The England Thread

Pilko

Could be a cover of Top Gun or something. :lol:

Btw, who's the Beckham look-alike back there? Green?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fT26a40q21sP/610x.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Why is it so many of these fucking simpletons are unable to leave the protection of a bus or a hotel without taking their headphones with them?

Chiellini has been their best CB so far. Big blow to them that he'll be missing. As already said, think Carroll would be ideal.

Wasn't it he who dropped a ricket against Croatia?

:thup:

Chiellini has been their best CB so far. Big blow to them that he'll be missing. As already said, think Carroll would be ideal.

Wasn't it he who dropped a ricket against Croatia?

Twas.

Probs his only real mistake all tournament and cost them that win.

Could be a cover of Top Gun or something. :lol:

Btw, who's the Beckham look-alike back there? Green?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fT26a40q21sP/610x.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Why is it so many of these fucking simpletons are unable to leave the protection of a bus or a hotel without taking their headphones with them?

Breathe in.

Think about all your money.

Breathe out.

Etc

Would definitely play Welbeck then. Carroll as impact sub. No pace in their central pairing there.

Thing is I reckon Italian defenders will just have a laugh against Welbeck, as much as I rate him I think he'll be easily delt with. Carroll may be limited and predictable but might just surprise them and bully them, as cliche as it is.

Would definitely play Welbeck then. Carroll as impact sub. No pace in their central pairing there.

Thing is I reckon Italian defenders will just have a laugh against Welbeck, as much as I rate him I think he'll be easily delt with. Carroll may be limited and predictable but might just surprise them and bully them, as cliche as it is.

See what you mean but given how deep England are liable to play aside from the punt there is literally no out ball though. They'll be able to defend on the halfway line, at least with Welbeck it gives the threat of in behind.

I'd probably play Carroll, but it's probably only worth doing so if England are committed to playing a bit more of a possession game and manoeuvring the ball out wide to truly promising angles - rather than long diagonals from the half-way line, or straight balls he can't do much with.

He isn't going to be able to get on every ball, and (especially with the "quality" of England's creative players) not every ball will be a good'un - so to some degree it would be a percentage thing which would require a concerted gameplan and a few tries. I can't see England being so optimistic and attacking, so it's probably better to start with Welbeck in the scheme of England's (probable?) attitude.

I'd probably play Carroll, but it's probably only worth doing so if England are committed to playing a bit more of a possession game and manoeuvring the ball out wide to truly promising angles - rather than long diagonals from the half-way line, or straight balls he can't do much with.

He isn't going to be able to get on every ball, and (especially with the "quality" of England's creative players) not every ball will be a good'un - so to some degree it would be a percentage thing which would require a concerted gameplan and a few tries. I can't see England being so optimistic and attacking, so it's probably better to start with Welbeck in the scheme of England's (probable?) attitude.

Given Scott Parkers ability on the ball I'd say this is a null point :lol:

:lol:

That image of him scrambling around on all fours the other day like a dog, when faced with the agility and skill of a superior technical player is just the perfect representation of the sum of his stature in the game. All commitment, no skill.

Yeah he did make the mistake against Croatia but that aside he was fantastic in both games before his injury.... easily thier best defender.

Although Barzagli has had a fantastic season and him and Bonucci obviously know each other from club level and Abate and Balzaretti are good defensively but dont offer much going forward.

Will be a tough game IMO and i still think this game is 50/50 it could easily go either way..... Italy will have the advantage in midfield so we should try and use the width of the pitch as much as possible as they will play very narrow.

We could possibly gets some joy outwide.

As for Welbeck or Carroll.... theres fair arguments for either one but i do think Roy will go with Welbeck keep the continuity going and all that.

I wonder if he's got a plan for Pirlo. They've got us outnumbered in midfield especially with Gerrard's indiscipline.

Harsh albeit historically correct, I'd say Gerrard has been spot on this tournament tactically.

Abate and Balzaretti are good defensively but dont offer much going forward.

Absolutely the opposite from what I've seen at club level, Abate in particular.

Look at Carrolls hair man :lol: Like a wrestler.

just totally failed at shopping carrolls face on to triple h, but i'll tell you this...it would have been fucking hilarious

Try Edge. Easier fit.

I wonder if he's got a plan for Pirlo. They've got us outnumbered in midfield especially with Gerrard's indiscipline.

Harsh albeit historically correct, I'd say Gerrard has been spot on this tournament tactically.

I agree and said as much, he's been far better in that sense than he usually is - but he's still had moments like against Sweden where he just went wandering as much as he liked.

Italy are likely to play with essentially 4 CMs, all are good on the ball which could be a nightmare against our pairing.

Abate and Balzaretti are good defensively but dont offer much going forward.

Absolutely the opposite from what I've seen at club level, Abate in particular.

Abate has done a complete switcharoo the last year or two. He has improved massively defensive to the point where he actually looks a Milan standard player, but his attacking qualities have deminished. Very bizarre.

Italy will go with a midfield narrow diamond 4 with Pirlo at top of the diamond and Motta at the tip of it and Marchisio and DDR in the middle  they will definitely outnumber us in there no matter how much Rooney drops deep.

The best thing for us to combat this is try to get wide as much as possible and bring our fullbacks forward and try and get in 2 v 1 situations outwide and bring the likes of Marchsio and De Rossi outwide.... then we will have a numbers advantage in the middle and Gerrard and Rooney can stamp thier authority in the middle.

In any case the key for us will be to exploit the lack of width Italy have.