The England Thread

Pilko

Guest sydneycove

Request for the England team to wear poppies has been denied by FIFA.

I don't get why they don't just wear armbands or/and have a special training kit and flog that off at auction.

Are Setanta Ireland the only people showing this? Livesportontv.com doesn't list any other coverage.

It's on ITV.

I've sometimes found that site misses fixtures on terrestial TV for some reason.

i found it to be pretty awful when using it last season, frequently misses games every day, even your 4pm sunday kick offs.

Are Setanta Ireland the only people showing this? Livesportontv.com doesn't list any other coverage.

It's on ITV.

I've sometimes found that site misses fixtures on terrestial TV for some reason.

i found it to be pretty awful when using it last season, frequently misses games every day, even your 4pm sunday kick offs.

It used to be absolutely spot on and never missed a fixture but over the last year or so it's gone to shit. Regularly misses fixtures off, repeats others twice, has games on the wrong day. No idea what's gone on.

I think the poppy is something of an exception as a symbol, but I can also see the difficulty that FIFA would have in keeping it as an exception if they then get similar requests from other countries.

There are other ways of commemorating Remembrance weekend at the match. Rather than make a fuss over a proposal which we've not put forward for the previous 90+ years, we should draw a line under this particular issue.

We're in danger of wallowing in a sense of moral superiority, which is one of our least attractive features in the eyes of other nations.

Why do they want to wear them now all of a sudden? Surely there are other ways to show respect? Although, I suspect it's easier to simply wear a flower than to actually attempt to modify your behaviour or actually, y'know, do something.

Why do they want to wear them now all of a sudden? Surely there are other ways to show respect? Although, I suspect it's easier to simply wear a flower than to actually attempt to modify your behaviour or actually, y'know, do something.

part of the post diana hysteria. much more important to be seen to do a tiny little than to actually do a great deal in private.........it's all about appearances.

no need for poppies on the england shirt through the last century, why now ?

Wearing a poppy is "doing something" though. The whole point of the appeal is to raise awareness as well as raising money. I don't see that they are "needed" on the England shirt, but I don't see why they shouldn't wear them if they want to.

how much would the british legion draw in if people didn't get a poppy to say "look at me everyone, i'm a caring person", like i say it's all about appearance.

Wearing a poppy is "doing something" though. The whole point of the appeal is to raise awareness as well as raising money. I don't see that they are "needed" on the England shirt, but I don't see why they shouldn't wear them if they want to.

how much would the british legion draw in if people didn't get a poppy to say "look at me everyone, i'm a caring person", like i say it's all about appearance.

Don't understand what you mean.

if people didn't get a poppy for making a donation i don't think nearly as many people would contribute, hence they are paying to be able to say "look at me, i'm a caring person"

if people didn't get a poppy for making a donation i don't think nearly as many people would contribute, hence they are paying to be able to say "look at me, i'm a caring person"

Ah right, I see. Well I suppose you've got a point, they wouldn't give out poppies if they didn't encourage people to donate. But that's a bit like criticising Children in Need for putting on a TV show or Lance Armstrong for selling those armbands... obviously they do it to raise money.

On the other hand, the poppy appeal is also about remembering people who died, so displaying the poppy and raising awareness also helps with that.

Your first point is probably right, but I don't think the logic quite follows.

Guest johnson293

FA should just tell the players to wear them and just pay the fkn fine

According to Radio this morning, FIFA have instructed the officials to stop the game and leave the pitch if the England Players wear the poppies.

FA should just tell the players to wear them and just pay the fkn fine

According to Radio this morning, FIFA have instructed the officials to stop the game and leave the pitch if the England Players wear the poppies.

Yeh , that won't happen.

Ah right, I see. Well I suppose you've got a point, they wouldn't give out poppies if they didn't encourage people to donate. But that's a bit like criticising Children in Need for putting on a TV show or Lance Armstrong for selling those armbands... obviously they do it to raise money.

On the other hand, the poppy appeal is also about remembering people who died, so displaying the poppy and raising awareness also helps with that.

Your first point is probably right, but I don't think the logic quite follows.

it's just that sort of thing has taken a massive hysterical leap since diana, check out any scene of death and the floral tributes etc now are often ridiculous. it's not enough to feel loss, people now need to be seen to feel it.

Ok ignoring FIFA being dicks, here's radical formation

Hart

Johnson    Terry        Jagielka    Cole

Barry

Parker    Milner

Lampard

Walcott                                Bent

I would rather play Richardson ahead of Smith, or even Tavernier at LB, move R.Taylor to RM and let Guthrie play in the middle. Fuck Alan Smith.

Bar that, yeah, I'd rather watch that team than the dross that will be on show for the next friendlies. Reckon Sweden are going to win as well :anguish:

Ok ignoring FIFA being dicks, here's radical formation

Hart

Johnson    Terry        Jagielka    Cole

Barry

Parker    Milner

Lampard

Walcott                                Bent

:joey: