The England Thread

Pilko

Guest icemanblue

Good to see his fairly innocuous comments have been blown thoroughly out of proportion.

Innit, though. He doesn't appear to have a great deal going on between his ears so, when faced with a large group of journos and TV cameras, he's trotted out the cliches at a rate of knots. People harp on about the media sensationalising every little story, yet they still fall for it, and join in themselves, nearly every time.

I think a fully-fit Lukaku would be frightening.

Would be interested to know more about this Belgian wave, mind. Was it a change in youth development? From the outside, seems bizarre a fairly average European country has, at the same time, got a dozen or so top-class players coming through.

I'd lean slightly towards Benteke at this point in time, but both excellent. Lukaku's off the ball movement and awareness isn't fantastic at this stage IMO.

That's something I've picked up on so far. But, as I say, I'm pretty convinced he isn't even fully fit yet.

Benteke is oustanding like. There's no need, Belgium.

Why would he be better off playing for Belgium with a view to achievements?

http://imageshack.com/scaled/800x600/843/xf5c.jpg

A whole lot of talent in that squad. The only real weakness is at fullback.

Forecasting the performance/achievements of national sides based on personnel seems a bit outdated to me. It's about teams and how well players interact together.

Look at France (and to a lesser extent) England. They have enough good players to be dominant forces in football, but barely manage to look more convincing than your Russias/Swedens/Uruguays etc (if at all).

Seen nothing as yet to suggest that Belgium can threaten Germany/Spain in terms of dominance. They're a threat for traditionally bigger teams in one-off ties by virtue of the calibre of their players, but in terms of over a tournament they're as unproven as they've ever been IMO.

I'm always a bit underwhelmed when I look at Belgium on paper, everyone talks about them like they're an awesome force of football quality.

They have a fair number of good players, obviously, but it seems slightly over the top the way they're lauded.

I'm always a bit underwhelmed when I look at Belgium on paper, everyone talks about them like they're an awesome force of football quality.

They have a fair number of good players, obviously, but it seems slightly over the top the way they're lauded.

Bit sick of people prattling on about Belgium at the minute.

Individually they've an excellent squad but I don't think they'll go as far next summer as some people are suggesting.

I'm now not sure if Belguim are overrated or underrated  :hmm:

Good to see his fairly innocuous comments have been blown thoroughly out of proportion.

Innit, though. He doesn't appear to have a great deal going on between his ears so, when faced with a large group of journos and TV cameras, he's trotted out the cliches at a rate of knots. People harp on about the media sensationalising every little story, yet they still fall for it, and join in themselves, nearly every time.

Players make comments, comments are overblown, player stops bothering with the press, press whinge about lack of access and players being aloof. Rinse and repeat.

Forecasting the performance/achievements of national sides based on personnel seems a bit outdated to me. It's about teams and how well players interact together.

Look at France (and to a lesser extent) England. They have enough good players to be dominant forces in football, but barely manage to look more convincing than your Russias/Swedens/Uruguays etc (if at all).

Seen nothing as yet to suggest that Belgium can threaten Germany/Spain in terms of dominance. They're a threat for traditionally bigger teams in one-off ties by virtue of the calibre of their players, but in terms of over a tournament they're as unproven as they've ever been IMO.

Spot on, particularly the last bit.

I've not read anything that suggests more than that. A collection of highly talented individuals who must prove they can play as a single unit against the very best. Definitely a sleeper in Brazil.

They have steamrolled through their qualifying group to this point.

Fair point, I just thought it was a shame to have such a young and talented player coming out with that stuff about English blood and thunder.

Sometimes you can see why Mourinho didn't think Lukaku was ready for Chelsea. His play on the ball isn't great, his feet aren't that fast. He's scary for CBs to face up against, but he still has a long way to go IMO, the hype is over the top.

He's 20. The hype isn't OTT. He's better than 95% of 20 year-old strikers. If he works hard on his game he'll be among the best in the world. He's already one of th top 10 strikers in the division.

I'd have Benteke over him if for some reason we could have one for a season. Barely though.

IMO Belgium have maybe the 4th/5th strongest squad in Europe. Spain, Germany, Italy.. maybe the Dutch who have establishde world class players in certain positions.

Biggest weakness with Belgium is age and experience.

From country that didn't always make the finals of tournaments to one of the strongest it's a big jump

Lukaku over hyped? No chance.

That's a 20 year old we're talking about.

Incredible potential, and more impressively has the hunger and attitude to succeed.

Seems a quality guy.

Sometimes you can see why Mourinho didn't think Lukaku was ready for Chelsea. His play on the ball isn't great, his feet aren't that fast. He's scary for CBs to face up against, but he still has a long way to go IMO, the hype is over the top.

Ask Lescott that.  :whistle: