The England Thread

Pilko

the madness ad at half time was embarassing.

So very this. Not exactly a coup for Kronenbourg, getting Suggs to be in an advert and sing Baggy Trousers.

not just suggs, some other madness memebers were there i think. and the motorhead "ace of spades" one worked so well.

Aye, I had to turn it over. The Ace of Spades acoustic version was quality.

The annoying thing is, these players can actually play (Aye, even Milner on his day). They need to be motivated, they need to be given a reason to succeed and they need to want it.

I completely agree on the needing a motivator - I was always part of the "best man for the job regardless of who he is" revolution, but I really think they need an Englishman as manager. It's our only chance of the players getting a boot up the arse and being told that this actually matters.

Playing for England used to be a privilege and an honour, now the majority of them see it as a right.

The sad thing is that regardless of what happens, I'll go into Euro 2012 (if we get there) thinking that we can do well, only to have my hopes dashed once again. It's a sad state of affairs.

The annoying thing is, these players can actually play (Aye, even Milner on his day). They need to be motivated, they need to be given a reason to succeed and they need to want it.

I completely agree on the needing a motivator - I was always part of the "best man for the job regardless of who he is" revolution, but I really think they need an Englishman as manager. It's our only chance of the players getting a boot up the arse and being told that this actually matters.

Playing for England used to be a privilege and an honour, now the majority of them see it as a right.

The sad thing is that regardless of what happens, I'll go into Euro 2012 (if we get there) thinking that we can do well, only to have my hopes dashed once again. It's a sad state of affairs.

:sadnod:

Guest foon

England doesn't need a tactical superhero right now. It needs a figurehead, a motivator.

Please no calls for Nolan.

Think i'll do what most England fans do across the country do at club level and support the best team in the competition. FORZA ESPANA!

"Forza"? Got your latins mixed up I think :lol:

Forca with a stupid accent thing then? I din kna do I? I DON'T SPEAK FOREIGN!!! WISH YOU AND YOUR CRONIES IN BRUSSELS WOULD FUCK OFF! YOU'D ALL BE SPEAKING GERMAN IF IT WASN'T FOR US! MY GRANDAD DIDN'T FIGHT IN TWO WORLD WARS JUST SO THAT YOU COULD SWAN IN ON HERE AND CRITICISE MY KNOWLEDGE OF ROMANTIC LANGUAGE SYSTEMS. EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAND EN-GER-LAND....and so on and so forth etc.

Go Spain  :penis:

Yes, "Vamos España" is also used. That said, none are used that often when cheering "A por ellos" is the most common one.

Then again, I'm Catalan...

Ok, ok.

Anyway, howay the lads! :lol:

Guest Stephen927

I don't think the team needs a motivator, just pulling on the shirt should be motivation enough tbfh.

We have no foundations, imo. There's no proper vision for how the national team should set up and play, nor is there any systematic link between the national team and the clubs- ie like in Germany, where the 4-2-3-1 (4-5-1) system has been embedded into the club sides and youth systems to suit the national teams style of play.

That doesn't help, but of course, there's more to it than that. Our players aren't near as good as we or they think. Simple as that. How many match winners are there in the England line-up? Rooney, Adam Johnson (on the odd occassion)....and that's really about it. Lampard, Gerrard, Walcott, Young or whoever don't brink that spark to the team and we just appear lethargic in our play. A settled line up is also very important. If Capello see's something he likes, for example, a partnership between Baines and Milner or Johnson then he should stick to that and let them settle. In the World Cup Spain played nearly the same team every team. It's not a hidden secret of the universe. A lot of our players come in for one game, whether it be a friendly or qualifier and it's viewed as a trial game for them- if they don't put in the performance of their life then they're disgarded and it was an utterly pointless upheaval for the team.

Personally, I think if we had the option to play Scholes and Hargreaves together in midfield we'd look a lot better. But with practically both of them retired I think it's a long shot at this stage :lol:

It wont be long until everyone pretty much give up on England. I'm nearly at that stage. The fact that most of the players are complete twats really doesn't help....I just find it hard to cheer the likes of Ashley Cole, Ashley Young, John Terry, Andy Carroll etc. Something needs to be done.

It's beginning to really fuck me off that all the blame for England's 'poor' performances is placed at the feet of Capello. The bloke has the best win ratio of any England manager. Maybe, just maybe, we're an average team with only two or three players of genuine quality?

There was enough quality in the side to beat Switzerland today. The system's still too narrow, whether it's the formation or because he picks an unbalanced side, who knows? The second goal was well worked but aside from that, the chemistry between Milner and Baines was utterly non-existant. Same down the right side, you'd have thought Walcott and Johnson have never met each other before.

On top of that, the players play without motivation or confidence, probably cos they can't communicate with the manager properly. I can't deny that there's a lot of bog-standard players in the make-up of the squad, and definitely one or two poxy personalities, but the manager's at the root of our main issues at the moment. Whenever we come up against a team that can pass the ball or has a modicum of pace, we struggle tremendously. We were chasing the game (at home to a very average side) before we've had a chance to dictate it - and that's down to the manager.

The last twenty minutes were painful. Capello on the sideline looking confused, with the full-backs doing nowt but playing long balls. Switzerland played out the draw with ease, even though we had faster players than them and decent players to bring on. Completely ran out of ideas.

Like i've said, we don't have any world-beaters and are miles away from winning a tournament, Capello or no Capello - but it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that the guy hasn't got a clue. I don't think he even knows where the problems are. We won't progress under him.

Hitzfeld has seemingly found a way of a far inferior side to England to get a good result against them.  That puts him ahead of Capello for me.  Also capello seems to be taking lessons from Micky Owen in blaming everything/one apart from himself for these performances and inept tactics shown in these games.  When has capello tactically outdone another manager while England manager....

Hitzfeld has been slated massively in Switzerland for negative tactics and picking the wrong players. He's struggled moreso than Capello has.

The only reason he's finally hit on a winning formula is because two of their longstanding players have retired and they're already basically out of the running to qualify, meaning he's been essentially forced to throw in young players and build for the next tournament.

Something we should have done after the World Cup, bin off every player who will be too old for 2014, get the younger players the caps and experience they need now rather than when it's too late.  Gerrard & Terry will be 34 in 2014, Ferdinand will be 35, Lampard will be celebrating his 36th birthday during the tournament, Gareth Barry, Ashley Cole & Scott Parker will be 33.  None of them should expect to play in the next World Cup & we should not be picking them as first choice players now when there are others who can do just as well (or as badly) but who are 10 years younger.

England's biggest problem is that any coach who did that now (it could have been done right after the last World Cup) would be destroyed by the press.  They get these stupid campaigns started to make sure that their flavour-of-the-month player gets picked despite injury or lack of form and it ends in England taking a half-fit player to an international tournament and claiming that any hopes that the country have rest on that player's shoulders.

We need a coach who isn't going to listen to the press, isn't going to be pressured into picking the big name players despite their lack of form and isn't going to shy away from picking better players from teams outside the top 6 or 7.  We need Capello to do exactly what he promised to do when he took the job.

Target man with 22 in 42 for England. We play one man up top and Crouch isn't even in the squad. Pretty petty from Crouch to spit his dummy out, and just another example of some of the atrocious attitude littered across the squad, but i can't blame him for being pissed off. He should have been in the squad last night.