50,000

Enrique £40,000

Nolan £40,000

Barton £50,000

Guthrie £20,000

Simpson £10,000

Taylor £30,000

Smith £50,000

Jonas £40,000

Xisco £40,000

Geremi £50,000

Butt £50,000

Shola £35,000

Carroll £15,000

Taylor £25,000

= £495,000 a week

x52 = £25,740,000

Obviously plus youngsters and staff,

Absolute bullshit post.

:mackems:

I think what's changed is Ashleys expectations in regard to the sale amount. There's obviously not been an offer to meet his ideal sale figure otherwise he'd have been off by now.

That coupled with the wage bill being reduced, the start to the season from a relaively 'cheap' squad, the lack of any form of protest from the fans and the fact Moat wants in, possibly can't fund a whole takeover and is someone he can work with (they seem quite matey) makes me summise he may be here for a while yet.

All guesswork as you intimate but thought I should explain my rationale.

I'm not saying it's not a possibility mate, just that it's by no means a certainty. I still hope (and believe) that Ashley wants to cut all ties with the club and fucks off ASAP.

Join the club. He's never going to have the faith, support or believe of the fans no matter what he does.

That said, if he's in the background and someone with half a brain and a tongue runs the business properly then we'll have to grin and bare it I suppose.

Absolute bullshit post.

I agree, I love all of these people who magically know how much each player is making per-week, it's laughable.  The only people who have any clue are the ones running the books, the player, and his agent.  If you're not any of those people you should stop talking before you start acting like you even know.

Absolute bullshit post.

I agree, I love all of these people who magically know how much each player is making per-week, it's laughable.  The only people who have any clue are the ones running the books, the player, and his agent.  If you're not any of those people you should stop talking before you start acting like you even know.

Nobody knows exactly what they're on obviously, but we do have a fairly decent idea IMO.  Definitely not close enough to try to count up the squad's wages to get the total wage bill though :lol:

Absolute bullshit post.

I think we have a fairly decent idea what a lot of them are on.  Obviously none of it will be exact but most of it will be in the right area.  Not close enough to try to count up the squad's wages to get the wage bill though :lol:

No we don't. How do we have any clue? Please, just honestly answer that. I'm just looking for a genuine explanation.

Because people talk.  The media aren't all completely useless, they don't all guess at everything.  If you check out enough sources (and ignore shit like NOTW, Mirror, SUN ect) you'll usually get a decent idea on the kind of wage a player's on, at least the right kind of area anyway.

I probably jumped on your post a bit too rashly there, Teasy. I'm inclined to agree - it's probably fair to say that it's between X and Y, but as you say - we've nowhere near enough evidence to chart up a tally of wages and say we're shelling out Z amount of money.

I probably jumped on your post a bit too rashly there, Teasy. I'm inclined to agree - it's probably fair to say that it's between X and Y, but as you say - we've nowhere near enough evidence to chart up a tally of wages and say we're shelling out Z amount of money.

Yeah I definitely agree with that, I said so in my post, trying to do that just doesn't work at all.

The latest brief offering from George Caulkin http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6798419.ece

Mike Ashley’s decision to sit next to Barry Moat, the Tyneside businessman attempting to purchase Newcastle United, at the home game against Reading on Saturday was a show of unity for the benefit of Barclays Bank.

Moat, who is understood to have American backers, is attempting to raise the funds to buy Newcastle and install Alan Shearer as manager. Moat is due to hear this week from Barclays, which also furnishes the club’s overdraft, whether it will back his bid.

The appearance of Moat, who is the preferred bidder of Seymour Pierce, the investment bank charged with selling Newcastle, alongside Ashley was designed to reassure Barclays that the two men are united as negotiations enter their most delicate stage.

No real news there

Guest ItalianMagpie

There's something I'm missing here: how will Ashley be able to insist that he wants £100 million for the club if he's cutting down its value by selling most of the players? I guess that if the club was worth £100 million 2 weeks ago now it's surely not. Of course it's not only the players lot which affects the club's value, but it's an important part of it anyway. I cannot think that none of the two (or more) businessmen involved in the negotiations took this into account.

There's something I'm missing here: how will Ashley be able to insist that he wants £100 million for the club if he's cutting down its value by selling most of the players? I guess that if the club was worth £100 million 2 weeks ago now it's surely not. Of course it's not only the players lot which affects the club's value, but it's an important part of it anyway. I cannot think that none of the two (or more) businessmen involved in the negotiations took this into account.

The club could still be worth 100 million but the debt the new owner will inherit will be considerably less.

Guest ItalianMagpie

The club could still be worth 100 million but the debt the new owner will inherit will be considerably less.

Yes, but also the squad's value will be less. And the debt is still there, only the "future debts" are reduced now.