The England Thread

Pilko

Honest opinion on the players tonight.

Johnson was average really, can't cross with his left and lacks the attacking threat that he poses for Portsmouth.

Walcott- I have a bad feeling Croatia was a flash in the pan for this lad. He rarely uses his pace and gets at people despite that amazing run against Liverpool last year, he has potential to be a great old style winger.

Beckham - did a decent sweep up job but with deep lying teams he will always struggle to do those long range passes, switches the play very well though.

Crouch - Bit like Walcott I guess, has his moments, but he just isn't clinical enough, a lot of the stats about his goal scoring record for England ignore the teams that he has played against.

Defoe - Inept for England. Like Crouch won't be anywhere near the first XI in South Africa barring a miracle as he just isn't clinical enough.

Young- Looked good, showing potential of being the successor to the left side problem, streaks ahead of Downing syndrome.

Are you on massive quantities of heroin?

No are you? You put that team out against a competent side and they'd get beat Croatia last year at Wembley? You want to see how to destroy a team look at Germany spanking San Marino by 13.

I'm refering to the comments made about Johnson, Young and Defoe. Just... wrong.

Johnson was average? Come on ffs, he got three assists and constantly delivered clss balls. :lol:

In the post game interview; 4 assists yet  'lacks the attacking threat that he poses for Portsmouth'

I wasn't impressed with Walcott either tbh. Don't particularly rate him.

Same. Not going to write him off, but aye, played like a pretty generic winger, without the end product.

And just think: this is how he is now, and Sven took him to the fucking World Cup five years ago! The mad bastard.

WC04? Was that the one in Portugal? ;)

Barring injuries, the first choice team for next year looks nailed on for most positions, which is very heartening. Terry, Ferdinand, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Heskey will start. It's then between SWP and Walcott for the right side.

Goalkeeper and RB are still up for grabs, though if Johnson could show just a bit more composure in defence, he'd walk it.

I'd like to see Gibbs give Ashley Cole a run for his money. I hope it won't come too soon for him, because I think he is real class.

Same. Not going to write him off, but aye, played like a pretty generic winger, without the end product.

And just think: this is how he is now, and Sven took him to the fucking World Cup five years ago! The mad bastard.

Oh, piss off, you tit. I was looking at the number of fingers on my hand while I was writing.

Barring injuries, the first choice team for next year looks nailed on for most positions, which is very heartening. Terry, Ferdinand, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Heskey will start. It's then between SWP and Walcott for the right side.

Goalkeeper and RB are still up for grabs, though if Johnson could show just a bit more composure in defence, he'd walk it.

I'd like to see Gibbs give Ashley Cole a run for his money. I hope it won't come too soon for him, because I think he is real class.

RB is so not up-for-grabs.

Mainly due to there being no competition for GJo whatsoever.

You gonna put Wes Brown in there? :lol: or Gary Neville!?

How on earth is Wayne Bridge in the squad ahead of Leighton Baines? Bridge has been gettign steadily worse and Baines has been getting steadily better.

*Waits for 1878 to come and tell him Baines is shit*

Oh, piss off, you tit. I was looking at the number of fingers on my hand while I was writing.

:razz:

Guest Heneage

I'm refering to the comments made about Johnson, Young and Defoe. Just... wrong.

Defoe should have had a hat-trick, Johnson while getting forward didn't bomb at them about 3 or 4 times tonight delivered pure shit, you don't get that many chances against the good teams, yes he put in a good cross for Rooney's but by a good team that would have been swept up no problem, you are clearly all forgetting this is fucking Andorra. Young while his delivery was average to poor, he at least was putting the ball in instead of passing it away. I admit my Young opinion is possibly being nice, but the other two need to pull their socks up if they intend to be England regulars.

Johnson got 3 assists man from right back. I don't care if we're playing San Marino Under 8's, what more do you want against a team who played a bank of 5 and a bank of 4 about a yard apart.

3 assists and played the crucial through-ball for the second, too. Great performance regardless of team.

Couldn't have asked for more throughout this qualification.

And Beckham is an artist like, lovely performance to watch tonight. Still think he has a place in the squad.

Also, Alan Green is an absolute cock. Would never tire of punching his face.

RB is so not up-for-grabs.

Mainly due to there being no competition for GJo whatsoever.

You gonna put Wes Brown in there? :lol: or Gary Neville!?

I can't say I fancy the alternatives, no, but Johnson worries me. I think he's a nervous player, and on the big occasion I can see him making a rick and giving a goal away. At the later stages of a World Cup, that's all it would take.

I wouldn't rule out Gary Neville. Hopefully though, Johnson will show more maturity and cement his place, because he has so much to offer overall.

Couldn't have asked for more throughout this qualification.

And Beckham is an artist like, lovely performance to watch tonight. Still think he has a place in the squad.

Also, Alan Green is an absolute cock. Would never tire of punching his face.

Not sure about Beckham. Against decent opposition he'll never get the time on the ball he got today. The match today was like a wet dream for him. And his delivery from corners was pap, btw. But I did enjoy watching him stroke the ball around: particularly one cross-field ball he played first time, without looking, that was inch-perfect. Lovely.

Yeah, the game was perfect for him, but I've always been a massive fan anyway.

His corners were dodgy I suppose, but the margin for error is small the way he whips them in.

Should have got MOM tonight I reckon.

It was between the two of them, I think, and you can't overlook Johnson who put in some great, intelligent balls.

andorra made eng look good tonight, alot of the play was dull; either uncreative or just inaccurate passes. 

if rooney gets injured england have approx 0 chance at wc.

Like I said, we can't really learn anything from tonight's match. FWIW, I think Gerrard is the key.

My main thoughts:

1) Is it viable for Beckham to play the defensive midfield position? Any pace he did have has gone but his passing, as seen tonight, is still absolutely excellent. Worth a go? The question of course is whether he still has the intelligence to buy himself the time to produce those passes, against better opposition.

2) If we don't play Beckham there, please play Carrick ahead of Barry. Much better player and you can see his development through playing with great players.

3) Walcott faces a make-or-break season next year with Arsenal. All I saw tonight was a pacy winger who had little intelligence, constantly running straight into defenders. Yes Andorra packed the defence, but he really didn't use his head.

4) Crouch was once again cumbersome and fairly hopeless. Depressing that we don't have any sort of competent target man.

5) Large chunks of this were the remnants of the McClaren England, relying on long balls and pointlessly trying to play a killer ball far too early. If we kept it simple we probably could have had more. Still, of course, the test comes when we play decent opposition.

We created far, far more chances than we ever would have done under McClaren. Spread the ball far more effectively and looked to deliver balls from wide positions. The only constant is that Jermaine Defoe and Peter Crouch remain wearing white shirts without any significant competitors; their general meh-ness was the only similarity and that's simply down to the standard of player. (Aye, i know... they both scored). I quite like Crouchy Crouch but they harp on about his England record like it's something else... it's not as if he's ever delivered in a truly big game for England. And i don't think he will do.

Rooney would have gone mad in that second half.

My main thoughts:

1) Is it viable for Beckham to play the defensive midfield position? Any pace he did have has gone but his passing, as seen tonight, is still absolutely excellent. Worth a go? The question of course is whether he still has the intelligence to buy himself the time to produce those passes, against better opposition.

Was wondering about this myself. Part of me thinks that he could really pull the strings in midfield alongside the likes Gerrard, but it's partly down to how Capello wants to play.

How on earth is Wayne Bridge in the squad ahead of Leighton Baines? Bridge has been gettign steadily worse and Baines has been getting steadily better.

*Waits for 1878 to come and tell him Baines is s****

Certainly won't be doing that :lol: Baines has been absolutely excellent for the last 6 months.

As for tonight's game, I thought the England side was pretty badly balanced in midfield and unimaginative with its build-up play but you can get away with that against the likes of Andorra. Glen Johnson had a good game but the right back being your sides best attacking threat is pretty poor stuff really. It was only when Defoe came on that there was an edge up front, with Crouch particularly hopeless, and Ashley Young made a bit of a difference to the midfield.

Agree with those who don't rate Walcott btw. I've never been convinced by him, only seems to do it as an impact sub against tired legs. It would be interesting to see how he'd fare with a run of game up front though because he's certainly a s*** winger.