The England Thread

Pilko

Rooney ruins the equilibrium of the team, he's not bad, just doesn't fit. It should be three in midfield and three up top with Sturridge through the middle.

Fully agree with this. Rooney and Gerrard are too similar in that they both need to operate in space and be on the ball constantly.

I think Rooney is at his best as a withdrawn striker in a 4-4-2, but he can still be effective in any of the forward positions in a 4-3-3.

Basically, he's too good to leave out.

Guest neesy111

Still to this day wished we signed Sturridge, rate him highly.

Even if we had. He wouldn't still be here :lol:

True. :(

The England team has a lot of promise at the moment  think. Had some decent bits of play yesterday.

Really thought he should have just played Rooney off Sturridge from the outset though.

Rooney will track back and drop deep, and so it will look like a 4-3-3 anyway, as it seems he was hesitant to play 2 upfront.

Could have then played Gerrard and Wilshere central, and had another winger on with Sterling.

Now that would have been a lot more interesting. He should be trying that out now, to see if it works form a possession standpoint, and defensively too.

England have so many dangerous options to bring on though. Lallana, Townsend, Ox, Barkley. Just need to nail down the starting 11.

The England team has a lot of promise at the moment  think. Had some decent bits of play yesterday.

Really thought he should have just played Rooney off Sturridge from the outset though.

Rooney will track back and drop deep, and so it will look like a 4-3-3 anyway, as it seems he was hesitant to play 2 upfront.

Could have then played Gerrard and Wilshere central, and had another winger on with Sterling.

Now that would have been a lot more interesting. He should be trying that out now, to see if it works form a possession standpoint, and defensively too.

England have so many dangerous options to bring on though. Lallana, Townsend, Ox, Barkley. Just need to nail down the starting 11.

I reckon our front 6 are actually pretty decent and they are all relatively young so the future is there. I reckon our front 6 should be:

Sturridge

Lallana          Rooney    Sterling

Gerrard    Wilshere

That looks pretty balanced, Rooney can drop deep if needed, Lallana and Sterling can help create them moments of creativity, with Gerrard and Wilshere dictating play, and Sturridge scoring the goals. and as you say if its not working we would have options on the bench to change the game.

The problem with England at the moment is the back 4 (Or five depending on how you rate Hart), other the Baines, our defense is pretty shoddy, and we don't really have anyone for cover. Even though we kept a clean sheet yesterday, we still let an average Denmark side split our defense on several occasions. I know Jagielka has a partnership with Cahill, but if either of them get injured we are screwed, as Smalling or any over cover just aren't good enough. I also don't trust either Walker or Johnson at right back, and against the better teams at the World cup, we are going to get found out.

Think Gerrard and Wilshere are the best options, as far as establishing any kind of decent passing and possession. Wilshere will run with the ball effectively too, which none of the other England CMs tend to do.

Who else would you have in there? Don't really like the other options as much.

Gerrard & Wilshere isn't the most athletic of CM partnerships.

There's a problem here, because in the current squad we don't have anyone who is naturally good at protecting the back four. If anyone gets past our midfield, then they stay past.

The best available candidate is Barry IMO, but if he stood any chance of making the squad, he'd have done so by now. Personally, I'd pick him, but there's no chance of it happening.

In his absence, I'd have Wishere, Ox and Gerrard as my midfield three, but other options like Lallana and Barkley run them very close.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Possession football? England?  :yao:

The encouraging thing is that we have good and young counterattacking players so I'd rather set up to get the best out of them. The likes of Sturridge, Lallana and  Sterling would cause more havoc in any defense when breaking from deep rather than the slow buildup play that we usually see.

Think Gerrard and Wilshere are the best options, as far as establishing any kind of decent passing and possession. Wilshere will run with the ball effectively too, which none of the other England CMs tend to do.

Who else would you have in there? Don't really like the other options as much.

Honestly it's a bad position to be in. Both of them are good on the ball but both lack genuine athleticism and defensive know-how. I would play a genuine flat midfield 3 where the both of them can spend more time deep. I would go with a flat 3 or at least a #10 that is actually a midfielder e.g. AOC instead of Rooney. But even that's paper thin and positionally suspect.

Henderson could do a job of just closing people down IMO.

He certainly looks like he could, but he doesn't get used in that way for club or country.

I'd say there are better midfield players ahead of him. He looks a good all-rounder, but not one to make an impact at the very highest level.

Rooney must be due for his injury which doesn't rule him out of the tournament but makes him unfit and under pressure to rescue the campaign when he comes back in the second or third group game by now, right?

Serious question: would anyone take Crouch? Rodriguez doesn't look international quality, Welbeck... the jury is out, AC9 hasn't played any football, Lambert is possibly not what we need... and PC does have a class international record, offers something different.

I'm not saying I definitely would, but I'd consider it.

While there is obviously a need for grass roots reform and so on, I think currently we should take advantage of the fact we have good young forward thinking players in our squad. Lallana, Barkley, Sturridge, Sterling, Ox, Wilshere provide me with hope for the future. We're not a possession side, but we have good young talent coming through. Let's utilise that and play to their strengths. That starts with Sturridge playing in his best position.

Rooney must be due for his injury which doesn't rule him out of the tournament but makes him unfit and under pressure to rescue the campaign when he comes back in the second or third group game by now, right?

Serious question: would anyone take Crouch? Rodriguez doesn't look international quality, Welbeck... the jury is out, AC9 hasn't played any football, Lambert is possibly not what we need... and PC does have a class international record, offers something different.

I'm not saying I definitely would, but I'd consider it.

Have you just said you're considering Peter Crouch? Am i reading this correctly?

Far rather take Carroll than Crouch like.

Wouldn't be in question were it not for the disaster of a season Carroll has had. We see every two years what happens when you take forwards who aren't fully fit/are coming back from an injury (Rooney every tournament, Owen '06, Heskey '10... etc)