The England Thread

Pilko

I like Capello though. He's fucking serious.

And his record is excellent so far.

Yep. He's top drawer.

Liked the way he handled the shitehawk fishing for a headline too. :)

They'll turn on him pretty quickly of course.

When he drops their beloved 'Becks'.  :rolleyes:

As things stand, my squad of 23 would be:

GK: Green, James, Robinson

DF: A.Cole, Terry, Upson, Ferdinand, Lescott, G.Johnson, Bridge

MF: Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Lennon, Walcott, A.Young, J.Cole

ST: Crouch, Rooney, Heskey, Agbonlahor, Defoe

Ashley Young has not played even a half decent game since he got sent off at Sunderland last year, so pretty much 7 or 8 months ago. He needs to really up his game between now and the end of the season to have a sniff.

I would have Milner ahead of him in the squad at the moment, and by a long way.

If and when Joe Cole comes back, I'd like to see Lampard dropped and Gerrard pushed back into that position, to see how that works.

:facepalm:

1 loss in our entire campaign, and you want to mix-it-up? drop Lampard? rly?

Like I said, I'd give it a go, see if we can improve. Why not? We're good, but we're not the world's best at the moment.

I felt that Lampard was dropping back too much, picking the ball up from the defence, so he was often alongside Barry rather than in front of him, where you'd like him to be. Gerrard's that bit more athletic and better at linking the midfield with the attack.

Plus Joe Cole's a very good player, and we should try to find a place for him.

Beckham might be useful in the group stages against the likes of Norway or Ghana, he won't worry a decent defence though, think i'd take him if he plays well for Milan next year. That game should confirm Heskey's swift exit from the starting XI now as least.

Beckham might be useful in the group stages against the likes of Norway or Ghana, he won't worry a decent defence though, think i'd take him if he plays well for Milan next year. That game should confirm Heskey's swift exit from the starting XI now as least.

Why?  Heskey is the best partner for Rooney, who is our best player.  Crouch is crap as well, just as much a donkey as Heskey, oh he's scored against another pub team! Class.

Why?  Heskey is the best partner for Rooney, who is our best player.  Crouch is crap as well, just as much a donkey as Heskey, oh he's scored against another pub team! Class.

Yeah cos Ukraine and Croatia are world beaters. Heskey is no threat whatsoever, Crouch is wasteful but at least gets into goalscoring positions. i'd rather not just rely on Rooney and waste a spot upfront. Heskey invites the long ball as well, absolutely no thanks.

Meant Denmark, they all blend in them lot.

RAACIST! :angry:

:snod:

To be fair, all Crouch can do is score past the teams he's plays against. To call him crap is stupid, he can blatantly do a job.

Heskey has to be there though.

Beckham did fine, he's only ever going to play that sub role and at least he can keep the fkn ball. SWP was terrible until late on, Barry hit two lovely passes for the goals but gave the ball away far too many times apart from that, and he and Lampard were picking the ball up far too deep. Johnson will get mullered by a decent team.

Thought Milner did well - decent utility player with no illusions about his ability. Crouch and Agbonlahor didn't really work at all (goal notwithstanding), Crouch looked far better when Beckham came on.

Guest firetotheworks

Why is it that Beckham is either some sort of god or vastly overrated?

I dont get it, on merit he's easily good enough for the squad, he isn't the savior, but he's f***ing good at what he does, it might be 1 dimensional, but obviously not enough for the decent oppositions to be able to stop him.

In WC06 I thought him, J.Cole and the back 4 were the only players that could say they'd done themselves justice in a system that didn't work.

Guest Heneage

People seem to be forgetting that you take 23 players to this tournament, so in essence two full teams and a spare. You need all sorts of different players to win this tournament, in order to adapt the teams you play, Beckham is one such option. His delivery and passing are still as good as the day he left Manchester United, and if the pace of Lennon, Young, and SWP isn't working he is ideal to bring from the bench to start putting crosses in.

I say Beckham should go, is a great option to have. We aren't going to need Walcott, Lennon and SWP.

As much as I like Heskey I don't think he should be in the first XI. If Defoe can keep up his incredible form it would be cool to see him start with Rooney. No idea if that would work in our system but I hope Capello gives it a go in one of the friendlies before SA.