The England Thread

Pilko

Italy only just scraped through their group thanks to a late Spain winner aswell, if were talking about luck.

eh~~~ they would qualified as group winner if the Spain match ended 0-0

How is he right? We were the best team in the group even if we never exactly played that well. To suggest we were lucky is just daft.

EDIT: Lucky to have been dealt such a p*ss easy group, aye.

Dunno against Ukraine i thought we were quite lucky..... in a sense i agree with Pirlo i would'nt go as far him.... i dont think we were outplayed by France we kept them at arms length, the Sweden could have easily gone either way and i felt Ukraine were a bit unlucky.

Having said that i think Pirlo has been a bit stupid here and will only motivate the lads. Oh yeah Italy was top of the group until Spain's late winner.

Italy only just scraped through their group thanks to a late Spain winner aswell, if were talking about luck.

eh~~~ they would qualified as group winner if the Spain match ended 0-0

Oops, my mistake  :facepalm:. I thought they would've went out on head to head.

Pirlo is right but Italy won the world cup in much the same way. Defending, taking their chances and a good deal of luck. So it's a bit rich coming from Pirlo to say we are 'very lucky' to get this far when we haven't lost a game yet.

Gerrard and Hodgson sound confident enough and are saying the right things. It's just a case of whether we can hit form at the right time, but I've seen nothing from Italy to suggest we'll take a pasting here. It'll be a tight game and Hodgson's experience in Italy might work to our advantage because he knows their tactical mindset. If we can play at a quick tempo we may last the distance better than they do. When Croatia upped the tempo Italy looked tired in the latter stages of the game. And we do have some serious pace on our bench.

Goes without saying we need to be tight on Pirlo every time he gets the ball. What odds on an early clattering tackle and yellow card from Parker?

How is he right? We were the best team in the group even if we never exactly played that well. To suggest we were lucky is just daft.

Dunno against Ukraine i thought we were quite lucky..... in a sense i agree with Pirlo i would'nt go as far him.... i dont think we were outplayed by France we kept them at arms length, the Sweden could have easily gone either way and i felt Ukraine were a bit unlucky.

Having said that i think Pirlo has been a bit stupid here and will only motivate the lads. Oh yeah Italy was top of the group until Spain's late winner.

France were shit and despite their abundance of talent in forward positions they carried very little offensive threat (not just against us either). The Sweden game could have went either way, but just because we had to come from behind doesn't mean we were lucky, the fact it allowed us to display our ability to score goals when we needed was actually ecouraging if anything.

Ukraine yeah, first half especially they deserved to lead and if they were a better side they probably would have done, all in all though we comfortably finished top of the group.

p.s. It's just mind games from Pirlo, I doubt he even believes what he's said here.

You don't top the group with 7 points just by being lucky :lol: we had an element of luck in the Ukraine game but would have qualified anyway. We were disciplined and professional against France and Ukraine and showed great spirit to come back against Sweden.

I reckon we'll beat the Italians tonight. It'll not be pretty, or comfortable, but we'll do it.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Had the dodgy goal against Ukraine counted then they would have been lucky - it was offside.

France were s*** and despite their abundance of talent in forward positions they carried very little offensive threat (not just against us either). The Sweden game could have went either way, but just because we had to come from behind doesn't mean we were lucky, the fact it allowed us to display our ability to score goals when we needed was actually ecouraging if anything.

Ukraine yeah, first half especially they deserved to lead and if they were a better side they probably would have done, all in all though we comfortably finished top of the group.

p.s. It's just mind games from Pirlo, I doubt he even believes what he's said here.

Agreed, especially on the mind games part although i think its stupid all this will do is give us more motivation.

Very much looking forward to tonight. This is Hodgson's toughest test yet.

I'm going to predict a 4-5-1 formation just so we can match Italy's midfield. It goes without saying - stop Italy from playing their thing and that should disrupt their rhythm.

He's attempting to play mind games, always dangerous comments to make though.

England were fortunate against both Sweden and Ukraine, means nothing tonight though.

I really don't think we were especially fortunate against Sweden though. The most lucky event of that game was the Swede's first goal.

I just don't really understand what mind games he thinks he's playing. If he'd tried to talk us up a bit more I'd understand.

He's attempting to play mind games, always dangerous comments to make though.

England were fortunate against both Sweden and Ukraine, means nothing tonight though.

I really don't think we were especially fortunate against Sweden though. The most lucky event of that game was the Swede's first goal.

I just don't really understand what mind games he thinks he's playing. If he'd tried to talk us up a bit more I'd understand.

Well I suppose it depends how you look at it, Sweden's first and our winner were both really bad defending/goalkeeping but both had elements of luck. Welbeck's finish was just pure spawn.

Knew what you meant there. :thup:

Agree with you, too. They scored from a counter attack - which they probably won't get too many today - against Spain, and scored from a free kick against Croatia. We won't count Ireland, as harsh as it might sound.