The England Thread

Pilko

Guest taps01

Team for the friendly: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Young, Welbeck.

Is this official?

Can see that ultimately being the team we use against France. It is the best possible lineup we can muster from this shit squad (though I really don't want to see that cunt Terry there, would much rather see Lescott but I suppose there is some validity in using the Cahill-Terry CB partnership).

I'm hoping that Oxlade-Chamberlain can be that "special something" in our team, the wildcard if you will.

Could very well have a great tournament (if he starts that is!).

If only Gerrard was'nt Captain so he didnt have to be picked  :scared:

Would play Ox and Parker in the centre and Young and Walcott on the wings and Carroll and Welbeck up top....

Bit attacking but who gives a sh*t no one expects us to doing anything including our selfs so might as well attack it.

:lol: Exactly, it's an absurd choice.  Joe Hart all day long for me, said the same last time.

Hart as captain, really? Personally, I really don't see him as leadership material.

:lol: Exactly, it's an absurd choice.  Joe Hart all day long for me, said the same last time.

Hart as captain, really? Personally, I really don't see him as leadership material.

Why?

Prefer him over an average footballer and a cunt to boot.

Hart would be a decent choice imo, has a decent attitude (makes a point of shaking opponents hands at end of matches etc) and the role of the captain is overplayed anyway

Yeah, as long as you have 3 or 4 players in your team with genuine leadership qualities it doesnt matter....

If we look at the Spain team that won the WC they had leaders all over the pitch, thats how you win things ( along with having genuine quality ofc)

Why?

My main reasoning is that I just can't see a goalkeeper being a good choice for captain because, logically speaking, he is unable to be that influential on the pitch. Admittedly, a keeper can inspire his defence by commanding his area well and making top notch saves and I guess you could count that as being an instance of leading by example but I just think that a captain should be an outfield player, one who can basically cover all areas of the pitch.

Hart does seem to be a decent lad and is probably the most likeable player in the England squad but he just doesn't strike me as a leader.

Why?

My main reasoning is that I just can't see a goalkeeper being a good choice for captain because, logically speaking, he is unable to be that influential on the pitch. Admittedly, a keeper can inspire his defence by commanding his area well and making top notch saves and I guess you could count that as being an instance of leading by example but I just think that a captain should be an outfield player, one who can basically cover all areas of the pitch.

Hart does seem to be a decent lad and is probably the most likeable player in the England squad but he just doesn't strike me as a leader.

I don't see why it matters, Gerrard or Terry or Rooney can't be vocal or influential if they don't have the armband on?  It makes little to no difference, I say we give it to Hart who is one of our best players, practically guaranteed to be an ever present, good with the media stuff, etc.

Also we've seen examples like Casillas and Zoff where a goalkeeper has led teams to huge success.

I realise that but guess I'm just one of those people who prefers an outfield player as captain. I am somewhat of a traditionalist in this sense, the way I see it is that a captain should be able to lead a team by his example. Like I've said, a goalkeeper can inspire his defence with world class saves and if he commands his area well but a keeper isn't as involved in a match as the outfield players (as in, a keeper could very well spend an entire half just standing there, watching his team dominate play and possession).

Btw, yes, there should be leaders all over the pitch but having an armband on should mean something and should act as extra motivation for the player wearing it (which is a moot point I guess with Gerrard having it atm).

I'm not sure I agree at all about goalkeepers not being captains tbh, I think Schmeichel would have been a great Man Utd captain if Keane wasn't around for example.  Not saying Hart's quite that influential but he's not an empty vessel either, think he'd certainly rise to the challenge if given the responsibility.  Plus there would hopefully be some longevity there, the way the role has been passed around between Terry and Ferdinand and Parker and Gerrard etc, is a bit of a joke imo.

I'm not sure I agree at all about goalkeepers not being captains tbh, I think Schmeichel would have been a great Man Utd captain if Keane wasn't around for example.  Not saying Hart's quite that influential but he's not an empty vessel either, think he'd certainly rise to the challenge if given the responsibility.  Plus there would hopefully be some longevity there, the way the role has been passed around between Terry and Ferdinand and Parker and Gerrard etc, is a bit of a joke imo.

I guess it depends on who the player is really. If the keeper in question is in the Schmeichel mound, then he could actually be a decent choice for captain. I'd say though that 9 times out of 10, if a keeper is appointed captain, I would question the decision.