The England Thread

Pilko

I just think it sends out the wrong message and opens the door for the old rearguard to stick around. I rather have Ox-Chamberlain there instead of Scholes.

they hardly play the same position. i'd rather take scholes than barry

We were worse with Scholes at his peak than with Lampard/Gerrard. Improved when he was moved to the left and didn't lose anything when he retired.

Taking Scholes to the Euros would be a massive step backwards. He never really managed to hit his club form at the international stage either (well, towards the end of his England career anyway).

We have quite a few up and coming players too so I'd rather pick them.

I just think it sends out the wrong message and opens the door for the old rearguard to stick around. I rather have Ox-Chamberlain there instead of Scholes.

Ox is excellent, such a direct player with pace, confidence and trickery. He's the closest in terms of excitement as when Rooney broke through (was it 2004?) so I would definitely take him. I don't know whether Scholes would be any good for England but he still remains a superb footballer and passer of the ball. I hate him though

We were worse with Scholes at his peak than with Lampard/Gerrard. Improved when he was moved to the left and didn't lose anything when he retired.

That's utter shite imo incidentally...the downturn of the England team can be traced back to when Sven felt he had to include Lampard and pushed Scholes out left and into International retirement. Lampard and Gerrard never worked in tandem, at least with Scholes central, we had the 5-1 in Germany to fall back on. Lampard replaced a player he was nowhere near as good as, and also because of his playing style nullified Gerrard.

I can't believe anyone wouldn't have Sturridge in their team. No point in Gerrard et al anymore.

This should have been Capello's mantra after the World Cup. Unfortunately despite saying different, he still selected Barry, Terry et al in the team.

That's utter shite imo incidentally...the downturn of the England team can be traced back to when Sven felt he had to include Lampard and pushed Scholes out left and into International retirement. Lampard and Gerrard never worked in tandem, at least with Scholes central, we had the 5-1 in Germany to fall back on. Lampard replaced a player he was nowhere near as good as, and also because of his playing style nullified Gerrard.

Euro 2004 was the best chance of winning i can remember with Scholes on the left, he had plenty of time before Lampard and Gerrard came along to make an impact and hardly did anything, we got Euro 00 to show for it. He didn't score for something like 30 games by the end.

That's utter s**** imo incidentally...the downturn of the England team can be traced back to when Sven felt he had to include Lampard and pushed Scholes out left and into International retirement. Lampard and Gerrard never worked in tandem, at least with Scholes central, we had the 5-1 in Germany to fall back on. Lampard replaced a player he was nowhere near as good as, and also because of his playing style nullified Gerrard.

Euro 2004 was the best chance of winning i can remember with Scholes on the left, he had plenty of time before Lampard and Gerrard came along to make an impact and hardly did anything, we got Euro 00 to show for it. He didn't score for something like 30 games by the end.

Erm... Paul Scholes was the least of our problems in Euro 2000. Unlike the others, he has an overall game and can play possession football.

The Michael Carrick/Paul Scholes(latter years) type of player isn't valued in British football.

Scholes' goalscoring record pre Sven is very impressive. It was Sven who teamed Scholes and Gerrard on a more permanent basis, after Keegan paired them once in Euro 2000.  Scholes was asked to sit deeper to allow Gerrard to get forward more, and when Lampard came into the side he was pushed left with Gerrard asked to sit. It was a disgrace Sven never gave Scholes a chance to play more advanced of Gerrard, like he did Lampard.

Er, who doesn't value Scholes on his Man U form? If he played like that in an England shirt he would have been. Much like the rest of the England team.

Carrick just isn't that good.

Scholes' goalscoring record pre Sven is very impressive. It was Sven who teamed Scholes and Gerrard on a more permanent basis, after Keegan paired them once in Euro 2000.  Scholes was asked to sit deeper to allow Gerrard to get forward more, and when Lampard came into the side he was pushed left with Gerrard asked to sit. It was a disgrace Sven never gave Scholes a chance to play more advanced of Gerrard, like he did Lampard.

I remember it being the other way round with Gerrard playing the DM. Anyway at World Cup 02 it was Scholes alongside Nicky Butt.

Er, who doesn't value Scholes on his Man U form? If he played like that in an England shirt he would have been. Much like the rest of the England team.

Carrick just isn't that good.

I've explained why you didn't see him in his Manchester United form post Keegan.. before Sven he weas allowed to play more forward and his goals tally pre Eriksson shows that.

I remember it being the other way round with Gerrard playing the DM. Anyway at World Cup 02 it was Scholes alongside Nicky Butt.

It was but only down to Gerrard missing it through injury. It wasn't a case of Scholes playing as a DM ,more of him not having the freedom he had under Keegan, and allowing Gerrard to share the attacking midfield play. We saw it work at its best in the 5-1 in Germany.

Under Sven we played a lot of long-ball, and with Scholes being our best passer of the ball, a lot of the time he wasn't able to get on it enough, mainly because of this reason.

Scholes also had a good understanding with Shearer when Keegan was manager.

Under Sven we played a lot of long-ball, and with Scholes being our best passer of the ball, a lot of the time he wasn't able to get on it enough, mainly because of this reason.

Scholes also had a good understanding with Shearer when Keegan was manager.

And under Hoddle. O0