The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Howaythetoon

Wearing a poppy is "doing something" though. The whole point of the appeal is to raise awareness as well as raising money. I don't see that they are "needed" on the England shirt, but I don't see why they shouldn't wear them if they want to.

how much would the british legion draw in if people didn't get a poppy to say "look at me everyone, i'm a caring person", like i say it's all about appearance.

Don't understand what you mean.

if people didn't get a poppy for making a donation i don't think nearly as many people would contribute, hence they are paying to be able to say "look at me, i'm a caring person"

And that is why promoting the poppy is a good thing (RE the bit in bold).

As for the rest of your post, that's quite a sweeping generalisation. I'd argue that the majority of people who buy a poppy do so because deep down they care enough to part with a few quid for a token poppy just as people do when putting spare change into a bucket or whatever. Do they do that to look like they care? Nah, I think charity is ingrained into all of us, we are a very charitable nation of people and in large caring people as the millions of charities around the world that can call on British contributors will testify. As for the poppy, I wear it as a show of pride in my country and, countrymen and other allies for what they did for us all during the war. I imagine most feel that way. In fact everyone I know who wears a poppy wear it out of pride more than anything, a bit like putting on your Toon top on a none match day.

Guest Howaythetoon

As for FIFA wanting to stay neutral... :lol:

Joke of an orginisation. FAs around the world should fuck them off and that would be the end of FIFA.

For all those who haven't seen in chat:

@BBCBreaking BBC Breaking News

FIFA agree to England team wearing poppy on black armbands during Saturday's match with Spain, the FA have confirmed

Can't agree with that tbh. A rule is a rule. Why is it suddenly a problem now, surely we've played matches around the 11th of November before? As an example, let's say a smaller country like Cyprus now want to display a symbol to represent the continued occupation of the Turks in the North of their country, do they get exception too? Or is their commemoration not as important as ours?

I've got huge respect for Rememberence Day and what the poppy represents etc, but this is stupid.

Guest Howaythetoon

Can't agree with that tbh. A rule is a rule. Why is it suddenly a problem now, surely we've played matches around the 11th of November before? As an example, let's say a smaller country like Cyprus now want to display a symbol to represent the continued occupation of the Turks in the North of their country, do they get exception too? Or is their commemoration not as important as ours?

I've got huge respect for Rememberence Day and what the poppy represents etc, but this is stupid.

Agree completely.

What's the fucking difference between an armband with a poppy on and a shirt with a poppy on?

Day 1 - FIFA say we can't have any poppies.

Day 2 - FIFA say we can have black armbands

Day 3 - FIFA say we can have an armband with a poppy on

:lol:

Poppies are wank. It's nothing these days but a trite orthodoxy of "patriotism". A bit similar to the way in which, since 9/11, US politicians all apparently have to wear little stars-and-stripes lapel pins. Why is it suddenly an issue now with the national team? Because we've got a crap Conservative government. FIFA are right about this one.

Bang on.

They're our shirts being worn in our country. I don't see why Fifa have any right to regulate here.

The poppy isn't a religious or political symbol.

Neither is the pink ribbon representing breast cancer awareness. Will the FA be pleading to FIFA about the right to embroider that onto the shirts? Or any number of other symbols. Same goes for any other country.

They're our shirts being worn in our country. I don't see why Fifa have any right to regulate here.

Neither is the pink ribbon representing breast cancer awareness. Will the FA be pleading to FIFA about the right to embroider that onto the shirts? Or any number of other symbols. Same goes for any other country.

That's completely irrelevant. FIFA have no right to assert themselves to this extent.

This.

:thup:

Nearly every other profession in the country, you can wear the poppy in November. Why should International footballers be excluded from this? There'd be hell on if a big company turned around and said "Our employees can't wear poppies at work". In the grand scheme of things, it's should have fuck all to do with FIFA.

That's completely irrelevant. FIFA have no right to assert themselves to this extent.

Aye whatever.

Wouldn't many national badges, sown onto the front of the shirt, contain political or religious sentiments?

Also why are Scotland allowed to sing a fucking song before each game about beating us in a war?

None of that has anything to do with the current debate. The rule is no symbols on the shirts, and the same rule applies for everyone.

We played France at Wembley on 17th November last year. Why didn't this 'outrage' about FIFA's rules happen then? Presumably nobody gives a fuck a few days afterwards. It's massively important to us though, honest.

Wouldn't many national badges, sown onto the front of the shirt, contain political or religious sentiments?

Also why are Scotland allowed to sing a f***ing song before each game about beating us in a war?

Battle, not a war.

Whether it happened last year or not is also irrelevant in the current debate. It's not a political, religious or commercial symbol, therefore FIFA are talking shite.

In that case it's never been political, religious or commercial; we've just never been bothered about having it on before, ever. Why are we suddenly arsed now? Genuinely interested to know what kicked this off.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I'd like to thank David Cameron for telling me what I think on the poppy issue. I thought the opposite, but glad he's corrected me.

Cameron is nothing more than a soulless opportunist, and sensationilst campaigns led by the utterly perdictable tabloid press are bread and butter to this clown.

And I don't give a toss if the national teams of the UK wear or don't wear a poppy - I am never going to be influenced in any aspect of my life by cretins like Ashley Cole, John Terry or "Wazza" Rooney.

And I say all this as someone who buys and wears a poppy.