The England Thread

Pilko

I think Roy's the best option at the moment. I don't think in the long term he's totally wedded to defensive football. He's on the conservative side but will allow better players to attack if he unearths some.

Similar to when we appointed Pards IMO. He built our success on a foundation of defensive/tight performances and brought the style in later.

No idea the point of playing a 4-4-2 if as reported Hogson asked welbeck and rooney (who was hilariously the one meant to be picking up Pirlo) to drop deep into midfield to help get control there. They of course failed miserably and ended up doing the worst of both worlds. Oxlaide chamberlain should have played in a midfield 3 instead of Welbeck, and Rooney asked to hold up play at top end of pitch.

Guest taps01

Havent we recently excelled at u17 and u19 level? Obviously they wont be ready for the wc campaign but a 3/4 years down the line we may see a decent batch come through.  I suppose the next lot to step up are the likes of Wilshire, Sturridge, Smalling, Walker, Wellbeck, Cleverley, Rodwell, Jones and Chamberlain to name a few.  obviously there arent many but there is a lot of potential/quality there.  All hope isnt lost yet.

I'd like to know what Brooking has been doing to earn his crust btw, for years he has been going on about we need to do this as we are lagging behind technique wish, yet I'm yet to see any evidence that he's actually done anything about it.

Guest Craig-NUFC

I'd like to know what Brooking has been doing to earn his crust btw, for years he has been going on about we need to do this as we are lagging behind technique wish, yet I'm yet to see any evidence that he's actually done anything about it.

Because he's constantly voted against by other members of the FA and never gets the majority on his side since they're all about £££

I'm not sure if Hodge is the right man to do it but he did something similar in Switzerland 20 years ago. It can't be all him anyway, it needs to be an effort from many.

Finland has never been as close to getting to the tournament as we were with Hodgson. I think Hodgson was picked for England because he knows how to make the teams defense rock solid and was the best choice because of that on limited time\squad. In Finland he relied on Hyypiä\Litmanen\other old players and the youth was brought up after he left so have no idea how he's in bringing younger players through, but almost surely better than Redknapp.

IMO Italy just totally outclassed you in midfield. Compare Gerrard\Parker to Pirlo\De Rossi\Montolivo\Marchisio who are constantly changing positions. You really played well the first 20 minutes when you put the pressure on real high but then Hodgson\the players just decided to sit back the rest of the game. Hodgson got what he wanted but you were just unlucky in the end.

@OptaJoe: 18 - Steven Gerrard has made more tackles than any other player at Euro 2012. Battling.

Slightly embarrassing for Scott Parker imo as the apparently more defensive midfielder...

At one point of the match, Pirlo had the ball and Parker was running in a circle trying to get a hold off him.

So embarrassing.

From the options we have available id say:

Walcott, Sturridge, A Johnson, Young etc are all good enough to trouble those italian fullbacks. If one doesnt isnt doing it in the tournament, use another.

And Ashley Cole, Richards, Jones etc are not so poor at fullback that the above should be held back to compensate either.

Did Roy get the most from what he had?

Had we played with true width a raping through the middle would've been even worse. Gerrard + Parker can't cope with the wide players so narrow, what chance would they have stood if they was exposed?

Merson: "However, you could easily have asked him to go and sit on Pirlo. The guy is 33-years-old and can't run! He was let go for nothing by AC Milan last year as he's past it!"

"The best tacticians I ever played under were George Graham and Harry Redknapp. Those two were head and shoulders above Arsene Wenger and people like that.

Harry would have spotted that straight away. There's no way he would have let that keep on happening. The worrying thing is that Hodgson didn't seem to see it..."

"You need someone up front who's world class and we don't have that in Andy Carroll and Danny Welbeck. How Jermain Defoe doesn't get a game is beyond me because he's still our best centre-forward."

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5293/anguish.png