The England Thread

Pilko

Gerrard announces his retirement. Fair play. Right time.

Atleast 2 years too late. As much as 4 years imo.

I never understand such comments about international retirement. He is a once great and still very good player that made himself available for selection. There was no contractual obligation to pick and start him continuously.

Lallana, Barkley.....

I'm interested to see what sort of player Barkley will be molded into, someone more attacking, or one dictating from further back. He's a rough, uncut diamond and an extraordinary talent.

Yeah well said Baba.  Gerrard was still England's best performer up to quite recently and only a poor World Cup has tainted that. He's going to look back at his International career on the whole and think that he's been an ok England player but could've been better. 

I hope Barkley becomes a proper midfielder, rather than one that is best behind the striker scoring goals, I think the latter will happen though.

What's a proper midfielder though? We suffered for years trying to fit too many proper midfielders into the side. Barkley is exactly the sort of player England have been missing, I would put him in the side first and let the proper midfielders fight it out for the remaining spots.

Gerrard announces his retirement. Fair play. Right time.

Atleast 2 years too late. As much as 4 years imo.

I never understand such comments about international retirement. He is a once great and still very good player that made himself available for selection. There was no contractual obligation to pick and start him continuously.

Lallana, Barkley.....

I'm interested to see what sort of player Barkley will be molded into, someone more attacking, or one dictating from further back. He's a rough, uncut diamond and an extraordinary talent.

I said this after WC10 - we needed to move on from the likes of Gerrard. In the last 4 years we haven't really done anything  that has justified having Gerrard and the like consistently starting for England.

I hope Barkley becomes a proper midfielder, rather than one that is best behind the striker scoring goals, I think the latter will happen though.

What's a proper midfielder though? We suffered for years trying to fit too many proper midfielders into the side. Barkley is exactly the sort of player England have been missing, I would put him in the side first and let the proper midfielders fight it out for the remaining spots.

I don't agree, we were trying to fit Gerrard and Lampard into the side, both are far better as goalscoring midfielders than as CM's that can read the game and control the midfield.

I see England having similar problems in the future, we seem to like having a striker and 3 behind him, but too many of them play in the same area's. We want Sturridge as striker, though he drifts around too much for my liking(and not in the clever sense like Muller), then is it Rooney behind, or Sterling, or Barkley? I think it's going to get messy.

Biggest problem is young English players don't play enough in the PL, CL and now in the national team. Forget Germany & Spain, we won't even get to the level we where at in the 90's / 00's.

Daniel Sturridge is 24 - only had 1 full season of first team action and has just the 15 caps. I don't think he's significantly less talented than a Muller. But his opportunities have been far less.

Biggest problem is young English players don't play enough in the PL, CL and now in the national team. Forget Germany & Spain, we won't even get to the level we where at in the 90's / 00's.

Daniel Sturridge is 24 - only had 1 full season of first team action and has just the 15 caps. I don't think he's significantly less talented than a Muller. But his opportunities have been far less.

It would help if more English players explored opportunities in other leagues.

It would help if more English players explored opportunities in other leagues.

you need to play somewhere first.

It's all about the Benjamins, Deuce.

Was this a Gullit thing?

:lol:

:lol: What's gullit got to do with anything?

I just meant that young English players will get fair better wages here than anywhere else. You only have to look at the talent that went to Chelsea and City to be squad players.

Bah ignore that post, deleted it but you must have quoted it before it was gone.

Gerrard has been a great player, and it's a shame that his international career has ended on a bad note.

In terms of the future, I think we have three great young midfielders in Wilshere, Barkley and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone to anchor them and protect the defence.

Barry (who I'd have taken to Brazil) now looks out of the running. Henderson could possibly do a job but he doesn't really look like a holding player.

Jack Cork has impressed me, but he doesn't seem to be rated by the manager.

I don't entirely disagree with your point, but Sturridge has had more than one season in the first team. He had a half season with Bolton when he was the main striker, was an important part of Chelsea's squad the year they won the CL, and walked into Liverpool's first team after being injured for most of the early season (at Chelsea).